Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one. - Albert Einstein

Wednesday, January 29, 2003

I Want My Temple

A reader alerted me to this story.  Here in America our actresses run their mouths and prove what idiots they are.  In Southeast Asia they start riots.

Posted by Lee on 01/29/03 at 10:51 PM in Celebrity Idiots  • (1) TrackbacksPermalink

Arthur Goes Off

Arthur Silber weighs in on the State of the Union speech last night, and damn, is he pissed off.  Here’s a taste:

I have a question: why is it that even conservatives assume that it is the government that has to do everything? History has demonstrated repeatedly that, if you simply leave matters such as the development of hydrogen-powered automobiles to the private sector, the private sector will do it more efficiently, faster, and with better results—that is, if in fact such an invention is useful, and profitable (and how profitable it is will demonstrate more powerfully, and more objectively, than anything else whether it is a useful and valuable idea).

For the record I agree with everything that Arthur writes in this post.  And, for the record, Arthur is the idealist I wish I could be. Because even though I fully agree with Arthur, I also play the pragmatist and realize that the positions he espouses, positions I wholeheartedly agree with, simply will not win elections.

Bush is growing the government at an asinine rate, which I am wholly against.  I have three options available to me:  vote Libertarian, vote Democrat, or vote Republican and try to infuse libertarian ideals into the GOP.  The first two options achieve the same result, a vote for the Democrats.  The third is the least-worst option available to me.  It sucks, but that’s the way I see it.

Posted by Lee on 01/29/03 at 09:57 PM in Politics  • (1) TrackbacksPermalink

Ballistic Goatfuck

Here’s some news on the asinine subject of “ballistic fingerprinting.”

Two related California studies to be released this week conclude it is currently impractical to catalog the ballistic “fingerprints” of every firearm in California, findings that gun-control opponents are using to fight calls for a national database inspired by last fall’s East Coast sniper shootings.

Recording every firearm made and sold in the nation’s most populous state could be overwhelming, according to an internal California Department of Justice report obtained by The Associated Press last fall.

Well, this should be great news for our attorney general, right? Wrong.  He’s so dead set implementing this fucking thing that he simply can’t stand the fact that it doesn’t work.

Posted by Lee on 01/29/03 at 09:43 PM in 2nd Amendment  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Bang Bang

I wonder how long it’s going to be until the major media pounce all over this.

The 7-year-old daughter of a Houston police officer used a revolver found in a bedroom of her family’s Deer Park home and fatally shot herself while she and three siblings were in the care of their 13-year-old sister.

Dovie Caroline Hill, whose seventh birthday was Friday, shot herself on the left side of her head while she was in the master bedroom of the family’s single-story brick home in the 100 block of W. 4th St., Deer Park police Lt. Omar G. Akmal said.  The child was taken by helicopter to Memorial Hermann Hospital, where she died less than an hour after the 8:15 p.m. shooting Monday.

Michael Moore lives for this type of tragedy.

Posted by Lee on 01/29/03 at 09:35 PM in 2nd Amendment  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Osama Speaks

Tim Blair managed to get a transcript of Osama bin Laden’s State of the Union speech.

IN the interests of fairness and balance we present Osama bin Laden’s 2003 State of the Union address, as delivered yesterday to his ecstatic followers: MR Speaker, distinguished guests, earthworms and remains of faithful old kidney dialysis machine, as we gather tonight, our cause lies in ruin. Yet the forces of jihad have never been stronger!

The Western devil, he is trembling and broken, even though a massive number of our operatives in the Middle East, Asia, and Europe have been captured or killed, Afghan women are openly attending schools, and I’m a smorgasbord for centipedes. Jihad marches on.

Go read the whole thing, it’s great.

Posted by Lee on 01/29/03 at 02:43 PM in War on Terror/Axis of Evil  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

European Priorities

Well, they may not have the balls to stand up to Iraq, but they’re alll over the problem of pig boredom.

FARMERS throughout the country have 90 days to put a toy in every pigsty or face up to three months in jail.

The new ruling from Brussels, which is to become law in Britain next week, is to keep pigs happy and prevent them chewing each other.

Official instructions to farmers are to give pigs “environmental enrichment” by providing “manipulable material”, which the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs last night defined as balls.

Terrorists? Perfectly acceptable. Murderous dictators?  Not a problem.  Farmers who don’t put a ball in their pig sty?  90 days in jail.  Good to see where European proirities lie.

(Link via The Corner.)

Posted by Lee on 01/29/03 at 09:34 AM in Europe and the UK  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Tuesday, January 28, 2003

State of the Onion

A few people have written to ask me what I thought of the State of the Union address tonight.  I didn’t get home in time to see any but the last ten minutes of it, unfortunately.  I did manage to catch this, which for me was music to my ears:

THE COURSE OF THIS NATION DOES NOT DEPEND ON THE DECISIONS OF OTHERS.

Finally, a president who is more concerned with doing the right thing for America than he is with his legacy, or making friends with the pussies of the EU.  You want to party with the big boys, France and Germany?  Put up or shut your fucking pie holes.

Posted by Lee on 01/28/03 at 11:56 PM in Politics  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

The Coward Speaks Again

I almost hate to give this nimrod any more blogtime, but he seems to have a real hard-on for me and can’t just let sleeping dogs like.  Oh well.  Brian Little, the webmaster and coward-in-chief over at Pixelforge, has written yet another one of his inane posts about your beloved host.  Take a look at this shit, then continue reading below.

A few things in response:

1. If you send me an email it is assumed to be for publication unless you specify otherwise.  I get roughly 30 emails a day from readers, and once in a blue moon I’ll post one.
  2. If you use your real name on your blog or in your email I will do the same.
  3. Do not assume that since I pay attention to you that you are getting under my skin.  Brian, you mean less to me than my navel lint.  You have latched onto me like a parasite, most likely because a link on Right-Thinking is the only way you can get any traffic. You’ve written, what, five or six posts about me?  And you’ve deleted my comments and blocked me from posting any more.  You’re a pathetic coward. Get a life.
  4. You seem overly concerned about me posting your real name and email address here, yet you then decry the fact that I keep my identity a secret. Boo fucking hoo, Brian.  The reason I keep my info a secret has to do with my employer.  I work for a company with a major public presence, and they don’t like employees who stir up shit, even on their own time.  I’ve been honest about my first name, where I live, and a number of personal details from my past--places I’ve lived, my military record, and so on.  That should be enough.  I blocked my WHOIS information because I didn’t want my home address broadcast to the world.  If you don’t want people to have your name and email, don’t post them publicly.

You’re like one of those annoying poodle dogs that keeps yapping at your ankles no matter how many times you kick it in the ass.  Go latch on to someone who gives a shit.

Posted by Lee on 01/28/03 at 08:56 PM in Left Wing Idiocy  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Susan Sarandrone

Yesterday I went into great detail over Janeane Garofalo’s comments regarding the Iraq situation.  In that post I wrote the following:

See what I mean? “I want to say anything I want, but you shouldn’t be able to criticize me for it.” Bush gets called a warmonger by celebrities, which I think is an entirely unfair criticism, but if someone dares to make the suggestion that a particular celebrity is (gasp!) being less than patriotic, well, that’s just unforgivable!

To show just how astute that observation was, take a look at the latest spewing from überleftie Susan Sarandon.

Posted by Lee on 01/28/03 at 08:11 PM in Celebrity Idiots  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

It’s All Poppa’s Fault

I jus caught this from Reuters.  It’s a basic overview of tonight’s State of the Union address. Nothing much to comment on until I came to this paragraph:

He faces the task of convincing wary Americans that Iraq represents such a threat that U.S. troops may be required to attack that nation, 12 years after his father won the Gulf War but left Iraqi President Saddam Hussein in power.

Uh, that’s not exactly the truth.  Bush Sr. was fully prepared to charge on to Baghdad and take care of this asshole once and for all, but the hand-wringers in the United Nations and Europe wouldn’t support it. Bush, in a grand gesture of conciliation, made the decision not to proceed.  And now we find ourselves right back where we started.

It would truly be astonishing if, just once, the major media were accurate and honest about the facts surrounding this impending war.

Posted by Lee on 01/28/03 at 02:00 PM in The Press Machine  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

No War On Mumia

Ever wonder just what opposition to the war in Iraq has to do with freeing a convicted cop killer?  Byron York has the numbers over at National Review Online.

Posted by Lee on 01/28/03 at 09:43 AM in War on Terror/Axis of Evil  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Fuq Iraq

A friend emailed me this today.  I have no idea whether it is real or whether it’s a Photoshop job.  Either way, it’s pretty damn funny.

image

In case you are wondering, the ship in the picture is the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72).

Posted by Lee on 01/28/03 at 12:35 AM in Fun and Humor  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Monday, January 27, 2003

Fisking Janeane

Since I started this blog I’ve written a number of fiskings.  Most have been in response to celebrity idiots like Barbra Streisand or Woody Harrelson, or loudmouthed blowhard idiots like Michael Moore.  But this morning I saw a link on Drudge to a Washington Post story about one of my favorite female entertainers, Janeane Garofalo.

image

Before we continue, an aside:  generally speaking, I don’t think women comedians are very funny.  There are a few notable exceptions, like Lucille Ball, or Roseanne, but by and large women comedians are usually very limited in what they talk about.  Janeane was an exception.  I’ve been a fan of hers since she was on the old Ben Stiller show a decade ago.  I think she’s extremely attractive, with a great screen presence to match her acerbic wit, which is what makes the following all the more painful to write.  But, I am a pundit, and thus I go where I am needed, and Janeane is really talking out of her ass here.

Posted by Lee on 01/27/03 at 11:10 PM in War on Terror/Axis of Evil  • (1) TrackbacksPermalink

You Must Read This

I know every blog in the world is linking to this, but it really is worth it.  Take 10 or 20 minutes and read Bill Whittle’s latest post over at Eject! Eject! Eject!.

Posted by Lee on 01/27/03 at 08:45 PM in War on Terror/Axis of Evil  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Black Students, White Liberals

There’s a great column in The Oregonian which is a good follow-up to my previous post on the way the educational system treats white and minority students and parents.

First New Jersey produces a “dumbed-down"version of a pamphlet to cater to ostensibly “dumbed-down” black parents.  Now we have the Oregon education system wanting to boost minority students’ grades artificially to make the school system look better under the No Child Left Behind Law.  Do yourself a favor and read the column.

Why the hell black families keep voting en masse for white liberals I will never understand.  One party, the Democrats, thinks blacks are stupid and must rely on the benevolence of white liberals and the largesse of the public coffers. The other party, the Republicans, thinks that black families deserve a good, fair education, and wants to give them choice in the school their children go to. Yet blacks vote overwhelmingly for the former.

Perhaps if they were better educated they would be able to see through the lies and soft racism of the left, which is probably why the left aims to keep them stupid and uneducated.

Posted by Lee on 01/27/03 at 02:04 PM in Life & Culture  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink
Page 2 of 10 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »