You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life - Albert Camus

Monday, January 27, 2003

Big Pussy

This is delightful news.

A mother was killed and dismembered by her sons who tried to disguise the slaying by chopping off her head and hands the way they saw it done on an episode of “The Sopranos,” authorities said Monday.

Jason V. Bautista, 20, and his 15-year-old half brother, who was not identified because of his age, were arrested over the weekend for investigation of murder in the death of their mother, Jane M. Bautista, 41, Sheriff Michael S. Carona said at a news conference.

Now, how soon will it be before we start hearing calls to ban The Sporanos?

Posted by Lee on 01/27/03 at 02:00 PM in Life & Culture  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

CounterStrike

A young man has been shot in yet another senseless death attributed to handgun violence.  This time it appears that the shooting was over, of all things, a video game.  Strangely enough, this happened in the violence-free handgun-free utopia of Canada.

Christian Kwee was an average 17-year-old from the suburbs. He wasn’t brilliant at high school, but he was hoping to get into college. The Grade 12 student, however, had a talent for playing video games, and loved to hang out with friends perfecting his skills.

When Mr. Kwee died last Saturday, it was in an Internet caf. Police believe the violence on the video screen may have tragically spilled into the room. Witnesses say he was shot to death because he was too good—murdered by someone he had just beaten at the popular game Counter-Strike .

“The hardest part to comprehend,” RCMP Corporal Pierre LeMaitre said, “is that the victim was just a young man out with friends, enjoying himself early in the evening—at 7:30 p.m.—and he was a victim of this kind of violence.”

I just find it astounding that this could happen. I mean, according to Michael Moore this type of senseless violence just doesn’t happen in Canada. They have free health care!  Canadians don’t lock their doors!  Canada requires all handguns to be registered!

How could this have happened?  It’s just not possible!

Posted by Lee on 01/27/03 at 09:30 AM in Michael Mooron  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Oakland Raiders Rioters

Proving what a classy community Oakland is, Raiders fans decided to take to the streets after tonight’s Superbowl loss and, well, riot.

Rowdy crowds set cars on fire and threw rocks and bottles at passing vehicles in the wake of the Oakland Raiders’ Super Bowl loss Sunday, while police in riot gear used tear gas and huge squads of officers to respond to the trouble.

No details were immediately available about arrests or injuries, but some parts of Oakland were the scene of repeated running skirmishes between police officers and crowds.

At least two cars were set on fire, and a television news van had its windows broken. One group of young men set debris on fire in the middle of a street and then posed for news photographers.

Tear gas wafted through the area.

Charming.  And they wonder why the murder rate in Oakland is skyrocketing.

Posted by Lee on 01/27/03 at 12:31 AM in Cullyforneah  • (1) TrackbacksPermalink

Sunday, January 26, 2003

Quote of the Day

From Eugene Volokh:

Look, I’m no great fan of government. Governments, including the U.S. government, do lots of bad things. They also sometimes do good things, and, more importantly, they sometimes do necessary things.

Our government, like all governments, should be viewed with caution and skepticism. But not with a naked contempt that seems to take the view that the U.S. government is so pervasively evil that any allegations against it, however harsh and unsupported, are fair game.

Posted by Lee on 01/26/03 at 11:23 PM in Deep Thoughts  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Steak and Blowjob Day

I received this email literally 30 seconds ago.  I’m posting it will full headers, exactly as I received it.

Return-Path:
Delivered-To: right-thinking-com-lee@right-thinking.com
Received: (qmail 24090 invoked from network); 27 Jan 2003 05:04:27 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO for.all) (211.250.167.3)
by jameskenefick.com with SMTP; 27 Jan 2003 05:04:27 -0000
Message-ID: <001011a0aa43$bbe21000$50381633@itpedep.wmq>
From: “A NEW HOLIDAY”
To: all man kind
Subject: A NEW HOLIDAY
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 20:50:03 +0800
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook IMO, Build 9.0.2416 (9.0.2910.0)
Importance: Normal

A NEW HOLIDAY
Every 14th of February you get the chance to display your fondness for your wife or girlfriend by showering her with gifts, flowers, dinner, shows and any other baubles that women find romantic.
Secret...guys feel left out. That’s right...left out. There’s no special holiday for the ladies to show their appreciation for the men in their life. Men as a whole are either too proud or just too embarrassed to admit it. Which is why a new holiday has been created.
March 20th is now officially “Steak & Blowjob Day.”
Simple, effective and self-explanatory...this holiday has been created so your ladies can have a day to show your man just how much you love him.
No cards, no flowers, no special nights on the town-the name of the holiday explains it all...just a steak and a BJ. That’s it.
This twin pairing of Valentine’s Day and Steak & Blowjob Day will usher in a new age of love as men everywhere will try THAT much harder in February to ensure a more memorable March! It’s like perpetual love machine.
The word is already spreading, but as with any new idea, it needs a little push to start the ball rolling. So spread the word, and help bring love and peace to this crazy world.

Posted by Lee on 01/26/03 at 10:08 PM in Fun and Humor  • (1) TrackbacksPermalink

Go Bucs

Posting will be light today.  I’m heading to my friend Dave’s house for his second annual Superbowl Spectacular.  Since the Raiders beat the Titans to get into the game I’m going to have to root for the Buccaneers.  The #1 offense against the #1 defense should make for a hell of a game though.

If you’re going to a party or to a bar to watch the game, drink up, but drive safely.

Update: Oakland 21, Tampa Bay 48.  Oakland is crying in its collective beer, making this victory oh so sweet. :)

Posted by Lee on 01/26/03 at 11:43 AM in Etcetera  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Bugs and Gays

Continuing the discussion from the previous post, Arthur Silber goes on a tear about being gay, the Thacker controversy, the government, and bug chasers.  Here’s a sample:

And there is a disturbingly large number of young gay men having unprotected sex.  But this brings me back to the Thacker business: is it any wonder that young gay men would be likely to engage in self-destructive behavior, when they continue to hear extremely negative messages about who they are in the most basic sense, and particularly when they hear those messages from people in “high places”?  When a young man of 18 or 20 hears a number of people talk about how gays themselves are inherently blameless in some unspecified manner, but somehow their behavior is sinful --how in the world do you think a person will process that information?

Be sure and read the whole post, it’s great.  And on the same note, Rachel Lucas chimes in on the subject.

Posted by Lee on 01/26/03 at 12:25 AM in Life & Culture  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Saturday, January 25, 2003

The Truth About Bugs

A reader has emailed me asking my opinion on the recent phenomenon, detailed in Rolling Stone magazine, about so-called “bug chasers,” gay men who actively seek to become infected with HIV. Immediately after the publication of the story Andrew Sullivan, himself an HIV+ gay male, denounced the story, writing in a story on Salon that the sources of facts in the Rolling Stone article are less than credible. Indeed, the doctors quoted in the story are now claiming that they were either misquoted or have had words attributed to them that they never said.

I was going to write my own post on the subject, but I just read one written by Tim Cavanaugh over at Reason Magazine’s blog, Hit & Run.  Tim makes a lot of the same points I was going to, and adds a lot more data.  I highly recommend reading his post if you have an interest in this subject.  Be sure and read the comments at the end, too.

Posted by Lee on 01/25/03 at 08:01 PM in Life & Culture  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

That Boy Ain’t Right

Check out this idiot had to say about your beloved host over at Pixelforge.  Be sure and read my comments.

Update: Fuckwit over at Pixelforge replied to my original comment, so about an hour ago I wrote a detailed response.  I just checked back to see if anyone else had responsed and the fucking gutless coward has deleted it.  What a spineless fucking pussy.  Nancy-boys shouldn’t blog.  If you can’t handle the heat then stay in the house and watch TV.

Update 2: Fuckwit, otherwise known as Brian Little, just sent me an email.  Here’s the text of it:

What? I thought you weren’t coming back!

Heh. Pardon me while I laugh my ass off. I don’t feel obligated to permit my website to be used for that kind of foulmouthed argument. Cya ‘round, Lee.

Brian

My response:  Then why have comments?  And (gasp!) I dared to use a couple of swear words!  The fact is, fucktard, you were bested and you know it.  Ritter is a scumbag who likes little girls, and you see nothing wrong with it, because you feel 16 year olds are mentally mature enough to consent to watching married 40 year olds masturbate in the parking lot of a Burger King.

If you can’t handle what other people are going to write, don’t have comments.  Selectively deleting comments when people are directly responding to you makes you look like a pathetic coward.

This guy typifies the type of gutless left-wing pussy that we are all exposed to on a daily basis. Michael Moore, who deletes his own messages and takes down his discussion forums, is the king of this mindset.

Update 3: Brian Little, affectionately known as the gutless fuckwit, has removed all the comments from his multitide of posts relating to me, and disabled the ability to leave comemnts to those posts entirely.  He truly is an utter coward, big on writing numerous posts bashing me and this blog, then running away like a French soldier once I dared to write back.  I suppose I shouldn’t have expected anything better from a paranoid leftie.

Posted by Lee on 01/25/03 at 04:29 PM in Left Wing Idiocy  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Death Penalty Musings

We all heard the story about the recent mass commutation of death row convictions in Chicago by outgoing Governor Ryan.  Now yet another death row convict has been freed, this time in Florida.

After 16 years on death row, Rudolph Holton stepped out from a prison’s razor wire fences and stood in the bright sunlight and crisp, cold air.

“Freedom is like a feeling you really can’t describe,” said Holton, who became a free man Friday when prosecutors determined they didn’t have enough evidence to retry him for the 1986 murder of a Tampa teen.

Earlier Friday, prosecutor Mark Ober had announced in Tampa that Holton would not face a new trial.

“Due to the unreliability of witness testimony and the lack of physical evidence, the state of Florida cannot proceed to trial,” Ober wrote in a document filed in Florida Circuit Court.

Now, I’m on the record as being as pro-death penalty as anyone else out there.  Some people don’t deserve to live on this planet.  But, that being said, we really need to begin to take a look at the death penalty if we hope to keep it in place.

Posted by Lee on 01/25/03 at 02:45 PM in Life & Culture  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

How Right I Was

In the comments section to It’s A Conspiracy, Part II, my post about the fire at Al Sharpton’s office, I wrote, “As a shrewd politician and experienced race-baiter I have no doubt that Al Sharpton is going to milk this freak accident for all it is worth. Like I said, Hitler had the Reichstag, and now Al has this.”

How true that turned out to be.  Take a look at this.

Posted by Lee on 01/25/03 at 02:16 PM in Politics  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

War is “Inevitable”

So says one of Saddam’s advisors.

Saddam Hussein’s top science adviser said today that he feared a United States attack might now be inevitable, regardless of what United Nations inspectors conclude about the last two months of renewed searches for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

“One tends to think it is coming, no matter what we do,” the adviser, Gen. Amir Al Saadi, said in an interview with foreign reporters.

Now, is this guy playing to the western press or what? “No matter what we do,” as if they are doing everything possible to comply with the UNSC resolutions.

Posted by Lee on 01/25/03 at 01:45 PM in War on Terror/Axis of Evil  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

All Hackers Must Die

Some hacker assholes have released a new virus on the internet, and it’s slowing everything down.

Traffic on the many parts of the Internet slowed dramatically for hours early Saturday, the apparent effects of a fast-spreading, virus-like infection that overwhelmed the world’s digital pipelines and interfered with Web browsing and delivery of e-mail.

Sites monitoring the health of the Internet reported significant slowdowns globally. Experts said the electronic attack bore remarkable similarities to the “Code Red” virus during the summer of 2001 which also ground traffic to a halt on much of the Internet.

My traffic is about half of what it normally is for a Saturday, and that’s even with all the new readers that have been logging in since last weekend.

Posted by Lee on 01/25/03 at 12:55 PM in Etcetera  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

We Don’t Take Visa

Back on December 19 I blogged on the INS roundup of Middle Eastern men who had expired visas.  I thought it was a great idea, and I’m glad to see that the INS hasn’t stopped there.

Nearly 70 foreign-born security guards and drivers working at or around the Super Bowl were arrested by immigration agents in a three-month operation designed to ensure the safety of fans, authorities said Friday.

As part of “Operation Game Day,” the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service arrested 45 security guards and 24 cab drivers. Of those, 34 had prior criminal convictions.

The probe targeted workers in industries operating in and around Qualcomm Stadium who have access to restricted areas.

“In the aftermath of 9-11, our priority is to examine areas that pose the highest security threat and take appropriate action,” said Adele J. Fasano, director of the INS’ San Diego district. “We are fully committed to using all of our investigative resources to ensure the safety of our community.”

So, in other words, the INS is actually enforcing US immigration law.  You’d think an immigration lawyer would understand that, right?  Check this out.

Posted by Lee on 01/25/03 at 12:37 AM in War on Terror/Axis of Evil  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Chicks With Guns

I can’t believe I didn’t see this until now.  It seems that a bunch of chicks at Mount Holyoke, a liberal college in Massachusetts, have started a chapter of the Second Amendment Sisters.  Check out some of these quotes.

“The .22 fits so nicely in my hand.” —Christie Caywood

“Women are assaulted and women die every day—and I don’t plan to be one of them, just because society thinks women are not supposed to use guns.”—Erica Stock

“We are fighting to preserve the right to self-defense, and the most effective means of self-defense is a firearm.”—Maria Heil

“"You don’t even have to love me and my guns. Just respect them.”—Sabrina Clark

Now these sound like my type of women.  Intelligent, forward, headstrong… nothing like a hot 21 year-old who knows how to handle a weapon.  I should be so lucky to hook up with a gal like this. :)

(Link via Molly’s Musings.)

Posted by Lee on 01/25/03 at 12:19 AM in 2nd Amendment  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink
Page 3 of 10 pages « First  <  1 2 3 4 5 >  Last »