Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. - Yoda

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Rocks In Their Heads

I’ve blogged a little bit about the repulsive CPSIA—the law that was supposed to ban toxic toys and is mostly forcing small toy makers and thrift shops out of business because of the gigantic compliance costs.  Overlawyered’s coverage is the gold standard and it’s from there that I get this story from, apparently, Bizarro World:

Two recent events shocked me for their implications. First, Michael Warring of American Educational Products reports that a school opted to stop using AmEP’s rocks to teach Earth Science and will instead rely on a POSTER. Not quite the same educational experience . . . . Yes, the school has become convinced that rocks are too dangerous for kids to touch. Before you laugh too hard, just remember it might be your school district that made this choice. In a “fear of everything” world, this kind of ridiculous decision-making will be more and more common. The continued ragging of consumer groups about “toxic toys” sullies the reputation of all good companies and their good products. In this case, rocks take on the “toxic” tag because they contain uncontrollable amounts of base elements found in nature. If only we could create laws to restrain Mother Nature!

Rocks?  Rocks?! Fucking rocks?!  Now this is likely somebody’s over-eager interpretation of the statue.  But given that the Feds themselves have indicated that the statue should do such things as ban used children’s books and outlaw garage sales, it’s not a stretch to think the law applies to this situation.  And while it’s unlikely the Feds will be raiding schools and testing the rocks, it’s always possible that they could.  And that’s enough to create the climate of fear.

Just remember, however.  Any qualms about CPSIA is just astroturfing by the big toy-makers who lobbed for the law in the first place.  If you shake your head at that story, you’re just a tool of business.

This law is rapidly becoming one of the biggest pieces of crap to ever float out of Congress.  And as you can imagine, there’s some pretty stiff competition or that title.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 05/27/09 at 11:06 PM in Decline of Western Civilization  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Speed is of the essence
by

Offer not valid in countries run by responsible adults. Additional restrictions may be passed into law.

I heard about this on the radio before the weekend, and was hoping to see it brought up here. I would have ventured it myself in comments, but my personal life has been a little hectic lately. I’m not sure how becoming a front-page commenter really un-hectics it, but hey, here I am.

Basically, the Democrats on the enviro-warrior committee in Congress decided to drop another phonebook of legislation, clearly counting on its 900+ pages to make it more difficult to actually wade through it. No one’s going to be able to go point-by-point and refute that, so just like the stimulus bill and its massive pork, the aim here seems to have been to push it through with its sheer size to aid it. To literally throw its weight around.

Then word got around to these Democrats that the Republicans were pondering… just pondering, mind you… the idea of holding them up by exercising their prerogative to have any new legislation read into the record. Suddenly the phonebook plan was backfiring on them. Reading the proposal could take days, and theoretically be almost as effective as a filibuster… it could delay the legislation days or even weeks, after all, even if it couldn’t smash it outright.

So the Democrats hired a speedreader.

The reader they hired is purported to be one of the fastest people in the world at reading aloud. I got to hear a snatch of him reading a little of this bill. Ever heard one of those commercials on the radio, or more rarely on television (since they tend to put their small print in, well, print), where the disclaimer at the end is read so fast that it’s almost impossible to actually pick out what they’re saying? Likely deliberately? It sounded exactly like that. Maybe a little less coherent, since it wasn’t practiced.

This wasn’t even a threat to hire a speed reader. They went ahead and hired him. He’s already been paid and gone on his way. And guess who actually paid his fee? That’s right, America, you did!

This is where we’re at right now. Hell, maybe we’ve been here for awhile. But this is what we’ve come to under the administration that promised transparency, to restore honor to government, and promised everything short of literally stating they’d be honest politicians. Attempting to use the length and obfuscating power of phonebook-sized bills to force through legislation, and then spending America’s money to thwart any thought of not allowing them to just breeze through with these tactics.

Aren’t we all glad that the responsible adults are in charge now?

Posted by on 05/26/09 at 02:54 PM in Left Wing Idiocy  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

New writers
by JimK

Please join me in welcoming three new writers to RTFTLC: Rann, Section8 and HeartlessLibertarian. Apparently my supplication was effective. :)

Gentlemen, I thank you. I have a good feeling about this.  Up next: I begin to publicly beg Para to consider making a post a month or so. ;)

Posted by JimK on 05/26/09 at 12:53 PM in Etcetera  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Sheep Burps

You’ve got be kidding me:

GIVE up lamb roasts and save the planet. Government advisers are developing menus to combat climate change by cutting out “high carbon” food such as meat from sheep, whose burping poses a serious threat to the environment.

Out will go kebabs, greenhouse tomatoes and alcohol. Instead, diners will be encouraged to consume more potatoes and seasonal vegetables, as well as pork and chicken, which generate fewer carbon emissions.

Essentially, a bunch of eggheads (and I use that pejorative as one myself) got together to figure out how much carbon is emitted by consuming 2.2 lbs of whatever (memo to the the Paper of the People Who Own The Country—just use fucking kilograms).  They claim that 2.2 lbs of lamb produces 37 lbs of CO2.  2.2 lbs of greenhouse tomatoes produces 20 lbs of CO2.  But 2.2 lbs of potatoes produces only 1 lb of CO2.

Five reasons why this is idiotic:

1) Is this what we’ve come to?  Micromanaging diets?  If you are concerned about CO2 emissions, just put in a carbon tax.  You won’t have to sit around your think tank all day, scratching your nuts and thinking about how much CO2 goes into making a kilo of lamb.  The market will automatically raise the price of lamb for you and people will eat less of it.

2) Do we get a credit if we combine foods?  I think lamb is best with roasted potatoes.  So if I combine a low-carbon food with a high-carbon food, am I OK?

3) As we discovered in the “food miles” debacle, such calculations are extremely fishy.  And there was a specific example relevant here:

Most notably, they found that lamb raised on New Zealand’s clover-choked pastures and shipped 11,000 miles by boat to Britain produced 1,520 pounds of carbon dioxide emissions per ton while British lamb produced 6,280 pounds of carbon dioxide per ton, in part because poorer British pastures force farmers to use feed. In other words, it is four times more energy-efficient for Londoners to buy lamb imported from the other side of the world than to buy it from a producer in their backyard. Similar figures were found for dairy products and fruit.

Converting that to their system, we get 7 lbs of CO2 per kilo of domestic lamb (which is a fifth of what the Brits have just calculated) and 2 lbs of CO2 per kilo of imported lambs.  Fuck potatoes.  Just import your lamb.  Hell, import everything.  You’ll make people rich and save the planet.

Free trade.  Is there anything it can’t do?

4) I suspect a lot of what’s driving this is a push toward vegetarianism.  Veggies are generally less land- and energy-intensive than meat, which provides a perfect raison d’être for the meat-haters.  Was this study funded by PETA, by any chance?

5) I just broke out my grill this past weekend and this story provide a good excuse for making lamb kabobs this coming weekend.  Not that I need an excuse.

Honestly, enviros.  You embarrass us all with this.  If you invested the same effort into technological innovation as you did into policing people’s personal habits, we’d be halfway to a solution

Posted by Hal_10000 on 05/26/09 at 08:58 AM in Left Wing Idiocy  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

The Nominee

It’s, as expected, Sotomayor.  Unless it turns out that she’s been killing small animals in her spare time, I expect her to fly through the nearly filibuster-proof Senate, especially if the Republicans stick to the Gang of 14 Deal.

Toobin thinks she’ll be a moderate (which means very liberal); Pilon thinks she’ll be a radical.  I think, no matter what anyone says, we won’t know until a few years from now.  Judges change once they can no longer be removed from office.  I’m not familiar enough with the court to know if anyone moves right.  In my short life, I’ve only seen judges like Stevens, Sutter and O’Connor move left.  My expectation would be, knowing Obama, that he’s chosen her to move the court in a very specific direction.  That direction is unlikely to be a libertarian one.

Should the GOP fight this?  Unless something really radical comes up, I would save my ammunition.  I don’t see the point in making a big stink over someone who is going to get confirmed anyway—especially as the Dems will inevitably make it a race/gender issue.  I’ve always taken some pride in the Republicans being far more gracious and dignified in confirmation hearing than Democrats.  I also hold, on general principle. that elections have consequences and that Obama should have some leeway in whom he appoints to SCOTUS.  Your mileage may vary.

We’ll see what comes up in the hearings.

Update: While it’s kind of fun to watch the emerging War of the Memes, I refuse to consider either the White House’s press release about how conservative she really is or National Review’s wild claims that she’s some kind of monster.  You can not judge a judge based on a carefully-selected subset of cases or facts.  You have to look at the entire record and remember that they will move differently once they’re no longer accountable.  I’ve learned to trust a few sources to be objective.  The Volokh Conspiracy has some great commentary already with Kerr and Somin weighing in.  Glenn Greenwald, who gave Sotomayor the nod weeks ago, is ecstatic, which is disconcerting.  But he does demolish some early talking points.  I’m hoping Cato’s Robert Levy will weigh in at some point.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 05/26/09 at 07:09 AM in Politics  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Monday, May 25, 2009

The Silent Shield

image

Like most members of my generation, I have never known true evil.  I have gotten glimpses of it in moments such as 9/11.  But I have never heard the thunderous hooves of the Four Horseman that have stalked humanity for most of its existence.  For me, a bad day is when my car won’t start.  I have never known pogroms or genocide.  I have never seen people gunned down in the street.  I have never had the police roust me out at midnight because of something I wrote or said.  I have never even known poverty—real poverty—the bug-eyed emaciated poverty that has been the lot of billions.

For anyone—especially a Jewish anyone—that is a stark change from history—a change made possible because of the silent shield of millions of men and women, past and present, living and dead, who have stood and stand now between us and the darkness.  Because of them, I will never have my head cut off for mocking Queen Elizabeth.  Because of them, I won’t be gassed for my faith.  Because of them, I will never be hauled off to Siberia because my neighbor cracked under torture.  We go through our days, for the most part, blithely unaware of their towering sheltering presence.

But every now and then, we remember those who have fallen so that we would live.  Most of them had no pretension of honor or glory.  They went because they were young and foolish; they went because they were scared not to; they went because it was expected of them.  But for whatever reason, they went—and did not come back.  The fields of Arlington and Normandy, Gettysburg and Lorraine are filled not with bodies but with lives unlived, children unborn, stories untold, dreams unfulfilled—a carnage of human possibility.  But their sacrifice made possible the lives, the children, the stories and the dreams that three hundred million Americans and billions around the globe enjoy.

Have a good memorial day.  And remember what it’s really for.

(The photo is of Elsheba Khan at the grave of her son, Specialist Kareem Rashad Sultan Khan, who was killed in Iraq.  This was the photo that Colin Powell referenced in defending the patriotism of American muslims.)

Posted by Hal_10000 on 05/25/09 at 09:50 AM in Deep Thoughts  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Opps, i did it again
by HARLEY

The reclusive nation of North Korea has announced that is has detonated a nuclear weapon and the seismic results are consistent with a 10 to 20 Kiloton underground detonation.

From the Guardian

North Korea today risked further international isolation after it claimed to have successfully tested a nuclear weapon as powerful as the atomic bomb that destroyed Hiroshima.

The test comes less than two months after the North enraged the US and its allies by test firing a long-range ballistic missile.

The KNCA news agency, the regime’s official mouthpiece, said: “We have successfully conducted another nuclear test on 25 May as part of the republic’s measures to strengthen its nuclear deterrent.”

Officials in South Korea said they had detected a tremor consistent with those caused by an underground nuclear explosion. The country’s Yonhap news agency reported that the North had test fired three short-range missiles immediately after the nuclear test from a base on the east coast.

The underground atomic explosion, at 9.54am local time, created an earthquake measuring magnitude 4.5 in Kilju county in the country’s north-east, reports said.

Oh joy, a successful test. Now one successful test dos not a weapon make, however it shows that they do have the knowhow, material and the will to do make a nuclear device.
The detonation has been roundly criticized by the usual host of nations, all condemning the action. Our own President Obama had this to say.

“North Korea is directly and recklessly challenging the international community. North Korea’s behavior increases tensions and undermines stability in north-east Asia.”

The problem is that the “international community” , has no clue what to do with the norks and even if it did, does not have the will power to follow through.

Now it should be noted that this test was not done on a whim.
It would take months of planning and assembly time to prepare for this test.
It is quite obvious the North Koreans once again lied to everyone and continued its nuclear program under the guise of cooperating with the international community.

Update:
Its official!
The New York Times, calling this “the first direct challenge to his new administration” , President Obama has vowed to take action against North Korea’s violation of international law.
The President has called for talks among the leaders of nations that border North Korea. However, these meetings have been going on for years, and have had only a small effect of the North Korean nations nuclear weapons ambitions. IT seems likely giving the reality of the situation, talking is all that will be accomplished.

Oh By the way, The leadership of Iran is taking notes, and watching VERY carefully.

Posted by HARLEY on 05/25/09 at 06:51 AM in • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Madam Speaker Could Not Be Reached For Comment

If you need Nancy Pelosi for anything, such as any questions about anything that may or may not have been said during any theoretical meetings with representatives of the Central Intelligence Agency, good luck: she’ll be working from the other side of the entire damn planet for the rest of the month.

US House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a longtime critic of China’s rule over Tibet and its rights record, was to arrive in Shanghai Sunday for a trip focused on energy and climate change. Pelosi was expected in the Chinese financial hub mid-afternoon, Susan Stevenson, a spokeswoman at the US embassy in Beijing, told AFP, but she was unaware of who the top US official was going to meet.

In fact, nobody seems to know, and according to Politico’s Glenn Thrush, the press was asked to remain silent about the trip. Even if she was here, of course, she’s declared herself done answering questions, but I suppose I can see how she’d think it’s even better if she spends some time in a place where nobody can ask them in the first place.

Posted by Aaron - Free Will on 05/25/09 at 04:08 AM in Left Wing Idiocy  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Sunday, May 24, 2009

So, This Movie Is What Death Tastes Like

I’m truly a lucky man, in that I have a girlfriend who actually insisted on seeing Terminator: Salvation with me. I’m less lucky for having actually seen it, and since this gets a bit spoily, you might want to stop if you don’t want to know anything about what I saw. Suffice it to say, the storytelling was more oppressive than Skynet itself, and Skynet is systematically exterminating everyone on Earth.

Posted by Aaron - Free Will on 05/24/09 at 07:43 PM in Life & Culture  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

The Climate-Industrial Complex

Bjorn Lomborg, my favorite environmentalist, has a you-really-should-read-the-whole thing editorial in the WSJ.  Money quote:

Some business leaders are cozying up with politicians and scientists to demand swift, drastic action on global warming. This is a new twist on a very old practice: companies using public policy to line their own pockets.

The tight relationship between the groups echoes the relationship among weapons makers, researchers and the U.S. military during the Cold War. President Dwight Eisenhower famously warned about the might of the “military-industrial complex,” cautioning that “the potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist.” He worried that “there is a recurring temptation to feel that some spectacular and costly action could become the miraculous solution to all current difficulties.”

This is certainly true of climate change. We are told that very expensive carbon regulations are the only way to respond to global warming, despite ample evidence that this approach does not pass a basic cost-benefit test. We must ask whether a “climate-industrial complex” is emerging, pressing taxpayers to fork over money to please those who stand to gain.

For the record, Lomborg accepts global warming. He just has very solid arguments that there are more pressing problems to address and that global warming is best solved through technological innovation, not carbon caps.  I agree.  Which you rather do?  Sacrifice 5% of our economy—a 5% that will fall hardest on blue-collar workers and create massive unemployment—to reduce our carbon footprint by a tiny amount?  Or would you rather sacrifice 1% of our economy into R&D and completely solve the energy problem?  I thought so.

Anyway, Lomborg cites several examples of this climate-industrial complex but I would focus on one—Algore.  Algore “offsets” the energy consumed by his power-guzzling mansion by buying carbon credits from his own company.  If you see radical environmentalism as a religion—and I do—this is like the pope ravishing women and then buying plenary indulgences from himself.

I have never subscribed to the liberal worldview that sees government as some sort of benevolent entity where selfless people gather to do what’s best for the rest of us.  I have always seen it as vying greedy interests trying to get undeserved wealth and power.  We have to put up with this in some circumstances - roads need to be built, criminals need to be locked up and countries need to be invaded.  But we are fools when we expect it to intelligently address complex issues like global warming without ending up in a money-grubbing free-for-all.

Example?  The current cap-and-trade bill wending it’s way through Congress.  As Mankiw points out, Obama campaigned on the idea of auctioning carbon permits.  That at least minimized corruption on the permit side.  Instead, we’re getting a complex monstrosity that gives away 85% of the permits to politically powerful industries.

Hey, but at least we’re “doing something”.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 05/24/09 at 02:33 PM in Politics  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

The price
by HARLEY

Memorial Day, Is traditionally celebrated with BBQ’s and family get togethers, food is eaten in massive quantity’s along with beer, and whiskey.
I too am going to my Family BBQ soon, and like many Americans i never served in the armed forces of this great nation. This day is not about us, it is about all those who did serve and in doing died.
they gave their lives, so that we all, could be free to enjoy our lives free from tyranny and oppression, never forget that.
with that, i want to link a very good article on the cost of our enjoyment of our freedoms.

From The Mudville Gazette.

image

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Posted by HARLEY on 05/24/09 at 08:30 AM in • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

A good start

Is it just me, or is the left turning on Obama faster than the right turned on Bush?

The way things are going, a year from now a large chunk of democrats and liberals are going to be suffering the same buyer’s remorse as conservatives. A lot will depend on the healthcare battle and the economy to be sure. All of us cynics knew that once Obama had to stop making promises and start making decisions he would lose most of his sheen.

But what of Maddow’s argument here? Is Obama really dragging us further down into despotism than Bush ever could? Or is it a good thing that his focus is on the rule of law and doing things legally? Clear standards and accountability are precisely what was missing from the Bush administration’s approach to detention, as each court defeat was followed by a new round of rationalizations and fear mongering. Once the glow of 9/11 faded the Bushies had trouble selling the necessity of these policies. Obama is a better salesmen.

I for one am just gonna go ahead and remain pessimistic about this and pretty much everything pertaining to the United States government generally.

Posted by The Contrarian on 05/24/09 at 05:05 AM in • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Changes at Right Thinking
by JimK

I sent out some editorial guidelines early yesterday and was going to post them tomorrow night to let all the readers know what was going on. I never got the chance to let the authors sit with them before making them public...as you can see, WVR flooded the site with his usual barely-written quote-fest posts from the same blogs on the same dead-horse subjects...again. After the first two I emailed him a warning which he promptly ignored. After today’s performance...my patience is simply non-existent. I have heard the cries, and I agree with them, so WVR, I’m sorry but you clearly wanted this to happen for whatever reason. So now it has.

WVR is no longer a contributing author. He is not banned, but he no longer has posting privileges.

I’m looking for two more people to become authors, so if you have suggestions or would like to give it a shot, please let me know. That’s not a response to removing WVR from the front page, BTW...I was looking for two people anyway. See the end of the quoted text below for more detail.

Here’s the text of the email I sent out yesterday…

1. No more quoting the majority of your posts. Long pull quotes are sometimes unavoidable, but it will no longer be tolerated as the primary style of writing. Your original material should at least equal the material you are quoting.

2. No more cutting and pasting from the same three blogs every day. If we want to read every word someone else writes, we can go to their blogs.

3. No more flooding the zone. This has two parts:

A. No more posting three or four posts in a row on the same topic on the same day. If you have more to add on a topic about which you have already posted, update your original post. Unless something truly groundbreaking that could be called NEWS happens, an updated post is all that is required.
B. No more posting multiple posts in a short period of time. I’m not really interested in limiting how many posts per day anyone can make, but I AM tired of seeing good posts pushed far down the page by flooding the zone. A good guideline would be if you’ve made three or four posts already today...maybe you’re done until tomorrow. Remember, you can always schedule posts to go live at later times as well to help space things out and give all voices a chance to be heard.

Pretty simple. It all boils down to the idea RTFTLC should be a place for _some_ original thought in reaction to the news of the day. If you don’t have any original thoughts to add to a story, maybe you should reconsider whether it needs to be posted or not.  The exceptions to all of this, of course, is fun/diversion stuff, like if you find a great viral or something and you just want to post it for fun. That kind of thing is always welcome.

As for enforcement...well that’s basically just my judgment.  I will be watching closely, and if people can’t stick to these basic standards...well then they won’t be posting.

Also, I would love to get one or two more people involved. I’m looking for a Republican...that’s right I said Republican with a capital R. I think it would be interesting to see what happens when yo take a bunch of libertarian-minded people and have them co-authoring with one of the faithful. Also, I’m looking for a conservative (small C, like some of us are small L libertarians). If you have any suggestions of folks who fit the bill and would be willing to do it, please let me know.

Posted by JimK on 05/23/09 at 08:37 PM in Etcetera  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Certificate Of Stupidity

At the risk of sounding like I’m bashing the Republicans once again, allow me to bring you your daily dose of wingnuttery. Over at Balloon Juice, John Cole (boo, hiss, etc) notes that the Birthers are back. As he points out:

Putting aside the idiocy of the movement’s basis, but even their approach is wingnutty. If the idea is to pressure Obama and not give him a moment’s notice, why put up billboards in Des Moines and Seattle, when the man lives in Washington, DC? If you want him to see billboards, that would be the place to put them. Do the citizens of Des Moines have a special in with Obama? They can call him up and pressure him?

I suppose it makes some weird kind of sense since Iowa is an important state in the primaries. But even there, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense unless the would-be Republican nominee wants to throw themselves in with the kooks altogether. On a related post, Tim F. discusses how the fringe became the mainstream in the conservative movement, and how it has played out in conservative circles, especially on the Web:

At least since Palinmania! the same scene replays itself almost every time. For a while the commenters mostly agree that liberals are worse than cancer. Sadly, the happy reverie breaks as soon as some well-meaning board regular gently suggests that lining up behind such obvious idiots may prove less than useful, even taking into account that they piss off liberals. Inevitably commenter X (let’s call him ‘David Frum’) supported Republicans all his life and voted for Bush twice, for all the good that does him. Without fail the thread devolves into a prolonged search for why X can be dismissed.

Almost invariably the true believers bring up a wingnut litimus test that I call The List. D.F. must simultaneously oppose abortion (always), support torture, wiretapping and aggressive war, question evolution and doubt global warming, fear muslims, hate taxes and really hate government healthcare. If D.F. fails a single point on the list then he’s clearly a bogus conservative, anathema and unwelcome to taint the pristine boards with his heterodoxy. The question of the day (e.g., did Sarah Palin harm the ticket) usually makes a guest appearance on The List, conveniently anathematizing anyone who disagrees with the putative topic of the thread.

The List obviously isn’t just an internet phenomenon. Christopher Buckley, Colin Powell and, of course, David Frum faced more or less the same thing IRL. Heterodoxy is schism. That the DFs are perfectly right, and that true believers torment them for trying to save their own party* is what makes it so funny to watch.
....

Lunatics running the asylum has become cliche, but that is exactly what happened here. Republicans made a series of short-term grabs for this constituency or that for the votes to repeal the estate tax, kill Social Security and increase taxes on the poor/middle class, but somehow the chump constituencies got hold of the keys and took over the main office. Now the money class doesn’t trust Republicans and a drooling hodgepodge of xenophobes, nativists, torture fans, religious fanatics, racists and militiamen camped out in the cafeteria kicked Christopher Buckley to the curb.

It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad.

It is exactly this rise of the wingnuts that drove so many from the party, and from a movement that once embraced them. So what is the solution? Certainly, solid, basic conservatism itself needs no reforming-the message of limited government, personal freedom, and lower taxes still resonates with many. But right now the kooks are driving this train. As a result, those who could bring it back to sanity-like Jon Huntsman, for example-are now either overseas where they don’t have to deal with this BS or otherwise laying low. Or they have become independents. It’s a long, hard, road back to respectability from here on. Please, for the sake of all conservatives who would like to be Republicans again someday, can we find somebody besides the kind of people who are having orgasms over Dick Cheney to lead the movement-and the Party that once inspired us-back from the abyss?

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 05/23/09 at 05:19 PM in Right Wing Assholes  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink

Seven Deadly Reforms

Over at Cato.org, Michael D. Tanner has a comprehensive review of Obama’s health care plans. What stands out the most is the impact they could have on the economy, as the Plan would require the following of employers:

...the government would raise the cost of hiring workers by requiring employers to provide health insurance to their workers or pay a fee (tax) to subsidize government coverage.

Every American would be required to buy an insurance policy that meets certain government requirements. Even individuals who are currently insured — and happy with their insurance — will have to switch to insurance that meets the government’s definition of “acceptable insurance.”

This is, I believe, what Romney did in Massachusetts, and, as it turns out, it hasn’t worked out very well. But it all goes back to the key problem of government intervention in health care, of which we already have plenty-the cost of providing “Equal care for all” sooner or later outweighs whatever short-term benefits might have been gained. In a rare stroke of intelligence, some Republicans have offered an alternative that the man who said he would be willing to reach out to the other side would do well to at least take a look at.

Government micromanagement of health care is kind of like putting big-ass rims on a classic car. Just because you can do it, doesn’t mean that you should.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 05/23/09 at 02:36 PM in Health Care  • (0) TrackbacksPermalink
Page 2 of 10 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >  Last »