Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. - Yoda

65 Years Ago

Here’s something I bet you didn’t know.  On March 30, 1942, Speaker of the House Sam Rayburn of Texas visited Adolf Hitler in Germany to try and work out common ground.  Rather than the stick of war Rayburn was interested in the carrot of diplomatic negotiation.  During his European visit he also visited fascist Italy, then addressed the parliament of Great Britain.

Bet you didn’t know this, did you?  That’s because it never happened.

ABC News has learned Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi plans to visit Syria next week to meet with Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad.  The visit will make Pelosi the most senior U.S. official ever to meet with President Assad.

Pelosi will be traveling to Syria has part of Congressional delegation.  On the trip, she also plans to visit several other countries in the region, including Israel, where she will deliver a speech to the Knesset.

Pelosi’s visit to Syria would come as the United States has severed high-level contacts with Assad’s government.

Look, folks, this is really simple.  What bothers me is that Pelosi is legitimizing the Syrian regime by making an official visit.  That’s the job of the State Dept, to officially represent the United States on the world stage.  (Let’s ignore for a moment that our president has been using the Assad regime to torture innocent Canadians.  Oops.)

I mean, agree or disagree with the “carrot versus stick” approach, this is totally inappropriate.  If Pelosi wants to go over and lick Assad’s balls she should wait until the Democrats are in the White House again, then she can do whatever the hell the president authorizes.  Visiting allies is one thing, playing kissy-face with our enemies is another thing entirely.

Posted by Lee on 03/30/07 at 07:59 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 03/30/07 at 09:20 PM from United States

That’s not all Pelosi is up to.

Posted by ? on 03/30/07 at 09:37 PM from United States

It is awful i mean some one from congress should not undermine the prez.  Dems want us to lose and of course no repug would visit Syria.  Ooch.

Republican Reps. Aderholt and Wolf are currently visiting Syria. According to a congressional official on Rep. Robert Aderholt’s (R-AL) staff, Aderholt and Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA) are currently visiting Israel and then off to Syria.  In addition, another Republican congressmanm Rep. Hobson will be accompanying Pelosi on Syria visit.

But sure this is not all Pelosi is up to???

What pisses me off is that Rep. Aderholt’s (R-AL) Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA)are legitimizing the Syrian regime by making an official visit.  That’s the job of the State Dept, to officially represent the United States on the world stage, and not two republican congressman who must hate america.  If Aderholt and Wolf want to go over and lick Assad’s balls then they should wait until the Democrats are in the White House.  Conservatives like this who hate america make me sick.

david

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 01:03 AM from United States

Hummm… is that really true?
Are there other congressmen visiting Syria?
If so, while I think the point of not visiting the enemy is valid, the point that’s Dems capitulating seems a bit… off base.
Why don’t we say that the congress should stay out of it altogether, that they are a collective sack of turds getting in the way of concerted state department and Administration goals.
It does not matter if you like the administration or not.
Mixed messages never work, and we’re fucking up enough already, we don’t need a bunch of congress people to help any.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 01:09 AM from United States

In addition, if it’s really true that these Republican congressmen are there, the hypocrisy of the White House is just absurd.  I mean really… the thing I hate the most from either party is the over the top blaming for things they would do in an instant.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 06:41 AM from United States

typical dipshit liberal....and by that I mean dog.  How about a link to back up your “point”?

Posted by ? on 03/31/07 at 09:28 AM from United States

Typical right wing jerkoff ( and i mean working_man ) who’s every debated invovles my doing his work for him.  Dude i hear that reality has a liberal slant.  Why dont you do your homework before questioning me.  Or you could build another auguemnt out of straw.  Or as they say strawman augument.

But OK here is a link.

But But Bloombery news has a well know liberal slant.  Dude have you ever heard of a search engine????  Still waiting for more nonsense like well i just dont beleive this.  Same old thing.  The earth is flat and unless you have been in to space you cant prove it???  The earth is 10000 years old and unless i am 10000 year old how could i know that.

Well one thing is for sure these are two republican dirty fing hippie anti-american scumbacgs who are endangering our troops and help islamo whatevers take over the world.

david

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 07:58 PM from United States

Maybe we’ll get lucky and they’ll car bomb her ass over there…

Posted by ? on 04/01/07 at 01:37 PM from United States

Working_man,

I am still waiting for your response and the silence is deafening.  But in the mean time her is a link from that well know american hating left wing news group (AP).  I will await you response?????

david

Posted by on 04/01/07 at 04:57 PM from United States

Hey moron,

Be a good doggie and read the fucking directions shitstain:

Do not paste URLs directly into your comments. If you have a URL longer than 50 characters, shorten it beforehand by visiting TinyURL.com. If you try to link to a long URL the filename will get truncated and everything will totally go to shit really quickly. Do not type your comment in a word processor and then paste it in the comment box, since this can also hose the page.

BTW, genius, I asked you to back up your statement - the onus is on you when you come in with some pearl of wisdom like that to back it up - not me.  Why would I waste a nanosecond factchecking your idiot rambling?  I never questioned the accuracy of your statement - I just asked that you provide some basis for your blathering.  Why the fuck is it so hard for you dipshit liberal nitwits to understand things like integrity and the basic premise of debate?

Posted by on 04/01/07 at 05:12 PM from United States

david, you’ve been around here long enough to know that when someone makes a statement, it is up to them to provide the link/facts to back up that statement.

That’s getting really old.  Surely someone with your accomplishments can come up with something better....

Posted by dakrat on 04/01/07 at 07:38 PM from United States

Dude i hear that reality has a liberal slant.

It’s too bad grammar doesn’t.

Seriously, you guys keep repeating that phrase as though rote recitation will make it come true.

Reasoning with a liberal is rather like trying to get toothpaste back in the tube.*

*Shamelessly stolen from AbFab.

Posted by on 04/01/07 at 07:50 PM from United States

I like Reagan’s take:
“it’s not that liberals are ignorant; it’s just that they know so much that isn’t so.”

Posted by ? on 04/01/07 at 08:57 PM from United States

`"Why would I waste a nanosecond factchecking your idiot rambling?  I never questioned the accuracy of your statement - I just asked that you provide some basis for your blathering.  Why the fuck is it so hard for you dipshit liberal nitwits to understand things like integrity and the basic premise of debate?”

this is something i must agree with.  It would be a real change for you to check something or back up something you say.  As for the rules since i am a big time libatarian i really not into the rule that much but MAYBE you could help me follow the rulse since you seem to think they are so critical.  Maybe you were one of those kids in clase that keep notes on everyone else.

And yo Repmon i only take criticism from peers but thanks anyway.  And in my experience posters like you just make shilt up and when shown to be wrong just put your head int he ground.

But i will try to find time seeing my cancer pts in the morning to fit in a better reponse to your nonsense.

And working_man how should i take criticism from you since you started this all be calling me a dipshit.  But i tell you want.  As i leave my million dollar house in the morning to my way to, lets just say somewhat more significant job than you do, in my BMW and kiss my wife good by as she leaves for her postion as a peds ICU doc at hopkins in the SL500 i got her for her birthday I will no doubt give your comments the time they = need.  And i am looking foward to some more colorerful print since that seems to be what you are best at.  Come on give me your best shot as you sit in your mom’s basement on that five year old computer.  Still have dailup?

david

Posted by on 04/01/07 at 09:16 PM from United States

“make shilt up”?  Sorry, I have no idea how to do that.

You’re a riot, david.

Still trying to prove that big dick, I see.  Oh, I am impressed.  Really I am.  Your wife’s Mercedes is more expensive then my SLK.  Good on ya, dude....keep up the good work…

too funny....

Posted by dakrat on 04/01/07 at 10:06 PM from United States

And yo Repmon i only take criticism from peers but thanks anyway.

Naturally, of course wealthy liberals have no peers on this planet.  Except for maybe Al Gore.

Off with superfly, sniffing a Sharpie pen…

Posted by syddelish on 04/02/07 at 01:07 AM from United States

sniffing a Sharpie pen

sharpies won’t get you high. they just smell bad.

really, really, really bad.

to get high, you need a really big-ass ‘marks-a-lot’.

how do i know this? what else can i say? i misspent a lot of my youth and had a lot of boring days at work.

Posted by on 04/02/07 at 04:41 AM from United States

So very impressive, doggie.  Apparently, little things like grammer, sentence structure, coherency and logic are no longer required for med school.

For the record, I don’t know why you harbor the illusion that you and I have debated anything before.  Your posts tend to illict no more than a short laugh from me typically. You are a dipshit when you walk into a online discussion launch an argument and do not provide links (which by the way “doctor”, the URL instructions are quite clear) to back up your position.

I can believe that you work at Hopkins, but I am quite sure that the adults who work there don’t let you handle anything more taxing then bedpan duty.

Turd Doctor!

Posted by on 04/02/07 at 04:44 AM from United Kingdom

No mention of the hypocrisy dog illustrated?

Posted by on 04/02/07 at 10:48 AM from United States

In the 80s, Comrade Ted had several meetings with the Soviets during which he offered advice on how to counter Reagan’s strategies.

Posted by on 04/02/07 at 11:53 AM from United States

And working_man how should i take criticism from you since you started this all be calling me a dipshit.  But i tell you want.  As i leave my million dollar house in the morning to my way to, lets just say somewhat more significant job than you do, in my BMW...(blahblah blahblah blahblah)

Are you vying to be Bob Munck’s replacement?

Posted by on 04/02/07 at 01:17 PM from United States

No mention of the hypocrisy dog illustrated?

Yeah - sure seems like a double standard to me too.  Bad White House!

Ultimately, I just wanted so see the information that backed up the observation.

Next entry: The Gift of Life