Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window - Steve Wozniak

A History of Violence

Right-Thinking’s loyal and dedicated webmeister JimK emailed Comedy Central to tell them what a bunch of pussies they were for not showing Muhammad.  They responded with a form letter.

Gutless bastards.  Note to terrorists:  violence works.  Anyone in the west can be cowed into submission by burning a few cars.

Posted by Lee on 04/15/06 at 02:28 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 04/15/06 at 03:51 PM from United States

I got the same form letter.

I have to say one thing though, this has nothing to do with the First Amendment, as JimK seems to think it does. Comedy Central is a private company, and can choose to not air whatever they want.

The First Amendment just guarantees that we can call them all pussies for .. well… being pussies.

Posted by on 04/15/06 at 05:04 PM from United States

Note to terrorists:  violence works.

Mostly against leftists.

Posted by on 04/15/06 at 05:10 PM from United States

As an avid South Park fan, my initial thoughts on the episode were that the bit with Mohammad was intentionally edited out as a spoof of the entire ridiculous situation we have now.

If you watched the episode, they put up Bush in a fairly favorable right, trying to explain the First Amendment to a bunch of reporters.

“Mr. President, what are you going to do about this… ‘first amendment’ problem?”

However, the more I read, the more I’m beginning to think Comedy Central genuinely yanked the scene, as opposed to it being intentionally deleted by Trey and Matt as a very effective satire of the whole debacle.

Assuming Comedy Central actually pulled it, this is highly depressing. South Park has very, very rarely been intimidated by anyone, and if the ragheads have won the distinction of being the first group that scared South Park into shutting up, I’ll be depressed. A sign of the times, truly.

Posted by on 04/15/06 at 05:49 PM from United Kingdom

I don’t think Jim is saying it did. Comedy central brought up the 1st Amendment, Jim is just saying he seriously doubts Comedy Central even have a clue what it means.

Posted by JimK on 04/15/06 at 06:11 PM from United States

“I have to say one thing though, this has nothing to do with the First Amendment, as JimK seems to think it does.”

Apparently you didn’t bother to read the letter Comedy Central sent.  THEY keep bringing up the First Amendment.  Not me.  They positioned themselves as some kind of First Amendment protectors when that is about as far from the truth as can be.

Posted by JimK on 04/15/06 at 06:12 PM from United States

Holy crap I just realized padders and I said the same thing.  I have to wash my brain out with soap now.  :)

Posted by on 04/15/06 at 08:07 PM from United States

Lee, I guess this means you can disregard the email I sent you about this, as it was too late.

I shall never again underestimate your ability to stay on top of things. It goes to show why you are Der Blogleader, and I am just a pup with a nerd-box.

I agree with everyone else. Comedy Central would have really dropped the ball here if they had any balls to drop.

Posted by on 04/15/06 at 08:50 PM from United States

The thing that makes you sick is they keep patting themselves on the back for being so tolerant and rightous..Jon Stewart will be saying how great Comedy Central is within the month..

Posted by Nethicus on 04/15/06 at 09:32 PM from United States

Over at the PuffingTonsHost, this would-be liberal messiah by the name of Davis Sweet brought up Michelle Malkin (just to make veiled racist remarks, it seems, which are OK, so long as you make it clear the person you’re slurring is a racist, too) in the context of South Park.

Later in the post, he delivers this gem:

On the (not entirely academic) other hand, would I censor their cartoon? Yes....Letting a Mohammed cartoon run today would almost certainly lead to more dead people, which seems like the only legitimate reason to limit free speech.

Well, if you look at the link and know anything about the PuffingTonsHost, you’ll know that all the blogs are open to comments.  So, I pointed out that it wasn’t a direct threat of violence that made him want to censor SP, it was an indirect threat of violence.  If a cartoon has the possibility of having an Imam shit his pants in anger, then it must be pulled.  I then explained that this was the entire point of the flippin’ episode.

So, 2 hours in Davis pulls his entry, and deletes all comments, also closing all comments to his post, then gives a bullshit little “post-sweet” explaining why he’s so willing to sacrifice personal liberty.  (If you are interested, it was my comment that he was responding to, although he was kind enough to delete and paraphrase my comment as to make himself look better.  Damn, I wish I had cached that post.)

Now, not to just toot my own horn, 8 of the 9 other comments also pointed out to Sweet that he was in favor of tossing the Bill of Rights so as not to inflame third-world troglodytes.  Unfortunately for us, Sweet’s ideas represent a growing, and probable majority of party-line Democrats.

And for that reason alone, I’ll vote for Bush 10000 times over any Democrat.

Posted by Brian at Tomfoolery on 04/15/06 at 11:53 PM from United States

I thought it was a brilliant episode, no matter who decided to pull it, Stone and Parker or Comedy Central.

The best part was Jesus crapping on Bush mere moments after showing Mohammed.  The point was made, and made brilliantly:  Christians don’t riot when that happens to Jesus, and network TV has no fear of mocking Jesus like that.  The episode was timely and sorely needed.

(Also. as someone said above, they indeed made Bush look good too)

Posted by on 04/16/06 at 12:24 AM from United States

I’ve never really seen South Park much of a hardline critical approach to either Bush or Clinton.  The one episode I remember with Clinton is Cartman’s mom sleeping her way to the top to get post pregnancy abortions legalized.  The other time is in the South Park Movie where Clinton announces the bombing of the Baldwin’s and declaring war on Canada.  They seem to steer clear of the president as much as possible.

Posted by on 04/16/06 at 05:47 AM from United Kingdom

Haha ;)

Posted by InsipiD on 04/16/06 at 06:23 PM from United States

This is the sort of thing those libs believe...note the source is MTV2.  Dumb.

Posted by on 04/16/06 at 10:55 PM from United States

I have to say, I think this is exactly the point Matt and Trey wanted to get across.
I did hear on the radio that some Christians were offended by it. I don’t think their intent was to insult Christianity in this sense except to say that you can insult Christianity without it being an incident that brings out rioting.
Granted, you have to insult Christianity to make that point, but that wasn’t their primary intent.

Posted by on 04/17/06 at 10:24 AM from United States

Not anyone in the West can be cowed by Muslim violence, Lee.  There are plenty of us waiting, cleaning our firepower, watching and planning.

Next entry: Permanent Vacation