Chance favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

Allah’s Blow

I’ve written a number of posts regarding the use of the PATRIOT Act to prosecute other kinds of crimes.  While I’m of the opinion that the act should be used specifically to prosecute terrorism cases, and that “terrorism” should be as tightly defined as possible, there are definitely other avenues where it is appropriate.  In this post about gang prosecutions under the PATRIOT rubric I wrote:

I remember a few years back there was a prosecution of an interstate cigarette smuggling operation which was funneling money to Hamas.  And think of the DC Sniper case.  That was definitely a form of terrorism, yet it doesn’t fit a traditional terrorist-style operation. So I don’t think that prosecutors should be limited in how they apply these laws, provided they don’t overstep the laws’s boundaries.  If lawmakers want to revise the laws to limit how prosecutors may use them then that’s the appropriate process.

I think my views on this subject ha thus been vindicated by this report.

OSAMA bin Laden tried to buy a massive amount of cocaine, spike it with poison and sell it in the US, hoping to kill thousands of Americans one year after the September 11 attacks.

The evil plot failed when the Colombian drug lords bin Laden approached decided it would be bad for their business - and, possibly, their own health - US law enforcement sources familiar with the Drug Enforcement Administration’s inquiry into the aborted transaction said.
US authorities were told of the plan this year, but its existence had never been made public.

The New York Post has reviewed a document detailing the DEA’s findings in the matter, in addition to interviewing sources familiar with the case.

Sources said US officials were told that bin Laden personally met leaders of a Colombian drug cartel in 2002.

This was to negotiate the purchase of tonnes of cocaine, saying that he was willing to spend tens of millions of dollars to finance the deal.

So there you have it.  Another example of how something as general as drug smuggling can be totally intertwined with a major terrorist attack.  I stand by what I wrote earlier, we should more clearly define the scope of the PATRIOT Act, but its use in investigations that might not initially appear to be terrorist investigations seems, to me, to be completely reasonable.

Posted by Lee on 07/28/05 at 02:12 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Loud on 07/28/05 at 02:31 AM from United States

Actually… to be honest, I’d have liked to have seen this type of attack be carried out successfully.  Do we really need millions of coke-heads around?  OBL would have been doing us a favor.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 02:45 AM from United Kingdom

Be careful what you wish for, you might loose out on your next Republican President.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 03:15 AM from United States

So they were hoping to wipe out hollywood huh?

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 04:24 AM from United States

Check it out, Schumer admits to not understanding the Constitution.

Check this out too, the White House has dropped the “War on Terror” slogan.

Posted by The Fly on 07/28/05 at 09:42 AM from United States

Padders: And you think Bill Clinton “didn’t inhale”?  Give me a friggin’ break.  Nobody’s presented any tangible (read: real) evidence that President Bush did cocaine.  Translation into überleftie Britspeak: sod off, wanker.

And Lee, sorry to be nitpicky, but…

I’d say the DC Sniper case was definitely not a form of terrorism.  A big part of the definition of terrorism is that the terrorist must be seeking some sort of change in policy, either from the government or from the populace.  The Beltway shooters, unless I missed something, never issued any demands or statements calling for changes in policy, and didn’t seek to change the way anyone was living; they just did it for the sake of killing infidels.

(Otherwise, I think I essentially agree with the point you’re maing in this post.)

Posted by HARLEY on 07/28/05 at 10:00 AM from United States

you know i might sound like a soulless ass saying this, but so what ?! if 10,000 dope-heads die snorting and shooting that crap...........taht 10,000 less assholes in this nation fucking it up.......
but then again they are our assholes and it is our duty to protect them too.....
this also gives us a peak into Bin Ladins mind a bit. How hew views the US and its “problems” obliviously he expected that this would be a major attack that would disrupt our socity....
Guess he things we all are druggies, but given Hollywood’s portrayal of the US.......

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 10:24 AM from United States

Guess he things we all are druggies

We ARE all druggies. Next, he’s spiking your Budwiser and Tylenol.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 10:35 AM from United States

bin Laden personally met leaders of a Colombian drug cartel in 2002

Peter Griffin has to stop having those pool parties . . .

Posted by Drumwaster on 07/28/05 at 10:35 AM from United States

Next, he’s spiking your Budwiser and Tylenol.

Okay, so that apparently leaves ME. I guess I really HAD better start stocking ammunition, if only to defend myself against all those Islamofascists and Mormons…

Posted by HARLEY on 07/28/05 at 10:42 AM from United States

Next, he’s spiking your Budwiser and Tylenol.

Hmm ill have to start making home Brew.
tylonol.....never use it....

you do got a point gripeboy.....

Posted by HARLEY on 07/28/05 at 10:43 AM from United States

EVERY nerds fanatsy has come true!  ROBO SEX!?

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 11:09 AM from United States

Oddly enough, back in the big anthrax scare I told several people that if I was terrorist I would intercept a few shipments of nose candy and cut it 50% with anthrax.

One guy turned white as a sheet as he listened to my idea.......

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 11:41 AM from United States

How do roving wiretaps and sneak-and-peaks on US citizens help in this case? Seems like its totally unrelated to the topic at hand.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 11:52 AM from United States

Roving wire taps & sneak-and-peaks in the US vs. closed circuit cameras on every corner in the UK...shut the fuck up.

So tell me, did the “invasion of privacy” cameras help find the terrorist assholes?

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 01:57 PM from United States

Thin out the heard where it needs it most! Give him some crack and Meth too!

We ARE all druggies. Next, he’s spiking your Budwiser and Tylenol.

True to a point. What is easier to get access too, a bunch of coke you just bought from a cartel or a major manufacturing plant in the US who has already had real and bogus shit like this happen and should be aware of it happening again therefore protecting itself?

Posted by sneaky_pete on 07/28/05 at 01:59 PM from United States

OT

Woman has gay license plate.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 02:12 PM from United States

I have to admit I have thought about this approach as a true war on drugs solution. You trust the dealler, seller, dsitributor etc… you are getting this shit from with your life? Knock yourself out.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 02:29 PM from United States

Seattle, a guy at work told me exactly how to make weapons-grade anthrax from readily available sources.  Start with a cow pattie and optometry equipment.

Really, all this War on Terror stuff does is make terrorists more creative.  I don’t feel any safer busting potheads at the subway and walking through a security checkpoint like I’m checking into Auchwitz.  Don’t walk through your fertilized lawn before going to the airport or you will be told you have “bomb residue” on your shoes.  This is because of that asshole trying to light his shoe in an airplane.  Next, some idjit will hide something in his teeth and we’ll all have our fillings extracted before we can board.  Or we’ll have to take an enema because someone stuck plasic explosive in their crack.

Delta is about bankrupt because no one wants to fly unless they have to.  It is a huge pain in the ass to fly and it takes longer for short hops out of ATL because our airport is the size of a small city.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 09:50 PM from United States

I’d have been onboard with this one....

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 10:19 PM from United Kingdom

Haha, of course Clinton inhaled, of course he had extra-mareterial sex, and of course Bush took cocaine when we was much younger. His health obsession seems to be a rather clear response to those days. Does it matter? Not one bit in my opinion.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 10:22 PM from United Kingdom

Would work with the war on guns as well, we could make them all self explode when fired. Perfect! End of gun crime!

Posted by Drumwaster on 07/28/05 at 10:39 PM from United States

Point:

Posted by Shipman on 07/28 at 07:42 AM

Counterpoint:

Posted by padders on 07/28 at 08:19 PM

... and of course Bush took cocaine when we was much younger.

Well, shit, puddles, ya got ME convinced!!

Moron.

No, correct that.

FUCKING moron…

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 11:15 PM from United States

Do I think Bush did coke? Probably. Can I prove it? No. Do I care if he did. Fuck no. It was the 70’s for cryin’ out loud! Did Clinton inhale? If he was smart, he did.

JHFCOAGDFS! What is with this obsession with drugs? For fucks sake! Clinton and Bush were controlled enough and smart enough to a) graduate from Ive League universities, b) be elected governor of their respective states and c) be elected president. They most likely aren’t on illicit drugs now. Fuckin’ A. This sniping is so goddamned transparent. It makes me want to kick a puppy.

At least Bush isn’t getting hummers from fat whores in the Oval Office. Not that I would really care about that either as long as we weren’t, I don’t know, IGNORING TERRORIST THREATS!!!

Fuck!

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 11:21 PM from United States

Ok, shitty spelling. The weekend is starting early. My wife is tripping about terrorists with nukes slipping into the US. I’m about ready to blow a fucking gasket.

breathing deep

Posted by on 07/29/05 at 12:57 PM from United Kingdom

Well, shit, puddles, ya got ME convinced!!

Well shit, drumfuck I never tried to convince you. Where did I say I had hard evidence to support it? I didn’t. Do you have hard evidence that I have eaten any food this week? What would your guess be?

We do now always have concrete evidence for everything. Man, go read some Descartes and get back to me when realise how difficult it is actually to have concrete evidence for anything.

Exactly. If you axed everyone in the city who has done coke once, there wouldn’t be much of an economy left it would seem. Bush’s incompetence has nothing to do with him taking coke, I really don’t feel the reason to criticise him would be some drug taking 30 odd years ago - he has enough current faults that there is no need.

Posted by on 07/29/05 at 01:10 PM from United States

Funny, my guns have managed not to kill anyone. SO buy your drug logic it’s ok to kill sombody wtih my gun, once, and still have a happy life ever after with no repercussions or consequences, as long as I’m not doing it now?

Let’s look at the crimes committed with guns involving drugs shall we. Get rid of the drugs and see what happens to the gun related crime rate.

Next entry: One Down, One To Go