The Government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. - Mark Twain

Banging Away

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you simply can’t make this shit up sometimes.

Liberal activists—among them graying leftovers from the Vietnam-era antiwar movement—plan to gather near the Capitol tonight, banging pots and pans to drown out President Bush’s State of the Union address.

Yesterday, opponents of the Iraq war kicked off their latest round of demonstrations with an “Impeachment Forum” held downtown in a private dining room at Busboys and Poets.

Featured speakers were 78-year-old former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark; longtime war protester Marcus Raskin, 71, who is head of the Institute for Policy Studies; and Cindy Sheehan, mother of an American soldier killed in Iraq.

Mrs. Sheehan—who became famous last year for staking out the president’s ranch in Crawford, Texas, and just returned from a visit with Venezuelan anti-American President Hugo Chavez—plans to speak tonight to protesters at the Capitol Reflecting Pool.

Last week, the group “World Can’t Wait—Drive Out the Bush Regime” was denied a permit to gather on the Mall for security reasons. The group won a federal lawsuit and has been given permission to bang away while Mr. Bush speaks to a joint session of Congress at 9 p.m.

The group’s Web site has gathered endorsements from left-leaning celebrities such as Susan Sarandon, Jane Fonda, Harry Belafonte and Sean Penn, but it’s unlikely that any stars will show up for tonight’s protest.

I mean, seriously, does this even need any further comment?  If you’ve ever wanted to see the true face of the American Left, ladies and gentlemen, here you go.  This is what the party of Truman and Kennedy has been reduced to.  Absolutely pathetic.

Posted by Lee on 01/31/06 at 10:54 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Nethicus on 01/31/06 at 12:04 PM from United States

I am mystified that the Leftist Loonies will protest anything and everything a Republican will do.  And Republicans never protest, unless it’s to protest protestors.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 12:11 PM from United States

I can’t believe I used to be a democrat.  What a sad pitiful thing they have become.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 12:18 PM from United States

I’d cry if I gave two shits about them.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 12:25 PM from United Kingdom

I wish US politics hadn’t corrupted the meaning of liberal. To drown someone speaking with noise is the antipithy of liberalism. Can we not just call them moon-bats and try to avoid destroying any vestage of meaning left in that word.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 12:33 PM from United States

Republicans never protest, unless it’s to protest protestors

Generally, that’s because Republicans don’t have time, what with all the actual working they are doing.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 12:36 PM from United States

It’s just so pathetic that the only ones who are protesting are a bunch of old wrinkled up lefties who never got over the sixties. And, all they can do is bang pots and pans. They get old and it becomes clear just how bitter they are. Look at Day-o’s comments. I mean, he’s just an old crank now.

Posted by mikeguas on 01/31/06 at 12:41 PM from United States

Pots and pans belong back in the kitchen, along with the women who are banging them together.

I kid.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 01:13 PM from United States

And if that doesn’t work they will hold their breath, then smear their feces on the walls then lie down and whine.
Wait,they do that already.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 01:13 PM from United States

As long as they aren’t banging each other in that special way.  Now if they just beat each otehr senseless, that’s ok by me.

Posted by quicksilver on 01/31/06 at 01:26 PM from United States

How funny would it be if they all made themselves deaf and lost the ability to communicate their idiotic ideologies to others vocally?

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 01:31 PM from United States

You talk as if the Left listens to anyone else NOW, let alone in the future.  Democrats have been deaf for 50 years.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 02:02 PM from United States

hold their breath, then smear their feces on the walls then lie down and whine.

They only do that if they have an NEA grant.

Lee, site is taking a while to load, are you incurring the wrath of Allah yet??

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 02:44 PM from United States

Look at Day-o’s comments. I mean, he’s just an old crank now.

I am of the mind that he truly has a bad case of dementia.  Truly.  It’s the only explanation.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 02:50 PM from United States

Great White singer will plead guilty to 100 cases of involuntary manslaughter.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 03:04 PM from United States

When is the State of the Union, anyways? I’d love to listen to see if the moonbats were actually audible. If they are, then expect for them to get they’re asses hauled in. Free speech stops when it gets in the way of another’s free speech.

Posted by mikeguas on 01/31/06 at 03:20 PM from United States

Since the speech will be inside, I doubt that anyone will hear them. Personally, as stupid as these people act, it is there right, and it actually makes for good comedy.

To sum up Bush though: Stay the course, guest worker, not a word about SS reform, some new thing to appease economic conservatives, which he’ll forget about a few days later. I don’t know about you guys, but I feel like Charlie Brown in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive. You keep hoping this guy will pull all the strings together and bring one home for the team, but it’s mostly just silence, tumble weeds, and crickets.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 03:24 PM from Canada

Tonight. There is far too much marble in the way for the sound of pot banging to penetrate. The wacky leftist moonbats have as much trouble grasping basic laws of sciences as the fundies do.

Posted by Drumwaster on 01/31/06 at 03:30 PM from United States

Proof positive that humans were evolved from apes - and also proof that some of those on the Left still have a bit of evolving left to do…

Posted by Drumwaster on 01/31/06 at 03:32 PM from United States

One other thing - how can they “bang” what they’ll be busily smoking?

{/innocent look}

Posted by Stimulus on 01/31/06 at 03:36 PM from United States

Maybe they’re hoping to bring the capitol down by marching around the White House seven times whilst banging their pots and pans.

Posted by chrisbg99 on 01/31/06 at 03:37 PM from United States

...but I feel like Charlie Brown in the pumpkin patch waiting for the Great Pumpkin to arrive…

Ahem, its Linus, not Charlie Brown.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 03:38 PM from United States

Innocent my ass.

Posted by Miguelito on 01/31/06 at 03:53 PM from United States

So I missed the whole, they were denied a permit then sued and got one… any good details on that?

Was it a valid denial?  Did they just find a sympathetic judge to overturn it?

Posted by mikeguas on 01/31/06 at 04:21 PM from United States

Ahem, its Linus, not Charlie Brown.

Was it? Man, I’m getting old.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 04:31 PM from United States

I really don’t want these people at my back, once Taliban here is large enough numbers.  Can you imagine what these people will do?  Demand negotiations with Taliban because this is what W has forced to happen?

The last time taliban was here in large enough numbers, it only took 19 to take down 4 planes, 3 buildings and kill just under 3,000 people.

And, in SanFranKornHole, tonight, the World Can’t Wait organization will stage a 5 P.M. protest.  Rush hour.  Yeah, THAT’S gonna make ‘em popular, isn’t it?  Oh, so THAT’S why they don’t want guns in SFKH!  Target practice!!!

I hope Taliban lands in SFKH, first, during this next round of takeovers.  It’s time the left learned the cold, hard lesson that the rest of the world has learned, in places like Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Bali, Indonesia, the Philippines . . . and soon . . . South America!

I wonder what BenDover is in Arabic?

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 04:42 PM from United States

Need your experience & opinion: Online political news survey! ($10 reward possible)

Hello!
My name is Daekyung (danny) Kim, a Ph.D. student studying journalism and mass communication in Southern Illinois University at Carbondale. I am emailing to ask you to do me a favor. I am now working on my dissertation whose topic is about online political news and want to gather information about how and why Internet users are using news Web sites for political information based on an online survey.

This online survey will approximately take 15-20 minutes to complete. After collecting the data, I will draw to pick up 50 respondents among those who complete this survey and each will be given $ 10 gift card.

Would you please spend some time to fill out this survey? http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=594061481532
(please click on the address, OR if not working, copy it into the URL address)
Your experience will be very useful in understanding how politically interested online users are using online news and the consequent effect on traditional news media.

You can withdraw the survey at any time you want. All responses will be kept confidential and only be used for academic purposes. This survey has been reviewed and approved by the SIUC Human Subject Committee. So, there are no questions that may identify personal information.

Thank you very much in advance for your cooperation. Please email me back if you have further concerns or questions.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 04:43 PM from United States

I thought we wiped out the Taliban. You mean al-Qaeda?

Posted by mikeguas on 01/31/06 at 07:36 PM from United States

She-Ham got an invite to the speech. I hope she blows a gasket on national TV. Every circus needs a freak.

Posted by Bunkergurl on 01/31/06 at 08:04 PM from United States

Apparently Cindy “It’s All About Me” was arrested at the airport in DC. At least that’s what I heard on Hugh Hewitt’s show about 10 minutes ago.

Yeah, we’re gonna be a loooong ways away from the Capitol, and we’re sure all our karmic energy and banging pots and pans are gonna be heard through all that marble and heavy doors!

Moonbats, every one of them.

Posted by on 01/31/06 at 08:09 PM from United States

I just heard something similar, Bunkergirl - that Sheehan was taken away in handcuffs.  I just pray there was good reason.  Otherwise, the Libs will be screaming....

Actually, they will scream anyway, but.....

Posted by mikeguas on 02/01/06 at 01:10 AM from United States

Sorry man, I’m too busy trying to get my million from that nice Nigerian man who sent me an email a few days ago. Is there anything on the web safe from spam?

Posted by on 02/01/06 at 08:44 AM from United States

Great White singer will plead guilty to 100 cases of involuntary manslaughter.

Actually it was their former tour manager, Dan Biechele.  The band members were not indicted for anything.

Posted by on 02/01/06 at 09:20 AM from United States

al Qaeda.  Taliban.  Islamofascists.  Islamists.  It doesn’t make any difference.  All cut from the same fundamentalist cloth.

Make the distinction for traking purposes, if you will or if you need to.  That’s “historically” accurate and may be necessary to know who is in what gang.  But, it’s like the Bloods and the Crips.  Ultimately, practically, it doesn’t make any difference.  Both will do about the same to you on a dark night in an alley.

It reminds me of that repartee between the old priest and the young priest in The Exorcist.  where, the young priest, with the psychology background, is telling the old priest about the personality manifestations the young girl, Regan (I think that’s the character’s name), is having.  The old priest stops him and tells him there is only one manifestation inside of her.  The Devil.

I’m not going religious on you.  I’m just saying that, when one understands what one is fighting, it doesn’t make any difference what they call their gang.  It’s all about doing the same thing.

So, I call them all Taliban.  Maybe I should make it taliban with a small “t.”

Next entry: Allah-Puncher