No legacy is so rich as honesty - William Shakespeare

Big Fat Wait

Back when I was obese I was once told I couldn’t have an MRI because I was too heavy for the table.  I wasn’t offended, it was the truth, and I sure didn’t go pissing and moaning and demanding an apology like this fat bastard.

A 308-pound British man is demanding an apology from a hospital in Liverpool, England, where he was told he was too fat to have an angiogram.

Alan Nolan, 57, told the Liverpool Echo his doctors knew his size and had promised special equipment would be on hand for his scheduled heart procedure at the Royal Liverpool Hospital.

However, he said, when he arrived for his appointment, he told he was too fat to fit on the operating table and sent home.

Ummm, so fucking what?  What’s the big deal?  So you go home and come back a few days later when they have the equipment on hand.  Oh, wait!  This is the UK!

Nolan said his doctor told him five months ago there was a potential problem with a heart valve and now he has to further wait for a diagnosis.

That’s right, folks.  He was told that he had a problem with a heart valve and FIVE MONTHS LATER he got in for an angiogram.  Presumably he’ll now have to wait another five months for his free health care to provide him with the opportunity of getting another one.

Posted by Lee on 02/28/06 at 02:01 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 02/28/06 at 03:29 PM from United States

Must...refrain...from...Fat Bastard...quotes…

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 03:47 PM from United States

How obese are we talking about?  Seriously, if they are using a table that won’t support well over 300 pounds then there is something wrong with the medical facility.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 03:48 PM from United States

He could go see a vet at the equine medicine center.  They are used to working with large, stupid, animals.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 07:24 PM from United States

They already know he is a horse’s ass.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 10:13 PM from United States

Not really.  The facility I work at only has equipment that can handle up to 250#.  Anything over that and special beds and such are needed.

The biggest set I’ve ever had to order was for a 450# guy.  He showed up in the ER and we had to seat him on a lowered stretcher because there were no chairs big enough for him and no ER beds could support him.  I had to order the Heavy Duty Suite package for the 400+ that includes a special shower seat, a special extrawide double sized wheelchair (as opposed to the normal doublesize wheelchairs) as well as a bed w/ special rotating tray/rails to help roll him in and out.  That kind of package tacks on an extra $1200+ a day (room alone is usally in the $1000 range) and can take up to 24 hours to get to the hospital.

Posted by Lee on 02/28/06 at 10:28 PM from United States

How obese are we talking about?

I was over 400 at the time.

Next entry: Dumbass of the Day