The Government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. - Mark Twain

Brokeback

Man, I don’t know what the hell I did last night, but I must have slept in some really weird position.  The center of my back is killing me, like I slept on a rock or something.

Posted by Lee on 01/30/06 at 09:00 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 10:10 AM from United States

I don’t know what the hell I did last night

Must resist urge to crack jokes…

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 10:21 AM from United States

Must resist urge to crack jokes…

Naw, waaaaaaay too easy.
Posted by Drumwaster on 01/30/06 at 10:39 AM from United States

Probably didn’t do anything weirder than sleeping too comfortably.

Y’see, Timmy, if you sleep on a firm mattress, your body doesn’t actually find that comfortable enough, so you will be moving all through the night - just little shifts, but enough to keep your muscles from stiffening from disuse for extended periods (which is one reason athletes stretch before exercising).

Conversely, too soft a mattress will allow your body to relax into whatever position you find yourself, and will stay in that position for the six to eight hours you will be sleeping. Your muscles will be stiff from disuse, and some of the weaker muscles (like in the lower back and neck) may start to cramp up.

{/not a doctor}

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 10:46 AM from United States

This is my problem. My wife insists on a soft mattress and I’m always finding myself having slept in some contorted position for hours. I’ve had a certain knot in one spot of my back for 4 months. The sucker just will not go away.

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 12:55 PM from United Kingdom

As someone who has suffered with a bad back for 25 years. Which I have put out just picking up a cup of coffee on more than one occaision.

Option 1: 3/4 in ply will solve a soft matress. Just make it big enough to do the part of the bed you normally sleep on and place it under your matress. It’s also cheaper than a new matress initially. If it helps go out and get one of those matresses that are split firm on one half, soft on the other.

and / or

Option 2: Visit an osteopath. Your back problems may not be originating in your back. Without realising it your body compensates for many weaknesses. They will usually show up as back problems.

You will learn to recognise a problem forming and get remedial treatment in one visit if it is persistant like mine. Rather than having to go for two or three visits.

You all have my sympathies.

Next entry: Law & Order: Pet Police

Previous entry: Where Mah Money?