You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life - Albert Camus

Brownie Moment

I’d like to take a moment to coin a new phrase:  Brownie Moment.  A Brownie moment can be defined simply as the moment when a supporter of President Bush is smacked in the head by reality and loses any and all faith in the president from that moment forward.  As you may have surmised the term comes from Bush’s recent comment regarding former FEMA head Michael Brown’s leadership in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job.”

This was my Brownie moment.  I understand that in the world of politics leaders often have to say things they don’t mean, or shake hands with dictators and scumbags, and do a lot of morally repugnant stuff.  But when Bush said that I realized that after surveying the impotent, incompetent response of the federal government he truly, honestly believed that Brownie was doing a heck of a job.  That sealed it for me.  I’d been turning sour on Bush for a while, but I was still generally supportive of him.  When I heard him make that remark, however, that was it.  That was my Brownie moment.

I bring this up in light of the Miers nomination.  There are a whole lot of head-scratching Republicans gazing at each other wondering what the hell just happened.  Could Bush really have nominated this woman to the Supreme Court?  Yes, my friends, he just did.  I imagine there are a whole lot of conservatives out there today who have just had their very own Brownie moment.

This is not to say that having had a Brownie moment the lack of faith in Bush is irreversible.  Far from it.  If Bush were to straighten up, get his act together, and really make an effort at becoming the president he was in the first three years of his first term then I would in all likelihood get firmly behind him again.  But in the wake of the deteriorating situation in Iraq, his political impotence at implementing his agenda, the profligate expansion of government under his watch, and his failure to veto a single bill during five years in office, the Brownie comment was just too much.

That was my Brownie moment.  And there’s a whole country full of gobsmacked Republicans who just had theirs this morning.

Posted by Lee on 10/03/05 at 10:07 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Sean Galbraith on 10/03/05 at 11:51 AM from Canada

Maybe she’s just the easy nominee knowing that the Dems will play hardball with her.. easy to sacrafice with another unannounced candidate waiting in the wings? Let the Dems play hardball with her in the hopes that his real pick would get an easier hearing.

But I’m going with “no, that’s really his pick”.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 01:43 PM from United States

I was watching an episode of Family Guy a couple weeks ago (stick with me...I’m going to tie it in to the topic. :-) ) They turned on the TV, and “Everybody Loves Raymond” was on. The dialog went something like this:

Deborah: “Ray..your mother criticized my lasagna.”

Ray: “You know what? I don’t care. After nine years, I just don’t care anymore. I don’t know...maybe you should stop being such a bitch.”

When I saw that, I thought of Bush. (Told you I’d tie it in.) More and more, I get the impression that he’s just thrown in the towel, and honestly just doesn’t give a shit anymore. It would only reinforce my belief if he picked Miers because Harry Reid likes her, and he thought he could avoid a fight.

I think you’re wrong here, Lee. The profligate expansion of government is his agenda (or at the very least is a byproduct of his agenda), and he’s been one of the best presidents ever at implementing it.

In the meantime...I notice you’ve been linked by Andrew Sullivan..."Brownie moment” might just enter the vernacular! I assume that’s why the site is so f*cking slow. Either that or the Rove political machine is hitting you with a DOS to make sure “Brownie moment” doesn’t get out. :-)

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 02:29 PM from United States

Andrew Sullivan

and [quote"Brownie moment” Too easy.

Naw, according to my VRWC handbook, Lee may be sent on an indoctrination vacation for a while.

Posted by Poosh on 10/03/05 at 02:47 PM from United Kingdom

So basically there’s no one out there fit for government…

Just like in the UK!

Posted by Poosh on 10/03/05 at 02:50 PM from United Kingdom

In fact the rest of the world come to think of it. Did someone poison the right-wing gene pull or something.

Posted by Poosh on 10/03/05 at 02:51 PM from United Kingdom

that should read “right-wing leader gene-pool”

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 02:53 PM from United States

Lee, I’d say you had your brownie moment WAY before Brown.  JMHO.

And are the states rights conservatives here willing to admit now that Bush is NOT beholden to the religious right?  There isn’t ONE religious righter who likes this pick.  They’re going to hate this more than the left hated Robert Bork.

Put it this way - if Bush were interested in shoring up his base, this wasn’t the way to do it.

TV (Harry)

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 02:54 PM from United States

By the way - I think your brownie moment, as it was for all the other secular republicans - was Terri Schiavo.

I know, it’s a dead horse.

TV (Harry)

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 02:54 PM from United States

Not that I doubt you Lee, but is there a way of getting a transcript of Bush’s “heck of a job” quote/speech?  I have a feeling the sound bite sounds stupider when divorced from the text.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 02:58 PM from United States

This, from the New Republic (of all places)

For instance, she apparently submitted the following report to the ABA’s House of Delegates. Here are two of the report’s recommendations:

Supports the enactment of laws and public policy which provide that sexual orientation shall not be a bar to adoption when the adoption is determined to be in the best interest of the child. ...

Recommends the development and establishment of an International Criminal Court.

LINK

Ugh!

TV (Harry)

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 03:13 PM from United States

President Arrives in Alabama, Briefed on Hurricane Katrina

“Again, I want to thank you all for—and, Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job. The FEMA Director is working 24—(applause)—they’re working 24 hours a day.”

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 03:20 PM from United States

What’s that old country song that starts with,

Wasted Days and wasted nights

Or, look at it this way.  Meirs.  SCOTUS nomination. Sentate = lamb + wolves.

Some assembly required.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 03:21 PM from United States

make that “Senate” rather than “Sentate.” Although we could rename it “Sentate.”

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 03:22 PM from United States

This is beginning to shake my confidence in Harvard Business School.

Posted by sneaky_pete on 10/03/05 at 03:38 PM from United States

Harry,

Why don’t the religious leaders like Miers?  Where have you seen evidence of this?  Any inklings?

The only things I know about her are: she’s a woman (to appease the women/minority quotas on the SCOTUS), she was Bush’s personal lawyer, she helped bury his drunk driving arrest from Maine, she’s donated money to democratic presidential candidates in the past, and she’s never been a judge.  EVERYONE is wary of Miers.  I can’t tell who should find her favorable and who should find her threatening.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 03:43 PM from United Kingdom

Poosh, off topic but who you picking for the Conservative leadership? My choice is between Clarke and Cameron, not sure whom though and not sure which would be the best at fighting Brown.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 03:46 PM from United Kingdom

Either that or he knew he couldn’t get away with it, and thought the embarassment of failing was worse than trying to appease the right. I don’t think Bush ever was on the wavelength of the religious right but he certainly was keen on their votes. A balancing act for sure.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 03:47 PM from United States

and she’s never been a judge.

This is the strangest thing about the whole thing for me. At a time where Bush is under fire for the unqualified Michael Brown, and nominated the unqualified Julie Myers to head ICE, he nominates someone who has no experience as a judge at any level, and who’s real qualification seems to be that she’s his buddy?

Posted by Fantt on 10/03/05 at 03:52 PM from United States

Not sure why I’m defending her, but these quotes are from 1990 and she was a democrat up until 1994 from what I heard earlier on the Tony Snow show (for whatever that’s worth).  Plenty of people change their political views over time.

The fact that she’s given $3000 to Democrats is probably overshadowed that since she did that she’s given over $16000 to Republicans.

Posted by Fantt on 10/03/05 at 03:52 PM from United States

and she’s never been a judge.

Isn’t there precedent for nominating a non-judge to the SCOTUS?

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 04:09 PM from United States

I havent had a brownie moment..it’s just faded in. I don’t take part in the constant critisism and mocker made of the president my colleauges do, but I can’t bring myself to believe in the administration’s policy. I like Bush as a person, not as a politician. However, he needs everyone’s support and cooperation in times of duress such as these.

Posted by Fantt on 10/03/05 at 04:21 PM from United States

What does that mean?

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 04:25 PM from United States

Sneakster,

The pro life group that Randall Terry is a part of issued a press release null
I don’t know what in hell I just did there but it’s pro.lifewithchrist.org.
They didn’t mince words.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 04:27 PM from United States

Isn’t there precedent for nominating a non-judge to the SCOTUS?

Hugo Black was a Senator before being seated on the Court, as were Felix Frankfurter, William Taft, and *spit*William O. Douglas*spit*.

Link.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 04:28 PM from United States

Oh wait, I didn’t mean to imply that Taft, Frankfurter and Douglas were all Senators, just that they were all non-judges before their appointments.

Hell, Taft was President before his appointment.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 04:30 PM from United States

Also, Earl Warren was the Governor of California before his appointment, so there is a long history of Justices coming from non-jurist backgrounds.

Posted by sneaky_pete on 10/03/05 at 04:43 PM from United States

beano,

Thanks for the link.  It works just fine.  The “null” happened because you didn’t enter anything into the second box that pops up when you’re doin’ a link.  It’s all good.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 04:44 PM from United States

Rehnquist

Posted by Poosh on 10/03/05 at 04:56 PM from United Kingdom

David Davis.

Posted by Poosh on 10/03/05 at 04:57 PM from United Kingdom

Gordon Brown is f@cking up so much so that even the leftist media can’t avoid reporting on his inability to count. If my figures are right, in 1997 the state stole about 30-something % of your income, today it steals 45%.

And for what?

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/03/05 at 05:36 PM from United States

You know, Bush nominating Miers for the court is the equivalent of if Bill had nominated Hilary.

Unbelievable.  Yet another in a long series of missed opportunities for this administration.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 05:49 PM from United States

After thinking about it all day today, I’ve finally reached the conclusion I’m pissed with all you guys!  Even Michelle Malkin, etc.

What?!!??  Take a good look at Miers.  You don’t recognize an AA/EOE hire when you see one?!!??

Took me all day to figure this out.  I’m pissed at me, too.

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 08:02 PM from United States

Don’t know much about Miers, (didnt know much about Roberts either when I first heard of him), but… other than what is noted in that Memorandum, which doesn’t seem to show anything illustrating that they were her personal opinions (a committee is not made up of one person)… what is the problem with her?

Personally I don’t see anything wrong with the adoption issue, I don’t think sexual orientation should necessarily have anything to do with it. I can see how that stance might irk the religious fundies, but somehow I don’t see Lee really getting pissed if Bush pisses off some religious types, since he tries to make a total fucking mockery of them at every opportunity that he can himself.

Is this the best fodder against this woman?

Posted by on 10/03/05 at 08:03 PM from United States

There are millions of good,true,honest conservatives out there in America. But none of them are in the government or ever will be.  We’ve been scammed by the biggest RINO of all.  Thanks George.  Thanks a pantload.

Posted by on 10/04/05 at 09:41 AM from United States

I think I had my Brownie moment when GWB signed each and every pork barrel spending bill that has crossed his desk. No veto, nothing, yet I’m staying with the Republican Party because I think that the next candidate for President from the GOP will be a fire brand conservative, if not then I’m done.

Next entry: Sullylanche