Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed. - George Burns

Bush’s Speech

I haven’t had a chance to hear or read Bush’s speech yet, been super busy today at work.  I’ll have commentary later on today when I get a moment.

Update: Finally got around to reading it.  Very good, I’m impressed.  I especially like the idea of releasing an unclassified strategy paper on the White House website.  Smart move.  It’s hard for your critics to claim you don’t have a plan when anyone can go on the internet and download the damn thing themselves.

The biggest criticism I’ve had of Bush so far is that he’s really failed to articulate a strategy or plan, nor to explain why victory in Iraq is so critically important.  When Bush was making the case to go to war he outlined about 20 reasons at one time or another, but focused on just two or three, with WMD and getting rid of Saddam being the main selling points.  On this basis the American people supported him overwhelmingly.  Now we find ourselves in a situation where Saddam is gone, and there were no WMD there anyway, which completely blows his entire justification for the war.  Look at it this way: if we had found warehouses full of WMD, Bush would be hailed as the greatest wartime president since FDR, but we didn’t, and he’s paying the political price for it.

So, since the main justifications for the war in Iraq were proved to be false, Bush now needs to show a clear strategy as to why finishing the job is critical.  This speech today is a good sign that, finally, he’s getting it.  I hope he understands that this can’t be a one-time thing, that this message has to be stated over and over and over to get the pint across, especially in the face of a hostile media and a determined opposition.  But the argument is there to be made, he just has to figure out how to do it.

Posted by Lee on 11/30/05 at 12:58 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 02:44 PM from United States

I’ll fill in for you Lee:

[LEE] I read Bush’s speech today and I agree with Sully that Bush is utterly inept at getting his message out. Today was a good first step but unless he keeps repeating this loudly and over and over I agree with Sully that we’re in immediate danger of losing this war because public opinion polls favor an immediate pullout because, as Sully said, Bush can’t get his point across so when we lose it’s his fault.

Anyone who disagrees with me is a sychphantic Bush loving suckass! [/LEE]

(Lee, you know it was all done in the spirit of fun!)

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 02:58 PM from Canada

Rage, you forgot the part where Lee punches baby Jesus.

Posted by Mister Minit on 11/30/05 at 03:14 PM from United Kingdom

I think that the biggest problem George Bush has in getting his opinion accross to the masses is that they all think that he’s a moron.

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 03:15 PM from United States

It was, of course, quickly denounced by Reid, Pelosi etc, etc.  These people are so predictable I want to cry.

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 03:17 PM from United States

Well, we all can’t be Bill Clinton now can we?

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 03:25 PM from United States

Lee-if I screw this up, I apolgize.

The now infamous horse sex case

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 03:56 PM from United States

The Veteran’s day thing was all over the news because it was, well, on Veteran’s day. I didn’t even realize the speech was out yet...more PR problems for Bush

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 04:41 PM from United States

Bush’s clear plan is to leave Iraq as Iraqi troops take over. It is a mistake to dignify the accusations of “lying over WMD” which isn’t even true, and involves events that happened a long time ago. Bush can set the debate by pushing forward into the future and ignoring the past.

Pelosi, Boxer, Durbin, Reid, and Kerry are the most annoying people on Earth.

Posted by Kilroy on 11/30/05 at 05:14 PM from United States

just for fun

and some more.  links people links.

Posted by Kilroy on 11/30/05 at 05:17 PM from United States

<a href="http://www.rathergood.com>try this</a>

Posted by Starving Writer on 11/30/05 at 07:49 PM from United States

Karen, when trying to make an url open in a new window, do this ...

*a href="www.blahblah.com/whatever.html" target="_new"*

You need to set target="_new" as a separate command, not include it with the link.

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 09:27 PM from United States

The CA Supreme court will not block the Tookie barbecue.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 11/30/05 at 10:11 PM from United States

mbruce: Well I guess that means Ahnuld will have to “Agonize” some more.

Posted by on 11/30/05 at 11:18 PM from United States

Regardless of the soundness of the exit strategy, the Democrat talking point is always “the exit strategy sucks”. Regardless how of how successfull the Iraq government is, the Democrats will put people on TV who can fake being outraged. Kerry will always insinuate that everyone should have voted for him instead. This is politics not reason.

Posting the plan on the website does an endrun around the media, and is a good Reagan type move.

Posted by Lee on 11/30/05 at 11:21 PM from United States

Or just use the buttons.  Why type the HTML yourself?  Hell, even I use the buttons.

Posted by Drumwaster on 11/30/05 at 11:32 PM from United States

One of the great dichotomies in the Donk position was pointed out by Jeff Goldstein (at protein wisdom) earlier.

There are problems in Afghanistan, and this is caused by Bush pulling the troops out and sending them all to Iraq. So pulling troops out of a country is A MISTAKE.

There are problems in Iraq and so we must pull out troops out immediately. So pulling troops out of a country is ESSENTIAL.

The only ones who don’t see the problem with this are the same people who think that there were no terrorists in Iraq until we kicked in the door…

Yes, hazey, you fuckstick, I’m looking at YOU.

Posted by HARLEY on 12/01/05 at 04:44 AM from United States

HM i just saw a advert on CMT <that is country Music channel > a new series/show that follows 2 American soldiers in Iraq, slated for Sat. that should be interesting.

It looks like a good speech, but Bush and Co. need to follow up on this.

Posted by on 12/01/05 at 06:40 AM from United States

That’s the problem. The buttons are including target=_new as part of the url. Look at Kilroy’s “just for fun” link. The text of the url looks like this:

Posted by on 12/01/05 at 07:28 AM from United States

Well I appreciate the help guys but none of what you said made any sense to me.  I am a simple girl ya know.  I thought I could just copy and paste the damn thing.

Posted by Poosh on 12/01/05 at 08:55 AM from United Kingdom

Is there a live/audio link anywhere of Bush’s speech? BBC/UK coverage will either be non-existent or designed to make Bush and the war look bad.

Posted by LandoGriffin on 12/01/05 at 11:00 AM from United States

Ha ha! That reminds me of the old Simpsons episode where the Malibu Stacy doll Lisa wanted recited lines like “Don’t ask me, I’m just a girl”

Posted by Putzboy on 12/01/05 at 12:33 PM from United States

Poosh, I found video of it on the Fox News web site. Just do a search for “Bush” if you can’t find it by looking around.

Hope that helps.

Posted by Nethicus on 12/01/05 at 09:34 PM from United States

No WMDs in IRAQ?

This weapons inspector seems to disagree.

Posted by Mister Minit on 12/02/05 at 04:39 AM from Europe

Poosh

Posted by Poosh on 12/03/05 at 12:48 PM from United Kingdom

OMG

Does Bush READ Right-Thinking!!!?