Don't stay in bed, unless you can make money in bed. - George Burns

Calibankruptization

There’s dumb and then there’s California dumb:

A key legislative committee in California revived a bill Thursday to create a government-run health care system in the nation’s most populous state, two days after Massachusetts elected a senator who opposes the president’s national health care plan.

The Senate Appropriations Committee released the bill for a vote by the full Senate next week. The legislation had been held over from last year because of the state’s ongoing budget crisis.

Creating a single-payer system would cost California an estimated $210 billion in its first year. That’s roughly double the size of the total state budget, but about what the state and federal government and residents cumulatively spend now on California health care, said Sen. Mark Leno.

Leno, D-San Francisco, introduced the bill after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger twice vetoed similar legislation. The Republican governor negotiated his own $14.7 billion health care reform bill with Democratic leaders two years ago, only to see the measure fail in a Senate committee amid concerns over paying for the measure.

Leno’s bill would create a commission to decide how to pay for the system, at a cost this year of more than $1 million.

My jaw is on the floor here.  We have a state that has been bankrupted by spending, that has raised taxes to the point of driving their tax base away to more hospital environment, like 6000 feet under the Pacific and that is still $20 billion in deficit.  Now they want to put in place a $210 fucking billion socialized medicine program.  And they don’t know how to pay for it.  They want a commission to figure that out.

California.  You are doomed.  Will the last working person in the State please notify the unemployment office?

Posted by Hal_10000 on 01/22/10 at 07:55 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by InsipiD on 01/22/10 at 10:08 AM from United States

So they vetoed a $15 billion bill over funding but want to put through a $210 billion one?  Only Democrats are that crazy.

Posted by on 01/22/10 at 01:56 PM from United States

If we could wall them off and refuse to take any refugees I’d say go for it.

As the other 49 states are going to ultimately end up bearing the burden of this along with their own debts I’ll have to oppose it.

Posted by Miguelito on 01/22/10 at 02:20 PM from United States

driving their tax base away to more hospital environment

Hah.. a what environment?  Now that’s a very topical typo.

But yeah, we’re going down the tubes fast.  We were already going down, now they’re just lubing the tube up more and applying higher pressure from above to speed up the process.

That so many people in this state keep continually voting these morons back into office still astounds me.

Posted by on 01/22/10 at 05:51 PM from United States

My company keeps transferring positions down to our California facility and they can’t figure out why everybody would rather quit than join them in Orange County.  So far only 2 people have actually said “sure, I’ll move to hell"…

Posted by on 01/22/10 at 09:07 PM from United States

I’m so glad I moved out of there when I did. I’ll tell you what, I have a registered warrant from the state of California right in front of me for my tax return from 2008. I filed my taxes a little late and filed an extension as I knew I was getting money back. Anyhow, filed and then they sent this POS to me in July, with instructions that it could not be cashed until October. Well, I’ve tried taking it to the bank, and they won’t take it. I’m going to try again tomorrow.

Posted by Miguelito on 01/22/10 at 09:19 PM from United States

Section8… interesting.  I know of friends of friends that moved out of CA to AZ a year or so ago and tax problems too.  Though their’s was that the state claimed they owed more money when it wasn’t true.  Of course they had to do all kinds of work to prove it.

I’m torn in that I really hate how the state is being run, but I was born and raised here.  The bulk of my family (all close, some relatives outside next of kin) are here too.

I’m also in San Diego, which is slightly less liberal then most of the state.  I also hold up hopes that eventually enough people will wise up.  Though that fades as time goes by.. Arnold tried to get some propositions passed a few elections ago to get the financial issues somewhat under control and they were all defeated.  That was about when he seemed to mostly give up trying to fix things.

Posted by on 01/22/10 at 09:41 PM from United States

I spent my entire life there except the last year and a half, and it is hard sometimes as I do miss family and friends, but that’s about all I miss, and I have been trying to visit every 5 or 6 months or so. San Diego is a great place though, probably my favorite city out there except for Baker (gateway to Vegas).

I’ll tell ya though, I got myself a nice house out here in OH just outside of Cincy for less than the price of a one bedroom apartment condo conversion back in LA. People are nice here too. I’m probably the only asshole driver out here, but that’s wearing off now. I don’t feel like I’m in battle on the highway anymore.

Posted by on 01/23/10 at 10:14 AM from United States

Your in my neighborhood…
where outside of Cincy?

Posted by on 01/23/10 at 10:46 AM from United States

Nexus, I’m out near the Anderson East Gate area. I’m still getting use to all the township names out here.

Posted by on 01/30/10 at 06:36 PM from United States

This never had a chance of passing. What has passed, though, is the High Speed Rail project. The project was originally priced at $40 billion, but they recently increased that to $45 billion for just the SF->LA section. The price of the entire thing must be up to about $80 billion now. Including interest the total amount spent once completed will be something like $150 billion.

The original Prop-1A was sold as a $9 billion bond.

So much of the mess is due to constitutional amendments. First-5 gets $1 billion a year in cigarette money. Prop98 guarantees 40% of the general fund goes to education. $3 billion in borrowing is required for Stem Cell. The prison and teacher unions have unbelievable power. There’s no such thing as bankruptcy protection for a state, but obviously they can’t write bad checks. It will be fascinating to see how this whole thing unravels.

Next entry: What to make of this..

Previous entry: Lies, and damned lies...