Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window - Steve Wozniak

Captain Trips Reax

While Michelle Bachman is being her usual lunatic self (see Hal’s post below) the “Saner” Republicans are jumping on the Fortress America bandwagon:

A spokesman for Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz., said Wednesday night that Franks believes the border should be closed right now except in critical cases or situations involving emergency personnel.

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said all options should be considered to end the crisis involving swine flu, “including closing the border if it would prevent further transmission of the deadly virus.”

In a twitter message early Wednesday, McCain wrote “I said to Napolitano, ‘We need to be prepared to close the border with Mexico if the swine flu outbreak escalates further.’”

Now this is just pure grandstanding, with perhaps more than a hint of immigrant bashing in the bargain. I doubt that Maverick would be saying the same thing if he were in office-as Obama noted, closing the borders now would be like closing the barn doors after the horses had been let out. The WHO seems to have the right response:

The emphasis for health officials worldwide should be treating patients and strengthening preparations for outbreaks, said Keiji Fukuda, assistant director-general for health security and environment. The Geneva-based WHO isn’t recommending travel restrictions.

Now we come to Joe Biden, who, oddly, also makes sense in a general kind of way:

Vice President Joe Biden said Thursday that he would not recommend taking any commercial flight or riding in a subway car “at this point” because swine flu virus can spread “in confined places.” A little more than one hour later, Biden rushed out a statement backing off.

“I would tell members of my family — and I have — I wouldn’t go anywhere in confined places now,” Biden said on NBC’s “Today” show.. “It’s not that it’s going to Mexico. It’s [that] you’re in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes all the way through the aircraft. That’s me. …

“So, from my perspective, what it relates to is mitigation. If you’re out in the middle of a field when someone sneezes, that’s one thing. If you’re in a closed aircraft or closed container or closed car or closed classroom, it’s a different thing.”

He’s not wrong here-if you can find another way to travel that puts you at less risk, or travel less, why not be better safe than sorry? Both of the responses from WHO and the nornally gaffe-prone Veep make more sense than close-the-borders hysteria.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 04/30/09 at 02:13 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 03:49 PM from United States

This is unrelated to this particular post, but can we get rid of the “meet your meat” ad purely for aesthetic reasons?  I like the idea of PETA wasting their money on an unreceptive audience, but I frequently visit the site around lunch time.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 04/30/09 at 03:52 PM from United States

The most annoying ones are those holier-than-thou ads with Paul McCartney in that vegan T-shirt.

Posted by josparke on 04/30/09 at 04:11 PM from United States

You’re dumber than Bachmann anyway, and probably even Biden!

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/30/09 at 04:12 PM from United States

BIden’s comment sounded really dumb, telling people not to travel.  That’s panic-mongering, if you ask me.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/30/09 at 04:15 PM from United States

I should also point out that the WHO has now conlcuded that the swine flu may actually be slightly less dangerous than a typical flu strain, which kills some 30k a year.  So this is looking more and more likely media hype.

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 04:17 PM from United States

Number of people that annually die from just the plain old flu: 13,000 or so

From the “swine flu pandemic”: about a dozen confirmed by the WHO

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 06:12 PM from Germany

Jesus, you sound like Gibbs when Tapper asked about it today--"Let me tell you what he meant”.  Even Obama’s tongue-washers in the press room didn’t buy that dodge.

Posted by Aaron - Free Will on 04/30/09 at 06:30 PM from United States

It’s like these dumbshits are absolutely bent on saying everything they can to create additional chaos.

“I heard a major insurance company is going to go bankrupt, but I won’t tell you which one.”

“Why is Pakistan upset when we’re secretly cooperating with them against the Islamists? What? I wasn’t supposed to say that in front of reporters?”

“Sure, we’d be open to China’s currency proposal.”

“If we were to fly a 747 and two fighters low over Manhattan, do you think that would be a problem for anyone?”

“I don’t know about you, but I certainly wouldn’t let *my* children fly right now.”

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 09:03 PM from United States

Yes he is because this whole thing is way overblown to begin with and it’s just putting more fuel on the fire. We keep it up, and more people will die from the ensuing panic than this thing could ever hope to kill.

You have a good point though WVR, travel is a risk, so don’t cross the street, you could get hit by a car. In fact, your chances are greater than dying from this thing. And stay of the computer too. It’s making the rest of us sick.

Posted by on 05/01/09 at 05:27 AM from United States

And stay of the computer too. It’s making the rest of us sick.

Yeah, but just think of all the money he is saving.  With his head that far up his ass he’ll never have to pay for a colonoscopy…

Posted by on 05/02/09 at 07:01 PM from United States

Well it looks like our gaffe-prone veep had to get some help yet again from the administration staff to translate what he really meant. How many times are they going to have to say if he could do it over again? In fact, they should just nickname him Mr. Do Over, or Dumb Fucking Idiot. I prefer the latter, but I know it probably wouldn’t work well with conversation for most people.

Link

Posted by on 05/02/09 at 09:46 PM from Germany

In fact, they should just nickname him Mr. Do Over, or Dumb Fucking Idiot.

When Obama said he was “the Sheriff,” I guess he meant Barney Gumble.