Freedom of Press is limited to those who own one - H.L. Mencken

Christ Leaves

Charlie Crist has decided to run as an independent for the Florida Senate.  The usual suspects are crying that this proves the GOP are a bunch of crazy fundamentalist lunatics.

And the message from the GOP couldn’t be clearer: all moderate Republican politicians should leave now - before it gets even uglier. As for the gay ones: run, don’t walk.

This is, to be frank, bullshit.  The GOP may be run by fundamentalist lunatics or not, but that has nothing to do with the surge in support for Rubio over Crist.

After earning an “A” for fiscal responsibility from Cato, Crist quickly went off the deep end, passing massive tax hikes and spending increases.  When the stimulus was passed, Crist didn’t just accept the money; he used it to start new programs rather than simply shore up Florida’s finances for one year and get things in order.  This has jeopardized Florida’s long-term fiscal future by, among other things, expanding hurricane insurance.  Recently, he vetoed a plan to put a few cracks in the cartel that is Florida’s pubic education system.  He did this not out of principle but to curry favor with the teachers’ unions in preparation for an independent run at the Senate.

Crist isn’t losing the Senate race because he’s a moderate or because he’s gay.  This state elected him governor, for Christ’s sake.  He’s losing because his record has devolved into pure fiscal recklessness and pandering.  His independent run is the apotheosis of a career defined by opportunism and self-promotion rather than principle.  He’s not Lindsey Graham; he’s George Bush with better hair.

Rubio has some stands I don’t like, including some support of creationism.  But he takes budgets seriously, including a potential fix to Social Security.

Moreover, Florida is a state where a conservative can win.  The place to run moderates like Crist, if you want to pretend he is one, is the northeast or the midwest.

Update: THIS:

Many observers see Charlie Crist as a patron saint of Republican moderation, a sensible pragmatist who has been driven out of his party by frenzied Tea Partiers on a jihad against common sense. Some even suggested that Crist should join the Democrats. This is, in my view, a baseless smear against Democrats, who deserve better than to be associated with the likes of Charlie Crist. Consider Crist’s reaction to President Obama’s health reform effort. Instead of defending the effort as a sensible measure that would improve the deficit while delivering a massive coverage expansion, he seemed to argue that he liked every part of it except for the fact that it would, in his words, “raise taxes significantly, it would raise rates significantly and it would take half a trillion dollars out of Medicare.” We can debate the merits of the Affordable Care Act backwards and forwards, but surely Crist understands that paying for a coverage expansion requires either raising taxes, finding savings in the Medicare program, and probably both. But rather than make the case for, say, a less expensive approach to coverage expansion that would require less in the way of revenues or spending cuts, he wished away the problem, as he so often does.

Read the whole thing.  I’ve talked about my concern that the GOP is drifting into Obama Derangement Syndrome.  But the support Crist has found among liberals and defected conservatives is a sign of Tea Party Derangement Syndrome.  They think that if the Tea Partiers hate Crist, he must be a wonderful moderate sensible conservative.  He is anything but.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/29/10 at 08:26 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 04/29/10 at 12:36 PM from Germany

Rubio has some stands I don’t like, including some support of creationism.

First of all, there is absolutely nothing in that link you provided that even mentions the word “creationism”, let alone Rubio declaring any level of support for it.

Secondly, the actual content of the article brings up a very salient point on the whole issue of public schools. I personally loathe public schools and feel that they are responsible for a good portion of the problems plaguing the country for the last 40 years. The only reason the whole creation/evolution “discussion” even occurs, is because the federal government takes money from every person and tells them all to send their children to a government run facility to learn. It is absolutely ridiculous to expect a country made up of as many different cultures and faiths as ours to have the population’s children taught things that contradict the very core beliefs instilled at home, and have the parents pay for it.

HAL, how much would you like it if your tax dollars went to teaching creationism to your kids at school?

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/29/10 at 01:41 PM from United States

Dirk, my opinion has long been that schools should be privatized. If people want to send their kids to a school that teaches creatonism or intelligent design, that’s their problem.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 04/29/10 at 07:12 PM from United States

I put Crist in the same league as Arlan Specter-a layabout who talked the talk when it was convenient for him. He was waiting for his moment to jump ship, and he took it. So, as far as the GOP goes, no great loss there.

I think Rubio’s main problem is that he could become too identified with the aforementioned fundamentalist cranks if he wins, and that could hurt the party at a time when it stands a good chance of winning in several “Blue” states.

Anti-incumbency is the driving force in the party’s base right now. If it gets rid of the Charlie Crists, that’s a good thing. But then you have the spectre of purity tests and purges against real moderates. That’s the risk that can come back to haunt the Party in national elections.

Posted by on 04/29/10 at 11:33 PM from United States

Charlie Crist is an opportunist much like every politician (except the politicians in [state your name]your district/state.

And whether it’s true or not several internet pundits, including DRUDGE, claim Crist has been trying to contact Rahm Emmanuel in the past few days. So far the WH has been refusing his calls.

$10.00 sez he carries Broward county though ;)

Posted by Ed Kline on 04/30/10 at 09:01 AM from United States

Whaaaatt??!! Not in the specfic link? Then it must not be true at all. Hal could never have read or seen that somehwere else at a different time and then brought it up now. That’s beyond the scope of Dirk’s imagination.

The only reason the whole creation/evolution “discussion” even occurs

No Dirk, the discussion would still be going on as long as idiots like you insist on assuming fairy tales are real.
It would still be going on at the school level because even if we could all send our chidren to the schools of our dreams, the different curriculums would still be something everyone would be discussing.
I hate public schools, and my kids dont go to them. But the idea that children out there are being taught that fossil evidence was put there by Satan in order to deceive us, or that man and dinosaurs co-existed at one point would still be worth discussing to say the least.

Posted by AlexinCT on 04/30/10 at 01:54 PM from United States

These days, if you are not far enough on the lefty spectrum, all you have to say is that you think the whole creationism vs, anything else debate is overblown for the MSM and the left to paint you as a science hating Neanderthal. It’s par for the course. They might even look to sneak in such old standbys as racist, homophobe, bigot, sexist, or capitalist for good measure. They don’t even care in what you actually believe or said. They just know it makes an awesome weapon to turn “moderates” against you.

I wish people that believe collectivism has a chance to work in anything larger than a family setting, would receive half the scorn they heap on anyone else, for whatever reason. I think these people are far more stupid than those that think man and dinosaur co-existed on a 6000 year old planet, or that there is a divine hand that guides everything, including evolution. Who’se dumber? Those that want to believe in a higher power, or those that are certain government is that higher power?

Posted by Ed Kline on 05/02/10 at 11:00 AM from United States

That question doesnt make any sense. The religious people are described as only ‘want’ing to believe, and the collectivist are described as certain.
That’s absurd. For every hard core true believer leftist, there are many people who just lean left, and dont give it much thought above and beyond what they ‘feel’.
As for people of faith, the majority I meet are arrogantly certain of the their core religious beliefs.
More to the point I was addressing Dirk whose certainty in his delusions...um I mean core religious beliefs is well documented on this site.

Posted by Ed Kline on 05/02/10 at 11:02 AM from United States

How?? Why?? How is one more dumb than the other? I know which of those beliefs offends your personal sensibilities more, but how do you make the leap of creating your own personal bell curve for one delusional thought being an indication of less intelligence than another?

Posted by AlexinCT on 05/03/10 at 05:05 AM from United States

Ed, thanks for making my point for me in spades (no that was not a racist comment). You answered your own question btw.

Posted by Ed Kline on 05/03/10 at 02:35 PM from United States

Alex, I dont get it. I sometimes give you grief for abusing the word ‘collectivist’, and I tend to get in fights with the more overtly religious people who post here, but I dont lean left on fiscal issues at all. Gay marriage? Sure, I’m a total liberal, ( in the classic sense of thw word) as I am on a lot of social issues such as that, but I am deeply libertarian on the size and scope of government, so no...I really dont get your point?

You wrote :

I wrote :

you wrote :

Ed, thanks for making my point for me…

Dude WTF are you talking about? I think they are both equally stupid. Both belief systems require a departure from reason. If ‘you’re too lazy to argue, fine, but at least make sense when you do.

Posted by on 05/03/10 at 02:59 PM from Germany

Who’se dumber

Love the irony.

Posted by AlexinCT on 05/04/10 at 07:43 AM from United States

Dude WTF are you talking about? I think they are both equally stupid.

My point was that both were directed by faith rather than any kind of logic, Ed. It wasn’t about who was dumber, but which group was the most damaging. Those that think man and dinosaurs coexisted just cause me to shake my head and wonder if they ever grasped the concept that many stories in the bible - and especially Genesis - were not intended to be taken literally. The ones that think government will bring us that collectivist utopia on the other hand, despite a century of hell on earth, hundreds of millions murdered and billions imprisoned and condemned to a life of servitude to an uncaring brutal state that pretended to want to improve their lot in life wile just spreading misery equally to the serfs, and proof that you can not, if you will pardon the bastardized expression, rob Peter to buy votes from Paul, are not just dangerous, they are on the verge of plunging man into a real dark age.

We are on a real precipice, where the economies of the world are about to implode, because of those that believe this drivel that just by the fact you were born, you should be entitled to steal from other’s labors, through the power of government.

If ‘you’re too lazy to argue, fine, but at least make sense when you do.

Despite the fact that I asked about it, I wasn’t really interested in arguing who was dumber, like you seem to be, because I consider that a futile exercise that distracted from the real issue. In fact, the entire argument would only serve to remove focus from the fact that the collectivists and what they are doing and believe in has real life consequences for us all. That anyone that believes in and pushes collectivism can make fun of or ridicule anything else that those that believe in creationism might also support, galls me. If the fact that you believe in one dumb thing disqualifies everything else you believe in, then we should never take anything anyone on the left believes seriously.

Love the irony.

Leave it for you to see irony where there was sarcasm btitishcress…