Freedom of Press is limited to those who own one - H.L. Mencken

Comment of the Day

From Hal_10000 in this post.

I am, frankly, sick of this shit.  The Dems and public opinion have nothing to do with it.  Both were in favor of it initially.  Remember the huge approval ratings?  Or the vote on authorizing the war?  The public didn’t turn on Bush until things got really bad during the occupation.  And they turned on Bush because they realized he didn’t know what the hell he was doing.

The terrorists are not sitting there watching CNN’s opinion polls on the war.  And our soldiers ignored the restrictive ROE when it became clear they were fighting a guerilla enemy.  The problem was fundamental bad planning compounded by a stubborness to realize things were going wrong.  It wasn’t until the GOP go a shellacking at the polls that they suddenly realized Rumsfeld was incompetent and we needed more troops—two years after people like Lee had said the same thing, only to be braded RINOs and Bush-bashers.

Again, nothing is ever Bush’s fault.  It’s the wussy public.  It’s the evil Democrats.  It’s the barbaric Iraqis.  Everyone ANYONE instead of the Commander in Chief.

You know the fascinating thing?  During the 2004 elections the left chose as its mantra “Anyone But Bush,” or ABB.  Now, as the palace walls crumble around them, the remaining Bush supporters have basically chosen the same mantra as a means of explaining the administration’s failures.

On some level I can understand this.  The country is extremely polarized right now, and there’s a sense that if one side is right on an issue then the other side must be wrong.  While this is incorrect and overly simplistic, it’s the way much of the country views the political zeitgeist.  Many people are therefore reticent about admitting that Bush is responsible because they voted for him, which would therefore mean that (a) they are in part responsible for Bush’s actions, and (b) they’d be forced to admit (incorrectly, mind you) that the “other side” was “right.”

Voting for Bush was a mistake.  I wish I’d never done it.  I wish we’d never gone into Iraq.  These are all mistakes, and as someone who voted for Bush twice I’m willing to take whatever criticism I deserve for that decision.  That being said, in no way does this mean that the left was “right” about Bush.  It doesn’t matter what election you’re discussing, or who the candidate is, the lefties will claim that the Republican candidate is a double secret crypto fascist who seeks to usurp power regardless of Constitutional safeguards.  The lefties thus have no credibility, because they’ve made the same claim over and over again and been totally wrong.

Until Bush.

And this is what is so bad for the conservative cause.  As conservatives most of us traditionally support the GOP.  But if the GOP becomes antithetical to the cause of conservatism, it’s up to conservatives to cut loose the offending party, regroup, and begin to once again advance the cause.

I don’t oppose Bush because I’m not conservative, I oppose Bush because I am conservative.  And don’t give me any of this pragmatic shit about the Democrats being worse, that’s a total cop-out.

Let me put it this way.  When Clinton was president I thought he was a scumbag primarily because he abused the office.  He didn’t take it seriously, didn’t give the presidency the dignity it deserved.  When Bush came into office he restored that sense of dignity and decorum, instituting rules like nobody coming into the Oval Office without appropriate attire.  I remember opinion polls from early in the Bush administration where a majority of Americans thought he had restored dignity to the office of the presidency.

Clinton got his dick sucked in the White House then lied about it.  He’s a scumbag.  Bush has gotten us into a disaster of a war, instituted domestic espionage programs, instituted official torture policies which violate the Geneva Conventions and countless other treaties and agreements, done everything conceivable to alienate our allies and empower our enemies, sullied America’s reputation on the world stage, weakened habeas corpus rights, weakened fundamental Constitutional protections, and used the office of the president primarily as a tool for cementing power for the GOP.

Clinton was impeached for lying about his blowjob under oath.  Going by that standard, Bush should be beheadhed and have his severed head stuck on a pike on the front lawn of the White House.  Given a choice between a competent president with loose personal moral standards, and an incompetent douchebag with no respect for the Constitution, I’ll take the former.

Even if he is a Democrat.

Posted by Lee on 04/28/07 at 06:58 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 04/28/07 at 08:02 PM from Japan

I always thought that Americans (with regard to the Pres) voted for the man and not the party. I thought that is what made the US system unique. Of course the parties choose the guy they want to run but on election day the people measure the man regardless of his party. That is why there have been some elections that are total landslides. Correct me if I am mistaken.

Posted by Para on 04/28/07 at 08:47 PM from United States

Bush has gotten us into a disaster of a war

Really, it was Bush all by himself? I suggest you go read again my essay “the case for war” over at MW.

Posted by Lee on 04/28/07 at 08:57 PM from United States

Really, it was Bush all by himself?

See, this is an example of what I’m talking about.  This guy is the PRESIDENT OF THE FUCKING UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.  He took us to war, Para.  It was his decision.  He gave the order.  He’s the CiC.

Yes, it was Bush all by himself.  It doesn’t matter who else supported it or agreed with it, he’s the president and he gives the orders.  If you’re not prepared to accept that awesome responsibility, the best bet is not to run for president in the first fucking place.

Posted by Para on 04/28/07 at 09:11 PM from United States

Okay then.It was all Bush. Just Bush, nobody else bears any responsibility. “He gave the order”

So then, why do you think Bush decided to take us to war, and how did he do it?

Posted by Lee on 04/28/07 at 09:38 PM from United States

That’s called “leadership” and “responsibility.” Bush possesses none of the former, and you don’t seem to believe he deserves any of the latter.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 04/28/07 at 10:22 PM from United States

It’s what they call “Passing the buck” Bushbot style. “But those Dems! They voted for the war, too!” Of COURSE they did. They’re politicians and knew at that time that voting against the war would have cost them votes. As the war became increasingly unpopular, they became emboldened and were able to convince their supporters that, well, they were conned by what turned out to be bad intel (which it was). Say what you will, they at least have been able to respond to the current mood of the country. The GOP still has its head up its collective ass.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 04/28/07 at 10:26 PM from United States

BTW, with regards to competency, this is what I think is helping Obama. He may be an empty suit, but at least he acts like he would know what he was doing. Compared to a left-wing shill like Edwards and She of a Thousand Accents, Obama sounds like the reincarnation of JFK.

Posted by on 04/28/07 at 10:33 PM from Japan

There was enough evidence at the time that the administration were fishing for the intel they needed. You only need to look at how quickly Powell’s security council presentation came unstuck. It literally fell apart within hours, which is why the security council didn’t issue another resolution.

Nah. The Democrats who voted for the war are just as culpible as the administration. They were fed bullshit, but they’re the ones who lapped it up. There were plenty of people around who knew just what it was that they were chowing down on, but chow down they did.

Posted by on 04/28/07 at 11:33 PM from United States

Given who the choices were for president, Bush would still get my vote today.

Posted by Lee on 04/28/07 at 11:58 PM from United States

Given who the choices were for president, Bush would still get my vote today.

I agree entirely.  Given a choice between Bush and Kerry in 2004 Bush gets my vote.  However, knowing what I know now, if I could go back in time and recast that vote, I’d go Libertarian.  There’s no way I could vote for Bush knowing the total lack of respect he has for the constitution, laws, and customs of this country, not to mention the international community.  He’s just been a disaster as a president.

That being said, I don’t think that Bush got into this to become what he has become.  I think he believed he could do a lot of good and stood a good chance of getting elected, which Jefferson said is the first duty of a statesman.  But I think that Bush, being a son of privilege, had people his whole life who were there to make sure he didn’t make mistakes, and to clean up the ones he did man age to make.  As a result of this, he leaned an instinctive trust of these men, who in this case were Rove, Cheney, Rummy, and Condi.  This was the team he turned to, and when they recommended a course of action he took it.  After all, other than being the POTUS, who was he to second-guess the opinion of a subordinate?  So as things started turning sour, Bush was given the sanitized version of the truth, leaving the ugliness to the second- and third-tier cabinet members to implement and thus insulate the president.

Bush, in other words, has very little experience thinking on his own.  He’s not a leader, he’s a manager.  His people come to him, make their case for action on a position, and Bush picks the one he likes.  End of story.

Iraq was one of those stories.  His people told him to go in, he trusted his people, so we gave the order.  By giving that order he tacitly assumed any responsibility for what would happen as a result of that order.

Unless, of course, you;re Para, in which case Bush had nothing to do with it, and it was all the fault of the evil media who hate America and want to see us turn into an Islamic dictatorship.