The Government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. - Mark Twain

Comment of the Day

In this post, by LiveFreeOrDie.

Lee, I ditched this site about 6 months ago because of the Bush bashing and I perceived racism.

I’m here eating Humble pie. This bastard is a fascist fucktard. He’s letting huge fucking corporations make the bureaucratic laws.

And you’re right about the fucking torture issue too. Damnit.

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

This damn immigration bill finally brought me around.

Did you see the post office rate restructuring? Both NRO and The Nation came out against it. WTF. Same shit.

Oh, btw. Remember when Clinton said “The end of the era of big government”. Yeah, this is what that bastard had in mind also.

American Liberty is in danger.

I get accused of “Bush bashing” all the time.  It’s funny how quickly the idea of “bashing” can turn to “telling the truth about.” LiveFree, welcome back bro.

Posted by Lee on 05/31/07 at 10:55 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 06/01/07 at 06:11 AM from United States

Lee, I accuse you of ‘Bush bashing’ as well. However, I don’t find anything wrong with ‘bashing’ so long as it’s reasoned criticsim and not Bush Derangment Syndrom.

Posted by Brian at Tomfoolery on 06/01/07 at 11:56 AM from United States

I agree with Nexus completely.  He is a brilliant and reasoned individual and reminds me of me.

Posted by InsipiD on 06/01/07 at 01:10 PM from United States

Most of the bashing makes good sense until you join the convict/war crimes/impeach crowd.  You should know better than to think that it will happen, and it would lead right into “President Cheney.”

LiveFree, what racism were you talking about?  I think most everyone is hypersensitized to racism today, and people mistake an occasional joke or epithet for deeply-held hatred and life warping prejudices.  I don’t believe that anyone here has presented themselves in a way that seems like they are racist.  Surely noone believes that Lee’s occasional “Nigga” means that he drags people to death behind his pickup or even would break in line just because someone else is black.  Merely recognizing race, categorizing others and so on do not amount to damaging racial behavior.

Posted by Lee on 06/01/07 at 01:33 PM from United States

Oh, I’m definitely not in favor of an impeachment.  All I’ve said is that, should someone decide to do so, I think a solid war crimes case could be made against Rumsfeld and Cheney and probably Bush.  But even the most die-hard Republican has to admit that, going by the Bill Clinton standard for impeachment, Bush should have been impeached a loooooong time ago.

I think the country is too polarized for an impeachment, and that polarization is due in large part to the last impeachment.  Bush will be gone in two years, we just need to gut it out until then.

Posted by Brian at Tomfoolery on 06/01/07 at 11:25 PM from United States

Solid war crimes case against Cheney and Rumsfeld, and maybe Bush?  Man, I’d love to hear you analyze the applicable law on that one Lee.  I had this same argument in an open forum in law school with a 20-year ACLU lawyer and demolished him.  Completely demolished him.  Bottom line, what constitutes war crimes depends on whose politics are in control.  As for international law, that is a joke and everyone knows it.  The President’s power as Commander in Chief trumps everything, including the treaty power.  You know why?  because courts would not dare touch it under the political question doctrine.

Now, if you believe Rumsfeld, etc. acted immorally, I’ll concede that there is merit to your position.  To say it is criminal however, is nothing more than reading personal politics into the law.

Next entry: Born to be Bad