The Government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. - Mark Twain

Disgraceful Teenagers

Don’t these girls get it?

Seven teenagers, imbued with spunk and perseverance, have accomplished what movie operators, developers and politicians could not: They’ve landed a 12-screen cinema for downtown Petaluma.

Fulfilling a longshot dream born one lazy November afternoon in 2001, the seven girls have persuaded a local developer to build a movie complex downtown. That will give teens a bit of independence when they want to take in the latest film fantasy—instead of relying on parents to ferry them back and forth to theaters in nearby cities, they’ll be able to just walk down the block. ...

Petaluma, a city of 54,000, has suffered a cinematic void since the spring of 2001, when Los Angeles-based Pacific Theaters closed the eight- screen Petaluma Cinemas. Since Cinema West—which will operate the new complex—shuttered its five-screen theater the year before, Petalumans had to head to Rohnert Park, Santa Rosa or Novato to see a movie.

No more. The $9 million, 1,400-seat theater on the corner of Petaluma Boulevard and C Street will cover about 30,000 square feet, said White, president of Basin Street Properties, a prominent Petaluma development firm that has revitalized much of Petaluma’s historic core and is taking on the project. Four theaters dedicated to showing films from independent producers will be housed in an existing brick building, which sported cutouts of the Terminator, Elvis, Sylvester Stallone and other movie idols for Thursday’s ceremony. Another eight screens for Hollywood ventures will be enclosed in the building to be constructed.

“Communities throughout California have found downtown theaters attract foot traffic and help revitalize the downtown,” said Dave Corkill, owner of Cinema West.

These girls have it all backwards.  When you want to accomplish something you do NOT go about it this way.  What they should have done was appealed to their local elected representatives, who should have passed a law requiring any movie theater wanting to do business in the country to build a complex in downtown Petaluma.  That, my friends, is the way that you get things done!  I mean, what did these girls do?  They went to a developer (Boo!  Hiss!) and explained to them why it was in their economic interests (Greed!) to build a theater in the area.  The tactic shown by these girls smacks of rugged individualism, capitalism, and communal benefit through individual self-interest.  It’s just disgusting the way these girls got exactly what they wanted by unleashing the awesome power of the free market.

This is NOT the way that activism is supposed to take place! I mean, if these girls can get what they want by utilizing market forces and bypassing their elected officials, what is to stop more people from doing so?  Pretty soon there won’t be much of a need for local government!

The horror…

Posted by Lee on 01/30/04 at 04:11 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 04/21/05 at 11:26 PM from United States

I dont know if you live in Petaluma, but I do and the theater woudn’t even be on the drawing board if it were to go through the local goverment here. If you give such a crap, why didnt you go get us a movie theater?

Posted by Drumwaster on 04/21/05 at 11:38 PM from United States

Welcome to the concept of “sarcasm”, you twit.

Posted by on 05/07/05 at 12:33 AM from United States

So He/She just wrote this for pure shits and giggles? I have a hard time thinking that even the idiot who wrote this would merely be acting sarcastic.

Posted by Drumwaster on 05/07/05 at 12:48 AM from United States

No, dumbass, Lee wrote this to point out the idiocy normally found in liberals and their attempts at solving a problem - mainly in getting the government involved.

Classic conservatism can manage to get things done without government oversight, by either recognizing or creating a market (need), and then enticing a business into putting forth the capital outlay in order to fill that market’s needs. In this case, it is a movie theater complex.

The seven young girls in this story did exactly that.

However, liberal Big Government-ists would have “appealed to their local elected representatives, who should have passed a law requiring any movie theater wanting to do business in the country to build a complex in downtown Petaluma.”

Lee was poking fun at that type of idiot by pretending to argue from their point of view, speaking aloud the (normally) unspoken assumptions under which liberals tend to operate.

Maybe you should read a little more of the site than just this one entry. You will quickly pick out Lee’s general overview on politics, social and economic issues, etc.

You certainly won’t learn it by bitching about posts that are many months old.

Just click on the picture at the top of the page, and you’ll get taken to the front page, where you can actually learn about Lee.

***

Jiminy Cricket on a Ritz… explaining humor is tough!!

Posted by on 05/07/05 at 01:01 AM from United States

I guess I just have to be part of the clique. Anyways, I appricate your explation for my ill-informed “dumb-ass”. Anyways, if you care at all, I work at the theater and I appreicate what the girls did as now I have a job. Pretty much I could give a shit about everybody else, I guess I was just so angry at Lee’s post becuase of his sarcasm. So would that make it that I actually agree with Lee.... in a non comprehending way?

Posted by Drumwaster on 05/07/05 at 01:08 AM from United States

Quite true. I hope you’ll stick around, and I’m glad that you have such a fun job. (I worked in a theater for a while back in high school. Free movies were da bomb, yo...)

I’ll give ya one heads-up, though. After a while, you will probably find that the mere existence of popcorn irritates you.

:-)

PS: Have you read any of the other stuff yet?