You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life - Albert Camus

End Game

Team McCain is saying the polls are crap, which is the last desperate scream of a campaign.  If you want to know what’s really happening, check out Quinn’s report on the stark difference between the campaigns’ ground games:

These ground campaigns do not bear any relationship to one another. One side has something in the neighborhood of five million volunteers all assigned to very clear and specific pieces of the operation, and the other seems to have something like a thousand volunteers scattered throughout the country. Jon Tester’s 2006 Senate race in Montana had more volunteers—by a mile—than John McCain’s 2006 presidential campaign.

When Republican volunteers talk to us about how much enthusiasm and participation they notice in fellow volunteers, they mention how many people have come to pick up yard signs or bumper stickers. We haven’t yet seen a single Republican canvasser. (The one in Cortez, CO was staged; she said canvassing is the kind of thing she would do, and we made a decision to do the picture because we were concerned with not presenting “balance.” There is no balance in the facts.)

I’m in Texas, a state which is drawing slightly less electoral attention than Namibia.  I’m curious to hear if this story jibes with what our readers in battleground states are seeing.  It would not surprise me.  Obama’s Texas Primary campaign was extremely visible and well-organized.  That tends to happen when people with nothing better to do (e.g., students) are drawn to your campaign.  But is the McCain campaign really this desultory?

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/31/08 at 03:41 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 10/31/08 at 05:13 PM from United States

Hal -

I think we might be on the verge of a historic landslide.  Have you seen the numbers out of Louisiana, Arizona, North Dakota, South Dakota and a few others?

Check out Charlie Cook Political Report Updates

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/31/08 at 05:29 PM from United States

Yes, I have seen them Gad.  I’m a little skeptical, though.  But if it’s this bad....

Posted by on 10/31/08 at 05:55 PM from United States

Hal, here in East Cobb, signs are 50-50 for Obama and McCain.  I have an Obama sign in my yard and a woman in the neighborhood put a flyer in my mailbox asking for small donations for snacks and drinks for Obama’s “Get Out the Vote” campaign.  I drove over and gave her 10 bucks and had a nice conversation with that rarest of creatures - an East Cobb liberal.  I refrained from telling her that at one point I was gonna vote for Barr.  Was that mean?

Posted by HARLEY on 10/31/08 at 07:40 PM from United States

Landslide, hardly,, its gonna be tighter than a new inmates ass at shower time.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/31/08 at 07:58 PM from United States

East Cobb is 50-50 Obama?  Good God.

Posted by Miguelito on 10/31/08 at 08:12 PM from United States

I’d say the signs are about 50/50 here in San Diego (at least in my neck of the woods).

Harley: I think he might mean electoral.  Keep in mind it could be damn near dead even popular vote wise, but Obama could still have a landslide electorally due to winning all the most populous states.  If that happens, I hope they don’t still go for all that “we’ve got a mandate” crap and try to go socialist full steam ahead.  Then again, the choice is between going socialist mid speed, or full speed, so we’re screwed either way.

Posted by on 10/31/08 at 08:14 PM from United States

Just remember, Kerry and Gore were projected to win as well....

Posted by on 10/31/08 at 08:19 PM from United States

Obama - 353
McCain - 185

That’s my final guesstimate.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/31/08 at 10:16 PM from United States

Just remember, Kerry and Gore were projected to win as well....

Incorrect.  Bush was project to win and 2000 was too close to call.

Posted by on 11/01/08 at 12:07 AM from United States

Incorrect.  Bush was project to win and 2000 was too close to call.

Depends on which poll you happened to read - pretty much the way it is right now.  There are a million of them out there, none of them seem to agree with each other worth a crap.

Most opinion polls are total shit anyway - they tend to be poorly designed and only interview people they manage to get on the phone, which tends to not be very accurate.  Exit polls are also shit - they favor the candidate with the most fervent backers, which may or may not be who gets the most votes.

It ain’t over until the fat lady sings…

Posted by HARLEY on 11/01/08 at 07:02 AM from United States

Obama - 353
McCain - 185

That’s my final guesstimate.

Id say that is about right, but as far as a blow out.. .fuck if McCain looses the battleground states by 5% or less, its not a blow out.

Posted by HARLEY on 11/01/08 at 07:08 AM from United States

Yeah, i hear ya, but as i have been fucking saying for the last few years now THAT is what most of the population wants, socialism, but they dotn want to call it that.
COME SAVE ME UNCLE SUGAR, SAVE ME FROM MY BAD JUDGMENT!

Fuck it.
Missouri is Tight now, I was thinking MAYBE voting for McCain’s, old ass, so there be a chance in the battle ground states.
I’m voting for BARR, i want BOTH of them to loose, however with the way things are WE all are gonna lose Tuesday.