Chance favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

Fists Don’t Kill People
by

Boy, it’s a good thing that handguns are restricted because it may have been a lot easier to kill this guy over some stupid bullshit than having to use fists and feet to bludgeon him to death.

Man killed in fight over watering

SYDNEY, Australia - A 66-year-old man was bashed to death while watering his lawn following an argument with a neighbor over the city’s water restrictions, police and media said Thursday.

Police alleged in a statement that Munter approached Proctor Wednesday as he watered his lawn with a hose at 5:30 p.m. and an argument ensued. Television and radio news bulletins reported the argument was over Sydney’s water restrictions.

Proctor reportedly sprayed Munter with the hose. Police allege Munter responded by punching and pushing Proctor to the ground and kicking him.

I support mandatory hand and leg cuffs to prevent this kind of tragedy. If he had to get the key from the cupboard, he may have had just enough time to cool down.

Update from Lee: I’m still waiting on Australia to ban pointed sticks.  We all know how dangerous a man can be with a pointed stick.  And since any stick can be turned into a pointed stick quite easily, the ban should be on all sticks of any size or variety.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 08:54 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 11:31 AM from United States

"It’s real simple. People will find a way to kill other people, regardless of the tools involved.”

It’s even simpler than that.  People WILL always find ways to kill people.  Guns just make it alot quicker and less messy (for the SHOOTER, anyway.
The above quote is a straw man arguemnt against Gun Control...always has been, always will be.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 12:10 PM from United Kingdom

Yes, but guns make it easier.

People also find ways to blow up peoples houses but if you were allowed to own you own tank, that would also be easier.

There are good reasons for guns to be legal, but this is not a good argument against banning guns.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 12:44 PM from United States

I’m not making a statement about gun control as much as a commentary on the delusions of gun control fanatics. The fanatics tend to believe the every tragedy requires a legislative response and that if people didn’t have guns, bad shit wouldn’t happen. Gun violence issues are so overblown with emotion, it’s not even funny.

Personally, I believe in restricting access to certain weapons. However, trying to eradicate all guns (which some people want) is lunacy. I’m much more concerned that people are prosecuted for gun crimes because we know for certain those are the people that shouldn’t have guns. There are other reasonable measures as well.

Nevertheless, look how easy it was for this guy to kill his neighbor in a fit of rage. It might have actually been harder to go back inside and get a gun.

Fists and feet. Everybody has ‘em and they can be just as deadly as any other weapon. Not a straw man, just a fact. Isn’t it better to look at the reasons for people killing each other or is that too hard so we settle on gun control?

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 01:39 PM from United States

Isn’t it better to look at the reasons for people killing each other

Certain is.  I think somebody tried a few years back, but he ain’t too popular around these parts.  ;)

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 01:39 PM from United States

We look at the reasons why people kill each other every day.  It happens all the time...in Iraq, in suburbia, in school , in the office.  I agree with you that we need to figure out the reasons WHY people commit murder, but until such time as we can answer that question, we need to look at the tools of the trade.
I am not a Anti-gun nut.  I enjoy target shooting, and I support the right to bear arms...I just think we need to take a look at HOW we bear them.
And As an aside...fists and feet are NOT as deadly as any other weapon. I can kill more people in 5 minutes with an AR-15 than I can with brass knuckles and steel toed boots.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 01:51 PM from United States

Guns make it easier and more efficient, but really, beating someone to death is pretty easy already if you’re motivated or somewhat trained in martial arts.  People do it all the time.

Then there is the infamous “blunt instrument” approach…

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 01:59 PM from United States

Fists don’t kill people...unless they belong to Chuck Norris.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 02:19 PM from United States

Fists don’t kill people...unless they belong to Chuck Norris.

You can’t quit with just one:

When the Boogeyman goes to sleep every night, he checks his closet for Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris doesn’t read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.

Outer space exists because it’s afraid to be on the same planet with Chuck Norris.

Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.

Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

Chuck Norris counted to infinity - twice.

There is no chin behind Chuck Norris’ beard. There is only another fist.

When Chuck Norris does a pushup, he isn’t lifting himself up, he’s pushing the Earth down.

Chuck Norris is so fast, he can run around the world and punch himself in the back of the head.

Chuck Norris’ hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Chuck Norris can lead a horse to water AND make it drink.

Chuck Norris doesn’t wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.

Chuck Norris gave Mona Lisa that smile.

Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.

Chuck Norris does not get frostbite. Chuck Norris bites frost

Remember the Soviet Union? They decided to quit after watching a DeltaForce marathon on Satellite TV.

Contrary to popular belief, America is not a democracy, it is a Chucktatorship.

Posted by Thrill on 11/01/07 at 02:33 PM from United States

I love those.

My favorite is still:

If you ask Chuck Norris what time it is, he says, “Two seconds ‘til.” When you say, “Two seconds until what?”; he roundhouse kicks you in the face.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 03:03 PM from United States

I dunno… just a crazy thought that just occurred to me… maybe if the victim had a gun, he would still be alive today.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 03:08 PM from United Kingdom

Anybody who can beat someone dead could have killed them with a gun. The reverse istn’t the case.

Banning guns would, without a doubt, reduce the number of murders where it is all too easy to shoot someone when you wouldn’t go and beat them to death. The question is whether the reduction in those murders would be offset by the potential increase in other murders because people can not defend themselves in the same way.

Personally, I think murder is generally pre-meditated or through ‘accidental’ escalation. Being armed yourself is unlikely to prevent the former, the question is perhaps whether it prevents the later.

Posted by InsipiD on 11/01/07 at 03:41 PM from United States

Bingo.  It’s worth mentioning as well that it seems that the murderer was one of those self-righteous know-it-all liberal pricks telling someone that he ought to go to hell for watering his lawn and doing his damnedest to follow through.  I’m sure he’s in favor of gun control, too.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 04:53 PM from United States

Chuck Norris doesn’t go hunting.  Hunting implies the possibility of failure.  Chuck Norris goes killing.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 05:15 PM from United States

Chuck Norris’s tears cure cancer. Unfortunately, Chuck Norris has never cried.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 05:36 PM from United States

When Chuck Norris has sex with a man, it won’t be because he is gay. It will be because he has run out of women.

When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn’t get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris.

Posted by on 11/01/07 at 07:09 PM from Japan

So what you are saying is… you carry a firearm whenever you water the lawn. Confess now - it’s the only way to protect yourself and your vital bodily (and household) fluids.

You still can’t get past the argument that a vast majority of Australians (and Japanese for that matter) actually really like living in societies without guns.

Posted by HARLEY on 11/01/07 at 07:34 PM from United States

thats their problem…

Posted by InsipiD on 11/01/07 at 07:48 PM from United States

I don’t water the lawn.  Someone does that for me.  However, I often carry a gun when I’m going about my normal business, provided it doesn’t take me within a gun-free zone such as schools or (gasp) the Verizon Wireless store.

Japan is totally free of guns, maybe.
Australia is, too.

I would love to live in a society without guns.  There’s no such thing, so I’m happy I can legally have one in case I need it.  If I can’t legally have one, I won’t, but that doesn’t stop the kind of people who would give me a reason to have one.  I’m also happy that I have one in case some ill-prepared thug breaks in with a club instead.  I’m not an athlete, and I lack any sort of Chuck Norris-style martial arts training.  That said, I’m a practiced shot with a handgun, and I can hit targets with either hand with any of my guns at distances up to 20 yards.  I hope I won’t have to use them for anything but fun, but I can and will.

Posted by Thrill on 11/02/07 at 02:31 AM from United States

On November 22, 1963; Lee Harvey Oswald shot at Chuck Norris from the school book depository in Dealey Plaza in Dallas with a bolt action rifle.  Chuck Norris caught all of the rounds in his beard and collapsed the depository into rubble with one roundhouse kick.  President Kennedy witnessed the feat from a passing car and was so amazed, his head exploded.

Next entry: Speaking Of Fisting...

Previous entry: Paying the Piper