If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Got His Number

You know what’s sad?  The fucking Iranians are right about Bush.

Iran on Thursday dismissed US President George W. Bush’s allegations of its interference in Iraq as “undocumented” and a sign of “political despair,” local news agencies reported.

“Bush’s statements lack any new and documented points and are a sign of indecision, lack of wisdom and political despair,” Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said, quoted by the semi-official Mehr news agency.

Hey, if you like what we’ve done with Iraq then you’ll love Bush’s plans for Iran.

Update: A LOT of people have completely misconstrued the point of this post.  I’m appending the words “about Bush” to the end of the first sentence.  I merely thought that “indecision, lack of wisdom and political despair” was a pretty good description of the situation Bush now finds himself in.

For the record, of course Iran is supplying the insurgency.  One of my main complaints over the past 4 years is that we were doing nothing to secure the borders.  And now, mysteriously, fighters and weapons from Iran are coming into Iraq.  What a conundrum!

So here’s the problem.  When Bush came to us and said Iraq was a threat we supported him and we invaded.  They subsequently didn’t find any WMD whatsoever, a few old shell casings with mustard gas notwithstanding.  Bush has been pretty much wrong about every single thing he’s ever said about Iraq.  Now comes Iran.  Now the same president is waving his arms, pointing at Iran and saying “Lookee here!”

Would you keep going to a doctor who consistently diagnosed your illnesses incorrectly?  No?  Well, when dealing with a president with an abominable track record on Iraq, who is known to selectively pick and choose what information he releases, who has a record of lying and dishonesty that would make Bill Clinton faint, you’ll have to excuse me for not throwing my legs over my head and polluting my breeches in celebration that our wonderful leader is telling us about Iran being an imminent threat.

It probably is.  Too bad there’s nobody in this administration I trust to give an honest evaluation of the situation.

Posted by Lee on 08/30/07 at 09:48 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Thrill on 08/30/07 at 10:14 AM from United States

WHAT?

Are you trying to say that no Iran has not interfered in Iraq at all?

Whether or not we have a signed and notarized order from Ahmadinejad detailing IRG plots against American forces, it is clear that the Iranians are making and smuggling in bombs that are killing our troops. Iran is a totalitarian regime; do you really think that someone could be involved in such an operation without the government of that country knowing about it at the very least?

This is one of those instances where you have nobody but yourself to blame for all the accusations of BDS.  I hope you clarify your position on this.

Posted by Lee on 08/30/07 at 10:20 AM from United States

WHAT?

Are you trying to say that no Iran has not interfered in Iraq at all?

Of course they have.  Perhaps, y’know, we shoulda sent enough troops to patrol that border, something we didn’t do for the first two years of the war.

But that matters far less than the effect of the liberal media and the lack of grit by Americans.  We’re all fucking pussies.  Just ask John Cross.

Oh, I have no doubt whatsoever that what Bush has said about Iran is true.  And the reason he keeps saying it is because he needs to distract attention away from the goatfuck he created in Iraq.  So now he’s waving his arms saying, “Hey, everyone, look over here!”

“Indecision, lack of wisdom and political despair.” Are you seriously going to tell me that this doesn’t perfectly describe the Bush administration?

Well, I usually look at who is making the accusation.

Posted by Thrill on 08/30/07 at 10:25 AM from United States

So you’re saying that Bush is telling the truth about a terrorist-sponsoring nation killing our troops AND it’s all a political ploy at the same time?  Wow.

Posted by Lee on 08/30/07 at 10:29 AM from United States

I’m saying that Bush is largely responsible for permitting Iran to do this in the first place.  Is there anyone reading this who thought Iran was just going to sit by and allow the US to come in and establish a presence next door?  Well, the generals and the geniuses in the administration must have thought that, because it took them two years to start patrolling that border.  Then, when Iranian components start killing American soldiers, why, it’s like nobody could have seen this coming!  And now we have to focus on Iran!

So yes, absolutely.  He’s right about Iranian interference, AND he’s using Iran as a political ploy.  Just like he’s done with every other issue that has arisen since he became president.  The entire war has been one big political ploy for him and the GOP, who were far more interested in having a cudgel to make Democrats look weak rather than on winning the war.

Posted by Thrill on 08/30/07 at 10:38 AM from United States

Let’s see if I can connect the dots:

So....Bush made the Iranians further destabilize Iraq so that he could blame the Iranians for further destabilizing Iraq?

I can’t believe the nerve of Bush-telling the truth about what our enemies are doing to foil our policies!

Truly a cunning plan

In the next act, we’ll learn about how Bush deliberately introduced Social Security reform SPECIFICALLY so that the Democrats could defeat it.  He’s like Machiavelli or something.

Posted by John Cross on 08/30/07 at 10:51 AM from United States

Lee, willfully misinterpreting my comments to forward your personal template where those who disagree with you are concerned is a behavior not worthy of your intellect.

Posted by Lee on 08/30/07 at 11:50 AM from United States

No.  Bush, through his monumental incompetence, allowed Iranian and Syrian agents to cross the borders at will.  Then, (gasp!), Iranian bombs are killing soldiers!  Who the hell could have seen that one coming!

Posted by Lee on 08/30/07 at 11:51 AM from United States

I am not willfully misinterpreting anything.  The crux of your entire argument has been that the American people are too weak to support a brutal, protracted war because the media only shows bad stuff.

Posted by Thrill on 08/30/07 at 11:56 AM from United States

Iranian bombs are killing soldiers!

Well, I guess Bush shouldn’t point out the fact that Iran is killing American soldiers since he made it happen.  Maybe we should just ignore what the Iranians are doing so Bush doesn’t get a boost in the polls by taking them on.

That’ll show Bush.

Posted by Brian at Tomfoolery on 08/30/07 at 01:07 PM from United States

Lee, you must be fucking joking if you think Iran hasn’t interfered in Iraq.

The mullahs know how to play the American media and American liberals for suckers, just like many other dspots in the past and present.

I cannot believe how much of a sucker you have become for everything that is anti-Bush.  I would have never predicted it in a hundred years.  The Lee I know and love would have saw this for what it is, a bunch of bullshit.  The Iranians are attempt to counter what everyone knows:  The surge is working and Americans are responding favorably.  It is the Iranians that are desperate for us to fail.  Lucky for them, they got the U.S. media to get their bullshit out.

What I don’t get Lee is that in the post you see that are “absolutely right” but in the comments you say that “of course” they have interfered.  How could the fucking Iranians be absolutely right in denying they have interfered?

I expect the usual “the facts are wrong but the narrative is right” (Bush sucks, in this case) or “fake but accurate” from the NY Times and their ilk, not from you.

Posted by Lee on 08/30/07 at 01:16 PM from United States

Lee, you must be fucking joking if you think Iran hasn’t interfered in Iraq.

Scroll up and read the second comment.  Other than that, I thought “Indecision, lack of wisdom and political despair” was a pretty good description of Bush.

Posted by on 08/30/07 at 01:58 PM from United States

I remember back when I was a faithful heathen-smiting Jarhead in Iraq.  I was lucky that I was part of the initial invasion and never got stuck in the long horrid occupation aftermath.

But even back then, it was even before Bush had his wonderful aircraft-carrier photo-op, while I was in Al-Kut we had reports of hordes of people flowing into Iraq from the Iran border.

Of course we weren’t ever told to do anything about it.  But everyone in my unit saw all this shit coming a long ways off, while the words “victory” and “mission accomplished” were still fresh on everyone’s tongues.

Oh well, it’s just a good lesson for next time, amirite?

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 08/30/07 at 04:10 PM from United States

I’m sure Bush would say the Iranians are just doing the jobs that Iraqi insurgents won’t do.

I don’t think it’s any secret that the Shiites who are now running the show in Iraq want a stronger relationship with Iran. And the Bush administration doesn’t want to upset our Shiite “allies.” And of course Ima Dinnerjacket can laugh at Bush because he knows that the American people are loathe to support another war at this point-thanks to Bush’s incompetence.

Welcome to the Bizzaro World of the Great War on Terror.

Posted by Brian at Tomfoolery on 08/30/07 at 07:28 PM from United States

Like I said, Lee, which was confirmed by your response, “Fake but accurate” and “the narrative is right but the facts are wrong.”

I cannot believe what I am reading here at times these days.  I expect better insight from you than this.

Posted by Lee on 08/30/07 at 07:56 PM from United States

Considering I agree with all the facts in the article, what facts am I claiming are fake but accurate?  How does saying “For the record, of course Iran is supplying the insurgency,” lead you to believe that I don’t think Iran is supplying the insurgency?

Next entry: Missing Benchmarks