Freedom of Press is limited to those who own one - H.L. Mencken

Hafta Pass CAFTA

Score one for the free market.

The House narrowly approved the Central American Free Trade Agreement early Thursday, a personal triumph for President Bush, who campaigned aggressively for the accord he said would foster prosperity and democracy in the hemisphere.

The 217-215 vote just after midnight adds six Latin American countries to the growing lists of nations with free trade agreements with the United States and averts what could have been a major political embarrassment for the Bush administration.

It was an uphill effort to win a majority, with Bush traveling to Capitol Hill earlier in the day to appeal to wavering Republicans to support a deal he said was critical to U.S. national security.

The vote, supposed to take 15 minutes, dragged on for an hour as negotiations swirled around the floor among GOP leaders and rank-and-file members reluctant to vote for the agreement. In the end, 27 Republicans voted against CAFTA, while 15 Democrats supported it.

I’ll bet that the Republicans who voted against it were all from states with heavy manufacturing bases.  I’ll check the roll call tomorrow.

Democrats, who were overwhelmingly against CAFTA, also argued that its labor rights provisions were weak and would result in exploitation of workers in Central America.

Democrats don’t give a shit about “exploited” workers in Central America.  In their parlance, exploited means “willing to work shit jobs for less than Americans.” They opposed this because the big unions were all opposed to it.  And I’ll be willing to bet that the Democrats who voted for the bill are all from states with very little manufacturing, and thus much less beholden to their union overlords than the rest of the party.

Besides, exploitation of foreign labor is why I can go to Old Navy and buy as pair of cargo shorts for $17, and Old Navy still makes a profit from it.  That’s capitalism, Jack, and nothing in human history has ever worked better.  This is a big win for Bush.

Posted by Lee on 07/28/05 at 12:42 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Helo on 07/28/05 at 03:45 AM from United States

Good call, Lee! Here’s some fun facts about unions/unionists/socialists/communists: In 1910, the Los Angeles Times building was bombed by unionists who disliked the Times conservative approach to hiring workers. .Here’s the details of it. The AFL-CIO later praised them.

OT: Do you, or anyone for that matter, know where I can find the voting records for the LA County Supervisors? They’re spending like mad on all the wrong things, and I’d like to write a post about it

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 09:25 AM from United States

"labor” as a viable political entity is pretty much gone.  Democrats need to realize that getting the endorsement of the Teamsters (and other criminal organizations) no longer means getting votes.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 09:28 AM from United States

CAFTA isn’t taking jobs from Americans, it is taking jobs from Chinese by making the Central American coutries more competitive with outsourcing to China.  If the job was going to be exported, it would have been exported to China already.  I would much rather support economic stability in the Americas than China.

Posted by Drumwaster on 07/28/05 at 09:31 AM from United States

Besides, as Adam Smith showed, you don’t make poor people richer by narrowing the bell curve of wealth. You do it by shifting it to the right, which makes EVERYONE wealthier.

Posted by The Fly on 07/28/05 at 09:47 AM from United States

And all this time I thought you just bought used canvas sails from the Royal Navy and took them to a tailor!

(Kidding!)

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 09:57 AM from United States

I’m completely for the right to unionize. However, I don’t think they are a good way to go anymore, what with a “global” economy. They more than encourage companies to go overseas. However, I don’t necessarily think they’re a big deal at all for markets that won’t go overseas, like the Teachers Union. What say you all?

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 10:12 AM from United States

Lee,

I just looked at the house web site:

Passage Vote

Nice how they don’t put the party designation besides the list.  I know my congress woman (Candice Miller), who’s pretty good otherwise, voted against it.  Too many auto workers out here by me.

FYI

TV (Harry)

Posted by Drumwaster on 07/28/05 at 10:17 AM from United States

Nice how they don’t put the party designation besides the list.

Republicans are in normal text, Dems are in italics, and Independents are underlined.

Posted by HARLEY on 07/28/05 at 10:36 AM from United States

Having been In a Union and seeing how they work and operated. i can say that they are more corrupt than any big business.

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 02:07 PM from United States

I agree Unions are way past there usefulness and just a bunch of Mafia type thugs now. This pretty much nails it “They more than encourage companies to go overseas”. They keep overpricing their underacheiving skill level and wonder why the jobs leave. They can’t see they are their own worst enemy

What I can’t figure out is if the Left Elitists think they should be on top due to their superior intellect, why to they keep allowing unions to charge 3 times the minimum wage for labor thus keeping an uneducated bolt spinner basicaly on plane with them in Acedemia?

Posted by on 07/28/05 at 02:30 PM from United States

Holy Cow!!  I didn’t notice.

Thanx Drum.

TV (Harry)

Posted by Helga Phugly on 07/28/05 at 11:53 PM from United States

If I’m not mistaken, it’s often police unions and firefighters unions that can negotiate health and life insurance for their members.  I think that this is a good thing, as a lot of insurance companies wouldn’t consider the men and women in these professions individually.  The unions have a way of obtaining affordable coverage.  Beyond that, though, I think that most other unions are corrupt and evil.

Somebody please correct me if I’m wrong about the police / firefighters unions and the insurance companies.

Next entry: Allah's Blow