You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life - Albert Camus

Hating Whitey

Have you seen the new series of commercials for Embassy Suites hotels?  Basically it goes something like this.  A boss and an employee run into another employee in the hall or outside an elevator.  The boss says “Johnson, I’m sending Smith here to the conference instead of you.” The boss then goes on to provide a gimmicky reason, after which the commercial ends with a shot of the superior employee enjoying the amenities at Embassy Suites.

As you see these, notice something.  In one commercial the boss is a black male, the superior employee is a white female, and the doofus employee is a white male.  In another commercial the boss is a white female, the superior employee is a black male, and the doofus is a white male.  See a pattern here?

You can’t make a black the doofus because that would be racist.  You can’t make the doofus a woman because that would be sexist.  But it’s perfectly acceptable to make fun of white males all you like.

This reminds me of an observation Howard Stern made once, when the Williams Sisters were playing in the finals at Wimbledon.  He noted that the network covering the event had hired a former black tennis star to provide the color commentary, and wondered why they had chosen this woman over a player of superior caliber like Martina Navratalova.  He then answered his own question: because the network didn’t want a white person being critical of a black player.

America is supposed to be a pluralistic, multi-racial, multi-ethnic society.  What we have devolved into is a series of protected classes, with the only unprotected class being the white male.  It’s open season on us.

Ironically, we’re the only people in the country who don’t whine and piss and moan to our legislators when this sort of thing happens, begging for protection for our feelings.  Funny how that works.

Posted by Lee on 10/29/05 at 11:46 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Helo on 10/30/05 at 01:27 AM from United States

White males have it the worst in America. I don’t care what Je$$e Jack$on or any of his cohorts say, if you’re black and you want to complain about some perceived injustice, you’re going to be handed the key to the city.

A good example of this is Los Angeles’ consent decree for hiring police officers. Believing the white officers are destined to be racist, they’ve lowered the hiring standards for black and Hispanic recruits in order to make sure there’s a ton of them on the police force. Don’t believe me? Read about it on the LAPD website.

The City of Los Angeles has voluntarily agreed to a consent decree approved in Federal court which provides for increased representation of Blacks, Hispanics and women in the rank of Police Officer. In addition, the City is interested in increasing the number of Asian-Pacific Police Officers. Applicants who speak an Asian-Pacific and/or other foreign language(s) may be eligible for selective certification and bonus pay.

Yes! The last thing we need is qualified police officers. Let’s just make sure they’re the right color so we won’t get sued anymore.

Posted by The Contrarian on 10/30/05 at 01:43 AM from United States

You know, I don’t really like hearing anybody complain about how bad things are for them because of their skin color, white or black. Blacks complain more, and sometimes it is justified, but these days, usually it isn’t. I mean, look at the standard of living, the technology, the opportunities available to us today that our ancestors could never have dreamed of. Fredrick Douglas would shake his head in disgust if he saw so many of us trying to blame everything on whites.

Still, I don’t think you white folks have it too bad either. A stereotypical commercial or two ain’t so bad compared to some of the shit we went through, which I doubt I need to even say.

In summation: shut up, honkey.

Posted by Drumwaster on 10/30/05 at 01:06 AM from United States

What the fuck do you mean “we’?

Oh, yeah, that’s right, your g’g’g’grandparents got owned, and hundreds of thousands of people died to change that, so we are not allowed to get annoyed over the fact that we are now the only “acceptable” minority. And that you are somehow “owed” something for that generations-old, long-settled issue.

I would have just ignored you as the obviously ignorant fuck that you are.

But then you had to go and start up with the racial comments.

If I were to say, “Kiss my ass, nigger!” in return, you wouldn’t even be allowed to accuse me of racism because to do so would confirm your own status as a racist AND a hypocrite. Fortunately for us both, I have more class than that, and will leave it with you being the only racist in the room.

In summation, we ended the Jim Crow laws almost 15 decades ago. It’s long past time to get rid of the Crow Jim laws. That’s YOUR job.

Posted by Lee on 10/30/05 at 01:17 AM from United States

Actually, complaining about the treatment of whites really wasn’t the point.  It was more a comment on the fact that corporations have to play these sort of stupid racial games.  If the boss was a white male (the most likely scenario on real life) and the doofus employee happened to be black or female, either Je$$e Jackson or NOW would launch a campaign against the business.  The only people in society who never complain about the way they are portrayed are white males, which is what makes us fair game in advertising.

Posted by bb on 10/30/05 at 01:41 AM from United States

Sort of on topic for this and the Bodle Cock entry…

Until a bit over a year ago, I lived in Oakland, CA.  Though most people associate Oakland with urban slums, there’s a fairly large part of Oakland that has historically been quite nice.  It’s also been quite white.  I used to live in the Montclair area of Oakland, which is in the hills that burned about 14 years ago.  The hills area is not only white, it’s VERY liberal.  It borders Berkeley and the political environment is similar.  That’s one of the reasons I moved.  But I read the local news now and then and this week brought out something that was a perfect example of the state of the nation and the liberal agenda.

While Oakland’s schools are generally awful, the hills schools are not that bad.  Recently, the Oakland city government changed the way that kids get into local schools and it had the effect of allowing kids from shitty schools going to the better schools in the hills.  Of course, another way to read this is that it allowed kids from schools with black majorities to go to the schools that the white kids go to.  What was the reaction from the liberal parents in the hills?  Did they welcome this development, as it helped to diversify their kids’ schools (and thus make them better, according to the liberal agenda)?

Uh, not quite....the white liberals in the hills are going ape shit over the prospect of black kids coming into their schools.  To wit…

Montclair parent David Sarber, who attended Thornhill Elementary, is concerned that if too many schoolchildren come from outside the area, he said it could lead to the erosion of community bonds of families who live in the neighborhood.
..."Free for all is not a good thing,” he said.

Ah, the hypocrisy of the left.  Diversity is so important it justifies reverse discrimination, unless of course your kid has to suffer for it.
click here for full story

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 06:46 AM from United States

That was one of the dumbest things I’ve ever…

Alright… who the fuck are you, and what have you done with The Contrarian!

Posted by Thrill on 10/30/05 at 08:19 AM from United States

Well, everyone else sees us white males as arrogant and owning everything.  It’s funny to women and minorities to get our ‘comeuppance’. It still doesn’t change the fact that we are smarter and do own everything.

Posted by The Contrarian on 10/30/05 at 09:53 AM from United States

I think a few of you guys missed my point.

By “we”, I mean blacks historically. Slavery, Jim Crow, lynching - whites never had such advantages. I did not mean to imply that

I

went through any of that stuff; I’m twenty years old, and my whole point in the preceding paragraph was that it’s stupid for blacks today to blame everything on white people.

Who cares about a stereotypical commercial or two? Shit, how do you think I feel every time I turn on MTV, or see D.L. Hughley acting like he speaks for all black people? Blacks get plenty of stereotypical portrayals in the media, as being “ghetto” or whatever, but I don’t complain about it.

I see Lee’s point about double standards, but that cuts both ways. You would be amazed at what some people in the black community say about any minority who isn’t a hard line democrat. That isn’t to say that Jesse Jackson is not an asshole. I just don’t think we should expect corporations not to play into stereotypes; that’s where the money is.

In general, I have about as much sympathy for blacks who complain about how unfair life is for them because of their skin color as I do for whites. Which is to say, basically none.

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 10:00 AM from Canada

I’ve know firefighters who say that women are expected to only do half of what a man does in order to qualify for being a firefighter.  If a man has to lift a 300lb hose, a woman only has to lift 150lb hose.  However, the woman demands equal pay and respect.  Military, policing, and other areas of the work force have done this to increase the number of women and minorities.  Lowering standards doesn’t make the organization any better and it only solidifies the idea that woman and other minorities aren’t as good as men.  However, social activists never see it this way.  It’s also ok to have women only clubs and businesses.  Such as Good Life fitness which has chains of women only clubs.  Years ago mens only clubs were shut down because of discrimination.

Thomas Sowell, Walter Williams, and other writers have written many arguments against this.  The best part is that Thomas and Walter are black MEN, not whiny little niggaz.

Posted by The Contrarian on 10/30/05 at 10:01 AM from United States

ahh, “quote” and “italic” aren’t the same thing. Hilarious.

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 10:40 AM from United States

This phenomenon is known as the “ubiquitous dopey white male syndrome” and is the favorite marketing tool of Madison Avenue. White men are routinely portrayed as inept dolts habitually cowtowing to authoritative women (and minorities), who, of course, all have their shit together.  This is not a recent trend.  Its been going on for years in the hope, presumably, of affecting the American conscious as to how “the other people” can (or should) rule the world.  Although, at times, it becomes tiresome, I find solace in the true natue of things: silly ad campaigns will not alter white men from ruling the civilized world.

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 10:53 AM from United States

White guys don’t piss or moan. We just buy really good firearms, lots of ammo, and wait for the shit to hit the fan.

Posted by Dave_Violence on 10/30/05 at 11:23 AM from United States

Why do any of you (us?) give a rat’s ass about what’s in a commercial? Or on TV in general?

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 11:54 AM from United States

How many sitcoms are there where the dad is the idiot of the family? How many are there where he’s not?

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 11:54 AM from United States

Nope, I wouldn’t be amazed at all.

Posted by HARLEY on 10/30/05 at 12:34 PM from United States

Why does this remind me of Burt Gummer?

Posted by HARLEY on 10/30/05 at 12:42 PM from United States

uh......
you got me gripeboy.

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 01:18 PM from United States

How many adds are out there with no male figure?

New add by a finance group shows a white male telling a blcak girl she can be a file clerk.
Next picture, black female (who had been a judge) tells her she can be an attorney.
She very well could be an attorney but who was giving her the message?

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 02:09 PM from United States

51 years on this planet and I’m discouraged to the point of giving up.  My dad spent a lot of those years teaching me that skin color didn’t matter. it was the person not the race that mattered.  His favorite boxer was Mohammed Ali, his best childhood friend was a black man named John who used to come visit.  I remember watching the “I have a dream” speech on the old black and white tv.  I remember my dad saying “someday none of this will not matter.  people will be people and thats all that will be important” The “Dream” is dead.  Blacks hate whites and nothing we do will change it.  All those years of struggle seem so fucking pointless now.

Posted by InsipiD on 10/30/05 at 02:26 PM from United States

So true and so sad.  You summed up the PC and 90’s+ affirmative action problems in one sentence.

The most effective dolt juxtaposition is the Home Depot ad where the woman is talking savvy about the tools with the helpful clerk while her husband tries to stick a plunger to his head.  If that were reversed, NOW would own Home Depot and give it to Planned Parenthood.

Posted by on 10/30/05 at 02:31 PM from United States

pardon my poor sentence structure and spelling errors

Posted by heavyrebel on 10/30/05 at 03:14 PM from United States

The corporate mindset goes even further along these lines than just commercials, and it’s not just white males in generals who are the ones that it is okay to ridicule.  Have you seen any Hollywood movies lately that feature Southern white males?  They are the Stepin Fetchits of the PC era and, interestingly, they’re almost always overplayed by non-Southern actors. “Forrest Gump”, anyone?

John Turturro in “Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?"--a Brooklyn actor (very good in many other roles) playing every scene as a complete dumbass hick who’s mouth hangs open in total stupefaction at all times.  Loveable dipshit hicks who can’t help how stupid they are, I guess?  Is that what Homer wrote? It’s what the Coen’s wrote cuz it’s easy. Charles Durning, in the same film, was the fat, pasty Southern swindler.  In fact, I think then whole film is chewing up the South for yuks, with barely a redeemable character in the cast.  If Hollywood’s Southerners are not stupid rednecks, or trying to swidle everyone, then they’re in the KKK, which is the just a combination of the previous two types with blind racism added in for flavor. My personal gripe was using Ralph Stanley’s haunting song in an attempted lynching scene that was played for laughs. Although there’s plenty to laugh at with the KKK, there’s nothing funny about a lynching, and nothing funny about that song.

Remember Spike Jonze in “Three Kings”?  Another token dumbass cracker role who has to fuck up to further the plot. The list goes on and on. If there’s a white Southern character in a film in the last twenty years, it’s probably the role of a completely despicable person like ‘Paris Trout’ (Dennis Hopper) or it’s played by actors that have absolutely no grasp of what they’re doing and no nuance to their characterizations.

This is not as across the board as I’m making it sounds, but if the role happens not to be a decent white Southerner, then invariably the actor just plays it badly.  Their accents tell on their lazy work habits quicker than anything else. Although she is usually a fine actress, Demi Moore gave horrid performance in “The Butcher’s Wife” (granted it was a bad movie, as well) where she played a person born and raised in the isolation of NC’s Outer Banks (a very unique regional accent)with a broad, generic, and wildly-fluctuating “Hollywood-Southern” accent that put her character as possibly originating anywhere from Ocala, Fl. to Atlanta, Ga. to Beaumont, Tx. to the Ozark Mountains.  Same thing happened in “Steel Magnolias”. All supposed to be from the same town, all had completely different accents.  Lazy directors, lazy actors.

----Somehow the British actors always nail the Southern accent better than non-Southern Americans. Liam Neeson was dead-on Appalachian in “Next of Kin”.  Viven Leigh and Leslie Howard (who was actually Hungarian) in “Gone with the Wind”.  Jean Simmons and Lesley-Anne Down of “North and South”. -----

While it is unquestionably acceptable in polite society to laugh at the dumbass “white guy” in a commercial or a joke or whatever (which is no problem for me)-- conversely (as Lee pointed out) it is almost a blacklisting offense to regard anyone else--any other group, race, minority, whatever--in the that light. Maybe it’s just what comes around.  My point is that it has moved beyond just commercials and jokes and in to mainstream (sometimes Ocsar-winning) films, and has been there for some time now.  White Southerners are generally portrayed as the dipshit, the fuck-up, the retard, or the virulent racist as a matter of course.

It’s the same way black characters in the films of the 20’s-50’s were all sage-old-fat mammies who looked after rich massa’s chillen and were good for someone’s rich massa’s white-daughter to cry to about her rich white-daughter problems, subservient dolts, or they were just uppity and threatening, dangerous animals who only wanted to kill whitey and rape his white-daughter, who ultimately “needed killin’”, and usually got it.

The color and background of the characters has changed, but not the purpose they serve as one-dimensional, stereotypical foils and jesters that we’re supposed to either fear, pity, or ridicule.  Maybe it’s just Southern Whitey’s turn in the spotlight of Hollywood’s shallowness.  I’m sensing a backlash coming to the whole PC thing anyway, so maybe everyone will be fair game before too long.  I know all “Arabic” types are feeling the heat lately.

Posted by on 10/31/05 at 11:30 AM from United States

Well said, heavyrebel.  Well said.

Posted by on 10/31/05 at 02:14 PM from United States

Heaveyrebel and insipiD make an excellent point, and the Home Depot commercial, while it is a little entertaining, is a textbook perfect example of dopey white man syndrome on network TV and commercials. And they wonder why viewership is sinking so badly, especially among younger males.

I notice this shit while watching TV at night with my wife and bore her to tears when I bitch about it, but I’m glad to know so many other people feel the same way.

Next entry: Three Heads