Freedom of Press is limited to those who own one - H.L. Mencken

Hux

You’ll have to excuse me if my blogging isn’t up to snuff the next few days.  My cat died this morning.

image

Update: Thanks to all of your who have expressed sympathy.  I’m doing fine.  He was sick for some time, so I’d resigned myself to this.  And my daughter is taking good care of me.  I went out to his little grave at sunset last night and had a beer with him.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/20/08 at 05:23 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 06:45 AM from United States

Hey Mike,

I’m sorry to hear about Huxley. You have my sympathies.

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 06:53 AM from United States

Hal, I am so sorry to hear that.  Mine disappeared a month ago without a trace during a particularly chaotic time.  He was 11 years old, just like yours.  He had a bladder problem and I wonder if he got out and died somewhere.

My son’s sixth birthday was yesterday and we took him to the shelter and he picked out a new kitten.  The feisty little guy is sitting here purring as I write this.  He will be my son’s cat, but I am glad he is here.

You are in my thoughts :) ...

Posted by Lee on 10/20/08 at 06:57 AM from China

That sucks, Hal.  I remember when our dog died, I cried like a baby for three days.

Posted by josparke on 10/20/08 at 07:35 AM from United States

Sorry Hal, I recently lost my own cat of 14 years and you really miss them :(

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 08:03 AM from United States

My condolences Mike.  As people told me recently when I had to put down my 14 year old German Shepherd (changed slightly), “Remember what a good life you gave Huxley.”

Posted by Santino on 10/20/08 at 08:24 AM from Canada

I haven’t had a cat for years, but I certainly remember the sadness I felt after they passed.  I’m sorry for your loss.

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 08:46 AM from United States

Sorry to hear it. :( A lot of people I know don’t understand how pets are such an important part of the family. I’m sorry for your loss. I know that when my Frankie dies I’m going to be a freakin’ wreck.

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 09:44 AM from United States

I’m sorry for your loss, Hal.  This past year my family lost our beloved dog Misha.  I still tear up sometimes when I think of her and how much I miss her.  It’s amazing how important our pets are to us.

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 09:51 AM from United States

I am sorry for your loss, Hal.

My wife and I have a buff tabby, and we already know that when his time comes, it will be a period of darkness for both of us.

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 10:09 AM from United States

Sorry buddy.  My thoughts are with you.

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 02:46 PM from United States

I hope it was a mericiful passing. I reccommend “A Cat Named Darwin” by Charles Jordan as bridge over the uncertain terrain that grief presents.  It will appeal to the scientist and philospher in you as well as touch your heart.  I recently lost by big ole dog of a cat, Teddy and know what you are feeling today.  Share your stories and memories with your friends and family over the coming days as a way of weaving the tears and laughter together.  I’d love for you to tell us something special about your cat now and let us share a thread about our remembered animals.

Posted by Ed Kline on 10/20/08 at 02:56 PM from United States

or, you know, buy another cat…

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 03:15 PM from United States

Sorry to read about your Cat, Hal.  Take your time and come back strong..in this crazy former Dems. opion, you are the best writer on this site.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 10/20/08 at 03:32 PM from United States

One of my cats passed away recently, she was 18 years old. My other cat still looks around for her at times and starts yowling in the places they used to share :(

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 03:36 PM from United States

Jeez Hal, I’m crying just reading about it.  I’m very sorry for your loss. I’ve buried too many cats in my life, but I’ll keep getting new ones.  Hope that things come out for the better, like a new cat to love.

Posted by Miguelito on 10/20/08 at 03:46 PM from United States

WVR, did the cat still around get to see the other one go?  I’d read it a bunch of times, but until I saw it, I wasn’t sure it was real.. but it does seem to help dogs and cats to see the other one after it dies, in order to move on quickly.

We usually had 2 dogs growing up, and when our golden died when I was younger, the other dog we had looked for her for months it seemed.. she was home when the golden was taken in and had to be put to sleep.  It happened again later when the younger dog they had gotten after the golden die, ended up dying early from cancer.

A couple years ago when my parent’s one dog (the same one that kept looking around twice years before) died, they did it at home (there are more vets that will do house calls now, and it was a long time in coming) and their current dog sniffed her, and seemed to accept it.  That dog never went around looking for her the way the other two had done years before.

If only it were that easy for the people involved. :-/
I know I’ll cry like a little kid when my dog dies.

Posted by InsipiD on 10/20/08 at 03:56 PM from United States

It’s a sad thing, man.  Sorry to hear it.  In many ways, you’re closer to pets than people.  A pet can keep a secret like no other.

The worst thing is when someone you’re around at work or something doesn’t get it, and acts like you’ve got no reason to be sad.  That happened the last time a pet died in my household, and I ended up yelling at the guy.  It’s like the time that the tree fell on the house and another guy at work couldn’t understand why that bothered me.  Some people just don’t get why pets (or anything for that matter) could harm your concentration at work.  I even had a friend who was a dick to me after my grandmother died.  I no longer speak to him.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 10/20/08 at 04:22 PM from United States

Migeulito: No, we just had to take her to the vet because she was much worse off (kidney failure, etc).

Also, it may be a sad thing, but if you have kids and an elderly pet, it can be a good way to teach the kids about mortality in a way that won’t necessarily scare them, that it’s natural and won’t have to happen for a long time…

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 04:52 PM from United States

My condolences, man.  That sucks.

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 06:57 PM from United States

Sorry to hear, Hal. Losing a pet sucks.

I had just started my sophomore year at college when the Golden I grew up with died. I called home and asked the usual “How’s Chelsea doing?” and when my mom paused and didn’t answer, I knew she was gone. It was awful, even though she had a very long life (she was well at the tail end of a Golden’s lifespan.)

My mom is convinced my dog somehow willed herself to stick around as long as her body would allow. My dad died right before the start of my senior year of high school, so that was a little less than 3 years before my dog died. My mom was obviously a wreck for a while after that, and when I left for college the empty house really got to her. Whatever it was, my dog really helped my mom adjust during that time.

Posted by on 10/20/08 at 07:14 PM from United States

Very sorry to hear that, Hal.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Posted by Poosh on 10/20/08 at 07:29 PM from United Kingdom

Sorry to hear about that. I hope you’re ok.

Posted by CaptCBleu on 10/20/08 at 10:42 PM from United States

I am sorry for your loss hal, for as many pets (and friends as well) I have lost, it still tears me apart when I (for a lack of better word) lose them. It is a part of my life that I will never have again. I have two cats now and I know will be gone in the short time we have together. I try to handle death stoicly, but after while the rush of feelings eventually overwhelms me and brings me to my knees.

I cherish the times and memories that I have had with those that I have loved and hope to make anew with those that I meet now and in the future. I hope that you experience the same Hal.

Evan.

Posted by HARLEY on 10/21/08 at 04:38 AM from United States

sorry for you loss man.....

Next entry: The Next In Line