You will never live if you are looking for the meaning of life - Albert Camus

It’s All About the Judges

One of the last arguments being pulled out in support of McCain is that “it’s all about the judges”.  Obama, apparently, is going to appoint a bunch of radical leftists to the Court who will overturn our entire Constitution.

That may be.  I somehow doubt he’s going to appoint anyone really radical.  My feeling is that his appointees would be more along the lines of Stevens—liberal but not crazy.  But even if he does appoint Bill Ayers or something, here is the current age distribution of the Court against ideology:

Conservative—Roberts (53), Scalia (72), Thomas (60), Alito (58)
Moderate - Kennedy (72)
Liberal - Stevens (88), Souter (69), Ginsberg (75), Breyer (70)

The two oldest judges on the court are liberals (and Ginsberg, in particular, is looking frail).  The three youngest judges are conservative.  The average conservative age is 60.8; the average liberal age is 75.5.  Even if Obama is in for eight years, he is most likely to replace two liberal judges on the Court.  And even if one of the conservatives were to be in a tragic blimp accident, that would shift the court to being as radically crazy liberal as it was during the Rhenquist years.

The idea that Obama is going to leave us with a Burger-style radical liberal Court is frankly hyperbolic.  Unless the entire Court is wiped out during a meth-fueled orgy, Obama will, at most, shift the court somewhat to the left.  True, the Court won’t become more conservative.  But considering how conservative is defined these days—a unitary executive, untrammeled federal power, the suspension of habeas—that’s fine with me.

This is one meme I have grown increasingly tired of.  Every election, we are told that the other guy is going to appoint Satan to the Supreme Court.  We are going to lose abortion freedom, lose free speech, be imprisoned in gulags, have our guns taken away, allow terrorists to walk the streets and set all the murderers loose from prison.  I’m sick of it.  I’m probably not going to be happy with the judges Obama will appoint.  But it’s not going to be the end of the world.

Calm the fuck down, people.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/31/08 at 08:56 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 10/31/08 at 11:23 AM from United States

Unless the entire Court is wiped out during a meth-fueled orgy...

Eeeewwwwww!!!!!  Yuck!!!

Posted by InsipiD on 10/31/08 at 11:50 AM from United States

Calm the fuck down, people.

Don’t.  Don’t assume that Obama would be as do-nothing as Clinton.  If you need motivation to vote or to get your friends to, this is worth it.  I’m not going to kill myself on election day or anything, but it’s important to know and understand what could happen.

Posted by on 10/31/08 at 11:57 AM from United States

Unless the entire Court is wiped out during a meth-fueled orgy

No cameras and no lights, please.  Somethings can’t be unseen.

Yuck!!! indeed....

Posted by HARLEY on 10/31/08 at 12:30 PM from United States

KELO revisited 2nd A, revisited, what else??  they could easily reinterpret any ruling. and bend our asses over a table.
teh 2nd A is VERY big with me, wonder why, i got several Thousand $$ worth of ARMS.
I REALLY REALLY do not want to be SCREAMING Molon Labe across the street to the FED/BATF/OBAMMA CORPS SWAT TEAMS.

Posted by on 10/31/08 at 01:43 PM from United States

It REALLY REALLY wont happen.  No matter who wins.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/31/08 at 02:57 PM from United States

Harley, I’m a huge proponent of the second Amendment.  I was overjoyed with the Heller decision.  But the justices who voted in favor of Heller are much younger than the ones who voted against it.  I think it’s highly unlikely to be overturned, just as Roe has stayed intact despite 7/9 justices on the court being republican appointees.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 10/31/08 at 02:58 PM from United States

I’m not saying the idea of Obama appointees doesn’t unnever me.  The idea of a Ginsberg-esque judge sitting there for the next 20 years depresses me, especially if he were to replace Scalia or somebody.  But I think the “Agh! The sky is falling!” rhetoric is a bit muh.

Posted by HARLEY on 10/31/08 at 03:00 PM from United States

Now i know i sound like a fucking lunatic, but ,Heller didnt go far enough and is vague enough to allow a gov body to regulate as they see fit.

Posted by Ed Kline on 10/31/08 at 08:16 PM from United States