The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it - Henry David Thoreau

It’s donatin’ time
by JimK

(This post will stay sticky for a week, please scroll down for new posts)

I’m afraid it’s that time again...time for a server drive. With Lee’s passing, the entire cost of the server is now on my shoulders, and times - as they are for everyone I’m sure - are tight.  Blogads are a thin trickle these days, not nearly enough to pay for the server.  And so I’m coming to all of you hat in hand.  If you find any value in any of the sites I host, please consider a small donation. Every penny will go directly to the cost of paying for the $250 a month this machine and the associated bandwidth costs me.

We host the following blogs:

Right Thinking
Right Thoughts
Made of Awesome
Wasting Time WIth Alex
Moorewatch
The Victorious Opposition

So if you are a fan of any of these sites, consider sending maybe the cost of a beer or two. The cost of a couple of beers, when multipled by a group of you, could keep us going for months. Unfortunately we only have Paypal as a donation solution, since Amazon closed their donation/payment program. Hopefully that’s okay for most people.

I wish there was a way to express to all of you how little I like doing this.  Some day I will either be rich or Supreme Ruler of the Universe and then I’ll host everyone’s websites for free. :)

Posted by JimK on 05/30/09 at 05:21 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Para on 05/30/09 at 06:16 PM from Germany

Done and Done

Posted by AlexinCT on 05/30/09 at 09:02 PM from United States

Same.

Posted by Sean Galbraith on 05/30/09 at 09:35 PM from Germany

What? Can’t you get a federal bailout?

Posted by Manwhore on 05/31/09 at 05:26 PM from Germany

You can post this at the VO as well, if you would like.

Posted by Tetzman on 06/01/09 at 05:33 PM from United States

Jim Please Email me! I’d rather make a hardware donation to the cause…

Posted by on 06/01/09 at 07:38 PM from Germany

Thx Jim - done.

Posted by HARLEY on 06/02/09 at 05:02 AM from United States

Jim, Email me, im gonna have to snail mail it to ya.

Posted by on 06/02/09 at 11:21 AM from United States

Done.  That should get you a whole 6 pack.  ;)

Posted by Miguelito on 06/02/09 at 10:00 PM from United States

How hard is it to setup a subscription for things like this.. if anyone knows off the top of their head?

If a bunch of us did something small like $5/month that we’d barely notice, it’d add up and help keep the sites that a lot of us read pretty regularly going.  Depending on the number of people, maybe even less would be enough.

I try to support some of the regular online comics I read regularly by buying T Shirts and books and stuff, I can see helping out here more then just the occasional drive.  Unless it’s only once in awhile the costs add up or something.

Posted by JimK on 06/02/09 at 11:00 PM from United States

Miguelito, I’ve often thought of that. Anything under $5 is usually considered throwaway according to experts...so I was thinking of offering like, $3 monthly subscriptions via PayPal. No one would likely miss three bucks, but add that up times 84 people and BAM server is paid in full.

Anyone else think it could fly?

Posted by on 06/03/09 at 09:45 AM from United States

I don’t see anything particularly wrong with this, although there is a question of incentive to consider in such a scenario.  As a poster on the board, I don’t have a problem with a monthly subscription setup for myself because I have an intellectually invested stake in the success of the site.  For our commenters, however, they might need extra motivation to do so, even if it is only $3-5 a month.

Just something to consider.  The commenters here may have a different take on this.

Posted by on 06/04/09 at 10:05 AM from United States

Jim why don’t you hit Michael Moore up for a loan. After all he’s got form in bailing you out of financial problems and it’s not like you’ll feel the need to pay him back or anything.

Posted by on 06/04/09 at 10:42 AM from United States

There’s always gotta be at least one.

Posted by on 06/05/09 at 10:16 AM from United States

Let’s take a look at that asinine statement and see how on many levels it’s wrong.

1) Moore could easily be seen as having helped out Jim as an underhanded political move

2) Despite being lying waste of time, Moore may well have some small trace of decency and truly wanted to help out someone in need - gifts should be taken in the spirit in which they are given

3) Asking someone to compromise their integrity and morals out of guilt is despicable

4) In general, the snide tone of the post deserves a severe beating with a rubber hose

I have kicked in any money to the fund yet, but now that my books have been done for the month I’ll take care of that…

Posted by on 06/07/09 at 08:01 AM from Germany

Listen, is there any way I can donate without using paypal?

Can I just put a bundle of cash in an envelope and post away?

Posted by on 06/07/09 at 01:52 PM from Germany

Can I just put a bundle of cash in an envelope and post away?

Are you trying to tip your mailman?  Cash in the mail is stolen so often by postal employees it’s scary…

Posted by JimK on 06/07/09 at 03:36 PM from United States

Listen, is there any way I can donate without using paypal?

Can I just put a bundle of cash in an envelope and post away?

Like SO said, I mean if you wanna tip the mailman…

Email me, I’ll shoot you a snail mail address so you can send a money order or stuff some cash in a shitty book you were gonna throw away or something. :)

Posted by on 06/08/09 at 08:09 AM from United Kingdom

Hurrah - turns out this time I can do it from a UK account.....

Some shiny dollars winging their way over to ya.

Posted by on 06/08/09 at 03:56 PM from United States

Just for the sake of curiosity, how large is the typical donation?

Posted by on 06/09/09 at 08:22 AM from Germany

JimK, after a very solid two and a half minute detailed and very refined search, I can’t find a link to your e-mail address? Can you put one up here, or click on stogy and send me a quick mail.

Or I could always put the cash in an envelope unaddressed and just rely on faith…

Posted by JimK on 06/09/09 at 12:04 PM from United States

stogy, good point, I need to make that email more accessible.

In the mean time, I am: stark23x at gmail dot com.