The Government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them. - Mark Twain

Michele, My Dumb Belle

I know I tend to oscillate on the issue of “purging” the GOP.  But that’s because I’m still thinking through where we need to go now that conservatism is in ruins as a political force.  Can we rebuild a big tent with the Religious Right and the big-government neocons?  Or is it time to smash everything to the ground and rebuild from scratch?

Up until recently, I favored the latter.  This was especially true because the “purges” were aimed at “RINOs” like John McCain—one of the few real conservatives in the Senate.  The big-government Religious Right didn’t want me and I didn’t want them.

But the game has changed over the last few months.  The Obama presidency—or more precisely, the unfettered Democratic Congress—is turning out worse than I’d thought.  For the moment, I’ll take votes against $17 trillion in debt from anyone.  That doesn’t mean I’m not going to punch when someone defends Bush’s record or unfairly attacks Obama or says something stupid (as you’ll see below).  But in purely practical terms, we need votes—even from the shitheads.

(I’ve been turning against “purges” for another reason.  I’ve realized that the biggest problem with the GOP over the last eight years had not been RINOs or the Religious Right, but leadership.  Reagan was able to get a conservative agenda through a mostly Democratic Congress.  He did this by controlling his own party and compromising with the Democrats without surrendering his principles.  Gingrich and Clinton were able to control spending with the same Congress that later went off the fiscal rails.  They did this through compromise and through Gingrich controlling his own party. A well-lead GOP could effectively oppose Obama’s worst policies, even with that asshole Arlen Specter as their 41st vote.  In the end, most politicians will follow any agenda as long as they can get re-elected.  The exact same Congress that went on a Bush-lead spending binge could have reigned in spending just as effectively.  But their leaders were uninterested, even after the 2006 thumping.  I’m still not convinced that their opposition to Obama is anything but pig-headed partisanship. But, at this stage, I’ll take what I can get.)

On the other hand ...

There are the occasional GOPers that I wouldn’t mind seeing on the next rocket to Pluto.  It’s not they are RINOs or that I’d rather have Democrats in their place.  It’s that any time they open their mouth, I want to hide under a table.  Rick Santorum was one.  Taking his place is House Court Jester and hand-picked crony of James Dobson, Michele Bachmann.  When not trying to figure out who is anti-American and who isn’t, she’s saying the dumbest things imaginable.  Here she is, telling us the global warming is fake because CO2 is natural.

Um, Michele?  Arsenic is natural too.  So is sulphur dioxide, sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid and blowfish poison.  In fact, water is about as natural as you can get, but thousands of people still drown in it.  There are many argument against global warming (and many more against liberal solutions to it), but “God made CO2” isn’t one of them.

Then there’s her latest and greatest—blaming Democrats for swine flu.  Because, you see, the last time Swine flu broke out was in 1976 when that famous Democrat—Gerald Fucking Ford—was President.  And since Obama is now President ... well, something.

I don’t want her purged from the GOP.  As repugnant as she is, we need her votes on certain issues.  But could someone please just stuff her into a closet and only let her out when we need a vote on something?  Every time she speaks, I can feel the GOP losing support in other states.

And will the residents of Minnesota please replace her in the next primary with someone less insane?  You fucking owe us, Minnesotans.  You’ve just about inflicted Al Franken on us.  You could easily find someone in her district with the same voting record and only 20% of the insanity.

Update: Today seems to be “Bash a Bachmann” day on the internet.  She was also denouncing FDR for the “Hoot-Smalley” tarriff act.  The real pain the ass?  She’s actually right.  Harding (not Coolidge) did respond successfully to a much sharper recession by rolling back government.  And Hoover’s (not FDR’s) Smoot-Hawley act was one of the most economically disastrous moves in American history.  But that salient point will be ignored by her mangling of history, reality and the English language.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/30/09 at 08:22 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Sean Galbraith on 04/30/09 at 10:49 AM from Canada

Fucking batshit insane.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 12:13 PM from United States

Except for one small problem Hal, those don’t get dumped in the atmosphere in massive quantities from purely natural forces, CO2 does. Where are the trees that breath in Arsenic, or the animals that exhale sulfuric acid? Do Volcanoes pour millions of tons of blowfish poison into to the atmosphere everyday?

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 12:41 PM from United States

Another good post, Hal.

Though, the GOP would have to literally change about 95% of everything it currently does for me to support it again.

The democrat party is even worse.

I simply cannot cast another “lesser of two evils” vote.  In fact I chose not to in 2008.  I cast my vote for Barr—and pleasantly so.

I would suggest, perhaps, even the Libertarian Party as a viable third option; alas, I can offer no such thing as this Libertarian Party is not truly in accordance with the fundamentals of the traditional libertarian philosophy as founded by the likes of Rothbard and Rand.

So...I guess that leaves me personally to remain a man without a political faction or party.  Instead I have an ideal and an ideology to follow.

Frankly, I’d love to see the GOP emerge as a libertarian-based party; however, I just do not see it happening.  In my humble opinion, Ron Paul should be the standard.  But that’s coming from a libertarian philosophy.

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 01:11 PM from United States

Nice little update, Hal.

You are correct in asserting that it was not FDR that was responsible for that deplorable tariff.  It was in fact Hoover.  This woman is just an idiot.  I suppose she does make a good point by explaining the recession that no one remembers.  Yes, it is absolutely true that government intervention elongates and worsens recessions.

It really is quite amazing that FDR is viewed in such positive light.

Let’s look back…

FDR ousts Hoover from office by condemning him for intervening too much into the economy.  Once into office, FDR expands upon Hoover’s policies tenfold, at least.  FDR would have done more, but much of his policy proposals were highly unconstitutional.  Still, FDR loaded the Supreme Court and was able to get many of his proposals through.

It is also a common fallacy that WWII was what allowed the US economy to emerge from the Great Depression.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  It was not until the war ended—and government spending dropped by 2/3 while taxation dropped simultaneously—that the economy begin a robust recovery.

Nevertheless, I guess, at least, while Bachmann may be an utter simpleton, and more than likely a statist, she is going in the right direction here...I think.

I digress.

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 02:12 PM from United States

HAL is still on the AlGore “global warming” train, so give him a few years to come around to reality on this topic....

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/30/09 at 04:08 PM from United States

Dirk, volcanos do spew sulphur dioxide into the atmosphere, which is why I picked it as one of my elements.

Posted by on 04/30/09 at 08:46 PM from United States

That’s specious reasoning, she is not arguing against SO2 emissions standards but CO2. CO2 is an element that is NATURALLY poured into the atmosphere at a far greater rate and comprises a far larger portion of that than SO2. They aren’t on fair terms, and none of the examples you cited were either. I don’t think it is the strongest argument against cap and trade or global warming nonsense but I don’t think she is entirely off base.

Next entry: Captain Trips Reax