I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them - Isaac Asimov

Must-Screen TV

I’m posting this video that McArdle blogged on.  Like her, I want to see the missing video and hear TSA’s side.  There’s no audio, so we only have the narrator’s commentary to go on.  There a few things that look odd to me and make me doubt that we’re reading the entire story.  Nevertheless, it’s hard to find a reason TSA would put someone in the screening both for so long.  And they do have a history of forgetting their own rules and making it up as they go.

I will say that I have only once had a real problem with TSA and that involved my mother-in-law’s wheelchair.  We’ve gone through with breast milk, medical syringes, multiple laptops and roughly 8,423 tons of baby crap without a problem.  Maybe these are “isolated incidents”.  But it seems that TSA has little accountability right now.  And that is sure to only go down once they are unionized.

I post this mostly to make a prediction.  Very soon, TSA is going to announce that cameras can not be used near security gates and that their own videos can not be requested.  They will site reasons of national security, claiming terrorists could learn how to evade our screening techniques.  But the real reason is that they can not maintain the farce when videos showing their incompetence are leaking out.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 11/27/10 at 06:53 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 11/28/10 at 09:52 AM from United States

Where the hell’s the baby all this time? I suspect this woman was partly responsible for making her own problems. Just put the god damn breast mild through the scanners… it will be nice and sterile and even warmed up for the little feller. Some fights ain’t worth picking as the 100+ passengers that went by with out a problem can show.  I do have to wonder if there is an undercurrent of union busting to all this.

Posted by on 11/28/10 at 10:28 AM from Germany

I’m looking forward to hearing you report back about how the body cavity search you were forced to submit to was not only routine and not out of line, but also found your brain.

I do have to wonder if there is an undercurrent of union busting to all this

The TSA isn’t union yet, so your comment is rather stupid.

it will be nice and sterile and even warmed up for the little feller

Your stupid knows no limits....

Posted by InsipiD on 11/28/10 at 11:16 AM from United States

it will be nice and sterile and even warmed up for the little feller.

Even you couldn’t believe your shit.

Posted by on 11/28/10 at 11:19 AM from United States

If (when) such a policy is instituted, it will be to shield the screeners from the backlash over giving a bunch of sullen, bitter misanthropes the ability to fuck with people on a whim like the woman in the video.

These policies are essentially a form of low-grade martial law--the argument being that any means of execution is justified so long as it insures the “safety” of society.  No one defending these policies really seems to be able to intelligently answer the question as to where exactly the line should be drawn, when the obvious answer is that they’ll put up with any form of indignity as long as “the correct people” are in charge.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 11/28/10 at 12:56 PM from United States

Where the hell’s the baby all this time?

If you watch the video, it states that she is returning home to her baby. I’ve known women to do this when their baby is about 6-months.  Build up a supply of breast milk to last a day or so, go on a 1-day business trip. Pump on the trip and bring back more milk. Return to normal.  I don’t know that this is what happened, but it’s what the video claims.  Which you’d know if you ever bothered to get any facts before you comment.

I actually think that sending milk through the X-ray is harmless. We did that when traveling with ours and she has to grow a second head or develop superpowers.  However, the fact is that people can ask for alternative screening for milk. Not only did the TSA not obey their own rules, the video claims they specifically targeted her because she previously embarassed them by throwing their own rules in their faces.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 11/28/10 at 12:58 PM from United States

Bingo.

Posted by on 11/28/10 at 02:35 PM from Germany

Next up, UFIA....

Posted by on 11/28/10 at 07:49 PM from United States

This is a little silly, but fact is if there was something in that bottle and she blew up the airplane, it would be why didn’t they stop this?
It’s a damned if you do damned if you don’t scenario. Is the arrogance and abuse an issue, yes, but let’s consider the fact that airport safety is like the budget when it comes to most Americans, which is we want 100% without any side effects.

It would be interesting if this all went down when Bush was president though. I bet all those honest leftists that used to post here would be appalled by this. Funny they aren’t outraged now, but that’s the difference between believing in integrity and being a hack which there were many here masquerading as honest leftists. Of course they all disappeared once they realized this wouldn’t turn into the Rush is a meanie blog after the big Messiah got elected.

I’m just interested if Fatima could go right through with that milk and no one would question it because we might be criticized for the racist horrible country that we are.

Posted by on 11/28/10 at 08:08 PM from United States

It’s a damned if you do damned if you don’t scenario.

Not exactly.  The issue is that the TSA’s own rules stipulate that you can receive an alternate screening method for medical liquids, and, also according to the TSA’s own rules, breast milk qualifies as a medical liquid.

But the TSA wouldn’t have their noses rubbed in their own rules, so they put the uppity bitch in a glass cage for public display/humiliation while she missed her flight.  Sort of a modern-day stocks.

IOW, they put that uppity bitch in her place for daring to make a request that the TSA couldn’t or wouldn’t handle, said request complying with their own fucking rules.

Bitch.

What we have here is another IRS, a Federal thug organization that has it’s own set of rules which it may or may not adhere to, and apparently has a license to fuck with anyone they wanna fuck with, with no accountability.

And liberals have a raging hard-on over this.

And, for the love of Marx, do NOT try and tell me that this bullshit dog and pony show makes us safer.  Have some self-respect, FFS.

Posted by on 11/28/10 at 08:28 PM from United States

To my knowledge (and I’ve been looking) there hasn’t been any muslin women hassled at any airport yet.

These policies are essentially a form of low-grade martial law

Indeed

Posted by on 11/28/10 at 10:57 PM from Australia

Well bugger me. I agree, completely and one hundred percent, with Iconoclast.

Posted by on 11/29/10 at 08:26 AM from United States

It may or may not, but I can guarantee you that if someone gets on a plane and blows it up, everyone that’s bitching about this security now will ask why was someone able to get on and through such soft security, hence the damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Personally, I think we need to quit focusing on nation building and focus more on just merciless destruction of any group or its backers when they attempt to carry out these attacks. Send a message to the enemy and supporting countries if any, and not its victims, but the fact remains that as soon as they succeed, and they probably will again someday, the question for most will be why wasn’t security tight enough? Is it stupid question? Well perhaps it is, but that very question will be the end result, so I can sympathize with the tighter security, although I don’t sympathize with the abuse.

Posted by Ed Kline on 11/29/10 at 01:23 PM from United States

This is not going to fix itself till the airlines start losing gobs of money because a lot less people are flying.

Posted by on 11/29/10 at 02:23 PM from United States

I still ain’t buying it.  While I cannot “guarantee” anything, I will submit that “if someone gets on a plane and blows it up”, it won’t be a twenty-something housewife smuggling in explosives under the guise of breast milk, in all likelihood. No, I suspect that it will (again) be some male named Abdul Achmet Kalid Whateverthefuck, who, also in all likelihood, will have boarded a dozen flights previously, scoping things out, with nary a side glance from the TSA pussies.

That’s the problem, chief.  This song and dance ain’t about our safety, it’s merely showing the world how fucking PC we are.

At least, that’s how it appears to me, and like Bill O’Rielly often says, I Could Be Wrong.

But I doubt it.

Posted by on 11/29/10 at 06:11 PM from United States

I think it is also about the appearance of safety.  Because there is no way to actually prevent all terrorist acts, there needs to be a bit of theater to convince everyone that flying is safe-even if it doesn’t do any good.  For this purpose, less effective but more intrusive screening actually works better ("Jesus, honey, this must be a safe flight, that guy just checked my ass and ball sack for explosives")

Posted by on 11/30/10 at 02:04 AM from United States

Jerry Pournelle’s Iron Law of Bureaucracy in action.

Next entry: Wikileaks Strikes Again

Previous entry: GM thanks you!