I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them - Isaac Asimov

No Snow

There’ll be no Snow in Washington this Christmas.

Tony Snow, the highly visible White House press secretary, will leave his job on Sept. 14 and be replaced by his deputy, Dana Perino, an administration official said Friday.

President Bush was to announce the changes during an appearance in the White House briefing room.

Snow, ailing with cancer, had said recently he would leave before the end of Bush’s presidency because he needs to make more money.

Oh, all he has to do is write a book.  He’ll get a nice advance, and his money problems will be solved.  Not to mention that he’ll have a continual career as a professional pundit, talking head, and Bush defender.

Posted by Lee on 08/31/07 at 10:24 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 11:28 AM from United States

Have you seen Tony lately?  He looks quite ill.  Nice of you to make fun of the guy, Lee.  Hey!  Maybe he believes in God and baby Jesus, too?  Even more grist for your mockery mill.

Posted by Lee on 08/31/07 at 11:31 AM from United States

Where did I make fun of him?  I said he was leaving.  I said that his money problems will be solved by writing a book, and he’ll have a great career as a mainstay on the talk show circuit.

Where did I make fun of him?  Seriously, detail for me the specific insult I hurled.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 08/31/07 at 11:57 AM from United States

I wonder if Tony had a “brownie moment”.

Still one of my favorite Lee-isms.

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 12:01 PM from United States

So sensitive!

And even if he had made fun of him, aside from joking about his cancer, what would be the problem? People get stricken with disease and suddenly they’re beyond reproach? Gimme a break.

Tony Snow’s illness has nothing to do with his political ideology or his seemingly endless defense of Bush. And for the record, I kinda like they guy despite him being a mouth piece for liars.

Posted by Akula on 08/31/07 at 12:25 PM from United States

I wonder if Dana Perrino is any good looking.

Because WH press conferences have been boring as fuck .

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 12:48 PM from United States

A tounge-in-cheek barb about him following the usual ex-politico course of action of writing a book about your “inside” experiences to make a quick buck is not making fun of him?  What is it then?  Look, the guys got a lot worse problems than money, I would be right now.....

Sorry if you did not mean to make fun of him, but I thought your post came off as awfully insensitive.  Tony was a writer who was synticated here in Detroit for years before moving on to Washinton and I have always liked him.

Also, Gripe:  Why does he deserved “reproach” when he hasn’t even written his book to make the quick buck yet?

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 01:06 PM from United States

I read Lee’s comments to be cynical and sarcastic, not straight jesting and surely not aimed at his illness. But, you took issue with them and I’m merely pointing out that his illness does not preclude us from questioning professional choices or levying criticism.

Posted by Lee on 08/31/07 at 01:10 PM from United States

Ummm, how about “What every ex-politico in history has done.” Everyone writes memoirs, and they all get book deals.  Go down to your local Barnes & Noble, and look at how many ex Bush administration types have written books.  Look how many books have been written about them.  There’s big money in political books, especially if they dish out the dirt on someone.  And when you have an administration as controversial as this one, I’m sure Snow will have no problem finding a publishing house (either Regnery or Crown Books, I’d bet) which will give him a nice advance of a few hundred thousand dollars, after which he’ll get back into television journalism or some other high-paying job.

Honestly, how you took what I wrote as an insult is absolutely beyond me.

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 01:19 PM from United States

It’s really just par for the course. Expect an assload of books after 1/20/09.

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 01:43 PM from United States

Expect an assload of books painting the entire GOP in a bad light come next summer.

I’m thinking of breaking my decade of independent voting and registering Republican so I can’t vote for Ron Paul. I will of course, immediately suspend that registration after the primary.

The GOP is going to lose anyway so I might as well slip in a vote for someone who most represents my political ideology. After that we can get on to deciding between a douche and a side of turd slaw.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 08/31/07 at 03:47 PM from United States

Speaking of asses.

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 05:15 PM from United States

The real shame is our last paragraph is usually true.  Good one.

Posted by ? on 09/01/07 at 04:44 PM from United States

HI Lee,

I really think snow’s stepping down has more to do with his health situation.  As you recall, he had surgery and was found have a metastatic colon ca in his liver and underwent Chemo.  He is likely the only one on sinking ship Bush who really does have a good reason to spend more time with this family.

david

Posted by HARLEY on 09/01/07 at 05:19 PM from United States

Posted by GripeBoy on 08/31/07 at 01:19 PM from United States

It’s really just par for the course. Expect an assload of books after 1/20/09.

hump!
in 10 15 years i bet there will be a good number detailing what went on behind the scene, and not just the bad hankypanky, but shit we never heard about, and would have changed our minds about a few situations both positive and negative.

Posted by Ed Kline on 09/02/07 at 01:48 PM from United States

He deserves reproach for the taking and doing the job he just resigned from.