Freedom of Press is limited to those who own one - H.L. Mencken

Oh, The Humanity

On the heels of Hal’s post (see below) I’ve decided to add my own category: the Golden Drumstick awards. Why drumsticks? As any turkey eater knows, they are often the best part of the bird, especially with gravy. The Golden Drumstick is to be given to those individuals, places, or things that made the most positive contribution to society this year. Like the Golden Turkey, it doesn’t have to be political.

My nominations:

Arnold Schwarzenegger He’s made mistakes, but he’s stood his ground and is that rare breed-an independent Republican and a Republican incumbent who’s actually popular.

Ron Paul Love him or hate him, you can’t ignore him. He has shaken up the GOP race to the point where Bush Republicans wish he would go away, while actual, conservative Republicans are asking, “Why aren’t any of the other candidates saying at least some of what he says?”

Barack Obama The silver-tongued Senator from Illinois represents the first real generational battle we have seen in politics in a long time. And he has a sincerity factor, whether real or not, that Hillary could never match.

General Petraeus The thinking man’s general seems to have turned Iraq around with his surge strategy and with some out-of-the-box thinking. You know things are getting better in Iraq when the MSM won’t talk about it.

King Juan Carlos of Spain Finally, a leader who had the guts to say to Hugo Chavez what many of us have been wanting to say for a long time. Gracias, your Majesty.

Burma’s Monks I don’t think there’s any explanation needed here.

Anyway, those are a few of mine. Feel free to add yours, and make sure you take home lots of leftovers.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 11/21/07 at 08:55 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 11/21/07 at 10:25 PM from United States

"he has a sincerity factor, whether real or not,”

Isn’t the whole point of a sincerity factor that it IS real?

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 11/21/07 at 10:37 PM from United States

Well, Bill Clinton was great at faking sincerity. But Obama’s does seem to be the real thing, so I’ll give him that.

Posted by on 11/22/07 at 12:45 AM from United States

Thought I would check in and say hello to you all. I see Lee has a country to check out. Hope you all have a good thanksgiving and thanks for thinking or my guys and myself.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 11/22/07 at 12:52 AM from United States

I second your nominations, WVR. I’d add:

John McCain for being the only mainstream candidate to stand against torture.

Tony Dungy for never running up the score and, after winning the Superbowl, saying, “God doesn’t care who wins football games”.

Posted by HARLEY on 11/22/07 at 08:20 AM from United States

General Petraeus

fro turning a clusterfuck for the USA into a clusterfuck for AlQuadia and the insurgents.

Posted by InsipiD on 11/22/07 at 05:31 PM from United States

Nice to see you, Rick. Happy Thanksgiving.

Nicolas Sarkozy: For saying to our congress what none of the candidates on either side have had the balls to say.  What a shot in the dark.

The writers of SNL, Andy Samberg, Fred Armisen, and Adam Levine:  For giving one of the funniest skits in ages.  “Iran So Far Away” was timely and reminded my why I should bother to watch SNL through so much dreck.

Posted by on 11/23/07 at 10:42 AM from United States

To GI Joe and GI Jane for always making lemonade despite the onslaught of more lemons than we can ever count.  For standing tall and keeping the eye on the mission, even when those in charge weren’t sure what it was.  For being the only ones over there without an angle and an eye on a way to make themselves rich.  For hanging on to their idealism, the backbone of the American spirit, and the idea that they really do want to make life better for the Iraqi people.  So many of our citizens are so superifical, we really don’t deserve our fighting men and women. Say a prayer and give thanks for every one of these folks!