Chance favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

Old School Gaming

What’s the best site for downloading MAME ROMs?  I’m looking for the classics:  Joust, Pac-Mac, Defender, and so on.

Posted by Lee on 12/27/05 at 06:57 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by NativeSon on 12/27/05 at 08:51 PM from United States

Do you need them immediately? I have about 150 at home on my computer but couldn’t get them to you until tomorrow at the earliest.

Posted by on 12/27/05 at 08:56 PM from United States

I have a cdrom that has Mame and a whole bunch of roms burned on it (someone gave it to me a year and a half ago). It probably has those roms on it, but the big problem is locating that disk....

Posted by on 12/27/05 at 08:58 PM from United States

t probably has those roms on it,..

Er, the three roms you named, at least.

Posted by CaptCBleu on 12/27/05 at 09:10 PM from United States

check out the abandonware sites, you might find what you are looking for. There are also a bunch of mame type games at several linux sites.

Evan

Posted by GRUMP on 12/28/05 at 04:01 AM from United States

Downloading ROMS from ROMnation might be infringing on the game co.’s copyright. Purchase them legally at StarROMS.

Posted by Poosh on 12/28/05 at 05:22 AM from United Kingdom

Don’t you think it’s a bit sad that you know what a “MAME ROM” is…

Posted by HARLEY on 12/28/05 at 07:09 AM from United States

no poosh it just show how well “seasoned “ ya are.
Now taht Le, has mentioned it, im gonna look for teh old defender game, alwasy loved that.

Posted by on 12/28/05 at 08:00 AM from United States

is MAME and emulator?

Posted by on 12/28/05 at 09:38 AM from United States

MAME - Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator

Posted by MrAnd on 12/28/05 at 11:37 AM from Canada

Lee

Checkout what’s available here at Best Buy in canuckistan for $40, so like, what, $5 USD?:

Atari Flashback 2.0

n

Posted by on 12/28/05 at 12:39 PM from United States

I have about 1500 ROMs on my PC at home (I’m currently at work). Every game you’ve ever played, and a shitload that you haven’t.

I think I got them in a set of 15 or 20 zip files, so if someone has an FTP site, I could put em up there for you to grab.

Posted by on 12/28/05 at 01:45 PM from United States

romnation is pretty much the best site for downloading any roms

it really pains me the way game systems die so easily.  we are blessed to have emulators to help us preserve old games.

the idea of buying roms isn’t a bad one, but it’s mostly a failure.  look at that site and witness the pitiful selection.

Nintendo may have more success with its virtual console when they release the revolution next year.

Posted by on 12/29/05 at 09:47 AM from United States

www.rom-world.com
or if you do bittorrent, you can get them there. I downloaded an 11 gig zip file with 6000 roms.

Next entry: Steal Steal Bang Bang