Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. - Yoda

Rotten Apples

So I got my laptop back from Apple.  I couldn’t have been happier with the service.  From the initial call my laptop was sent to Memphis, repaired, and shipped back, all in four days.  That’s service!  So I came home at lunch, picked up my newly repaired machine, and went back to work to start copying all my old files back on it.  I turned it on a BING!  It crashed.  After the reboot I ended up booting into Open Firmware.  This is EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEM that I sent it in there for the first time.

To say I am a little pissed is an understatement.  It would have been a flawless repair experience if it wasn’t for the fact that they didn’t actually repair the damn thing.  Some fucking slack-jawed technician didn’t do his job properly, and that just burns my ass.  They really screwed the pooch on this one.

Posted by Lee on 02/28/06 at 01:28 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 03:15 AM from Canada

Answer: Linux

Posted by Loud on 02/28/06 at 03:34 AM from United States

Yep.  Time to get a wintel box, Lee.  :p

Posted by JimK on 02/28/06 at 03:55 AM from United States

I don’t believe this at all.  First of all, OSX is flawless, everyone knows that.  Secondly, Apple hardware never fails.  This is a fact.  Thirdly, Apple as a company has never and will never make a mistake as long as Steve Jobs is in charge.

I think you’re lying, Lee.  You’re LYING!  ;)

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 05:28 AM from United States

Which is why it’s nice to have a PC, you can actually fix those yourself.

Posted by InsipiD on 02/28/06 at 05:42 AM from United States

They must’ve been reading this blog and decided that they’d bungle your repair because of your conservative views.  Remember, Al Gore is on their board, and Jobs is a big lib anyway.

Posted by HARLEY on 02/28/06 at 06:04 AM from United States

/nelson voice

HA HA
/nelson voice end

See, now if it was a windows machine, 20 minutes of shaking it, beating it with hammer and threating it, would have solved the problem, believe me , it works… i do it all the time, on other peoples machines that is.

just call me the REDNECK MSCE. lol

Posted by HARLEY on 02/28/06 at 06:06 AM from United States

just call me the REDNECK MSCE. lol

figures.....i alwasy fuck something up.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 06:22 AM from United States

Dude, you shoulda got a Dell. ;)

Posted by Sean Galbraith on 02/28/06 at 06:30 AM from Canada

Lee: Here is how to fix your problem (actual photo I took at an Apple store a couple days ago).

:-)

Posted by micro506 on 02/28/06 at 06:44 AM from United States

Linux

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 06:48 AM from Japan

I was thinking of buying a Linux. Are they any good??

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 07:23 AM from United States

I have a self built computer...its 6 5 years old....only been down once.....runs like a champ. Its been overclocked at 125Mhz for 5 years !

You system is only as stable as the build of your motherboard ! Good motherboard = good system ! Of course know what not to run on your system always helps (ie spyware, zombies, bots, viruses )

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 07:31 AM from Canada

I was thinking of buying a Linux. Are they any good??

Please don’t tell me you’re serious?

I have a couple of Linux machines.  Linux is kick ass as a server, but I haven’t been too thrilled with the desktop.  However, I’m a newbie and my machines are old, where as Ubuntu linux is made for machine that were made after 2000.

If anyone likes playing with, or needs a nice simple office server SME server at http://www.contribs.org is the way to go.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 08:17 AM from United States

Oh no, you mean....Apple isn’t infallible?!?!?  WTFBBQ!!!111!!!

Shit happens.  Welcome to the real world.

Stogy, as far as a Linux box goes, just build or buy a barebones PC and install a copy of Linux (whatever flavor you like) on it.  You can download Linux free here

The current builds of KDE are pretty good as far as Linux GUIs go.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 08:46 AM from United States

Crap happens in a repair shop - usually the tech is overworked and has one or two sentences of poorly written failure data in front of him.  It is quite possible that your system was NFF both times he booted, or it never got turned on at all.

Did you get a repair invoice with it that listed:

1) what it was returned for

2) who worked on it

3) tests performed & work done

4) replacement parts used

5) signed and dated by the repair tech as complete

Make a phone call to the repair center, bitch loudly (no swearing until it happens twice), provide a detailed complaint, & include a written failure complaint with the same details when you send it back.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 08:54 AM from Japan

I was thinking of buying a Linux. Are they any good??

Please don’t tell me you’re serious?

Sorry - I really couldn’t resist. It was just asking to be said.

I’ll behave now.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 09:15 AM from United States

I’ll behave now.

No, don’t do that.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 09:18 AM from United States

I find that companies with really crappy products often have awesome support. It’s either because they have to or they just see so many of the problems. I wonder if the converse is true.

Posted by Drumwaster on 02/28/06 at 09:30 AM from United States

"If it doesn’t fit, use a bigger hammer. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyhow.”

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 09:48 AM from United States

Percussive Maintenance

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 09:55 AM from United States

Any way this can be blamed on Bush or Bill Gates?

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 09:56 AM from United States

Another answer:

Lee.  LEE!  COMMMMMME to the DARK SIDE!

--Bill Gates

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 10:17 AM from Japan

Lee.  LEE!  COMMMMMME to the DARK SIDE!

You don’t know the power of the dark side?

Then I suggest you use a transformer.

(sorry again)

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 11:21 AM from United States

Looks like you got the bad apple. Take it to the genius bar and see what happens there.

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 02:29 PM from United States

An oldie, but a goody

Posted by on 02/28/06 at 08:55 PM from United States

Just build a cool custom mini-itx system loaded with Microsoft®™ Bob!

Next entry: Communist Net