No legacy is so rich as honesty - William Shakespeare

Server stuff, your opinions needed
by JimK

Okay, so here’s the deal. Y’all might have noticed the server is continually going down these past couple of weeks. It’s the same old bug in the Qmail server, and no amount of troubleshooting or technical support from the provider seems to fix it. The only thing that works is to reboot the machine, catch it before it goes haywire and run a cleaning script to clear the mail queue & associated folders. Then we wait for the problem to happen again.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

This server still costs the same $254 a month it always has. So this constant crashing is grating on my last nerve. Also, the box gets about $0 in Blogads per month. That is primarily (okay, exclusively) mainly due to my abandoning most of the sites that it houses. However, truth be told, I have lost my heart for daily grinding on politics, and that is not likely to change any time soon. I simply can’t take maintaining the levels of anger and vitriol one needs to be effective in this current blog world.

Worse, I cannot afford to keep carrying the cost. Thanks Obama! (Oh look, there’s the anger.) But, I have found a more affordable place that will allow me to scale up and down in need & cost, and they seem to be far more capable than our current provider, and I hope to move stuff in the next two weeks so as to avoid the new billing cycle and that $254 charge. However: I have almost no interest in trying to upgrade all these ExpressionEngine sites and trying to import them and keep them running. I propose the following:

1. Create a new RTFLC out of Wordpress, and attempt to create an archive out of the current EE site with link structure and searchability intact. If that doesn’t work, this is the one site I am willing to do the work on to move over. I’ll probably have to weed out old comments, maybe older than 12 months though, because the database is MASSIVE, and the server won’t let me FTP a copy of it for whatever reason. It times out before it ever finishes (this has always been true, and no one can tell me why). So older comments might be lost, but not the posts. Your opinions on this plan are encouraged!

2. Create a static archive of LeeInChina, with the domain name, and keep that forever. That’s just smart, since no one is - or should - ever post to that domain again.

3. Static archive of Moorewatch, attach it to a sub-domain of RTFLC and break all Google links to it., This is more for professional reasons than anything else. MW is an albatross around my wife’s neck, and she’s about to embark on a career that really takes her reputation into account. Unfortunately that fat asshole attached her name to something she had no part in, and while at the time we never imagined it would matter that much, that fat fucking douchebag has created a situation that may affect her and her future client base, so I want to break the Google link between her name, his name and the site. Hell, it won’t hurt me to have my last name severed either, I can imagine some people wouldn’t hire me to show them how to lift weights just because of that piece of shit film....on the one hand fuck those people, but on the other hand, I need to earn a living. - Again, your opinions and suggestions on this plan are encouraged.  Also, revive forums here and invite all MW forum users over to RTFLC to save what is left of the community.

4. If I host a site for you, I’m sorry but that’s gonna have to stop. It’s not a question of money: it’s a question of time and tech support.

Basically I just want to know if anyone has any ideas re: 1 and 3 that I haven’t thought of. I need to get rolling on this pretty much this week, so barring any new ideas, this is my plan to be implemented sometimes at the end of the week, probably starting this coming weekend.

Posted by JimK on 04/19/11 at 10:13 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 04/19/11 at 10:59 AM from United States

I realize that I have not been around for awhile (just recently returned) but here is one man’s opinion, do what is basically the easiest and most cost effective for YOU. You are the one that is doing all the heavy lifting here, I would do whatever required to make it as simple, stress free, and as low maintenance as possible. If that requires losing some old dusty comments, who cares?

I also seem to remember you having fund raiser drives in the past, are you still doing this? How about an annual post whereby you pass the hat via paypal? I bet most here would gladly toss you some bucks for site upkeep, I certainly would. Nobody expects you to do this gratis (ya know, that whole free markets thingy where we reward industry and effort?).

Posted by AlexinCT on 04/19/11 at 11:20 AM from United States

Second that.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/19/11 at 12:14 PM from United States

Third.  I know that running the sites is a burden and want to make it as easy on you as possible.  If we lose comments ... well, we lose comments.

Posted by on 04/19/11 at 01:38 PM from United States

Another for the do what you’ve got to do vote. I would like to ask, though, could you try to save as many of the comments for this site as you can? I feel that they add a certain charm that makes this site great.  Don’t kill yourself, though, and thank you for everything.

Posted by on 04/19/11 at 01:56 PM from United States

Weeding out old comments shouldn’t really bother anyone - I mean, how often do people REALLY need to get into anything in excess of a year old?

Do what is most convenient to you - and run another fundraiser while you’re at it.

Posted by JimK on 04/19/11 at 02:28 PM from United States

Dammit.

I never took ownership of leeinchina.com and it’s associated with his old email - which is defunct - and Godaddy wants a current ID from the registrant, which, obviously we cannot get. I filled out a form that hopefully will convince them to give me control, but I may have fucked up here. I have the site, files, posts etc. But I might not control the domain once it expires.

FUCK.

Posted by on 04/19/11 at 04:21 PM from United States

Is scp any better than ftp for x’ferring the files (if available)?  Just a thought, but if comments are lost, I’m not bothered.

Posted by Manwhore on 04/19/11 at 05:01 PM from United States

Could be innocuous, but then again, it might not be. That’s the tricky thing with having your name on the web. I think it’s a good idea for her career to bury moorewatch and unlink it. I mean, I like you, the people on the site like you both, but you never know what people think outside of those confines or what could affect their decision making.

I’m also in agreement to do what you feel is best. These blogs mostly serve as a legacy of Lee’s blogging, so the comments are not so much important as keeping the digital ink alive.

Posted by on 04/19/11 at 05:08 PM from United States

Jim it may be too much of a pain in the ass, but godaddy probably has a process for heirs of someone who has died to get control of their email accounts.  If you strike out with them, Lee’s next of kin can probably get the info.  Not sure how much contact with them you have them, but if it can be done easily that might be the way to go.

Posted by JimK on 04/19/11 at 05:27 PM from United States

hist, I was going to try to do this without bugging Lee’s mom, but yeah, Godaddy says I need the death certificate. Gonna have to ask.

Just got the new server account and have a test site running. This thing is dreamy. And technologically speaking, switching to Wordpress for the future and creating an archive of this site to date looks like the way to go. That way I can keep the comments in place too. Big ass static archive, but fuck it, its mostly an automated process to get it all, then I just have to drop a search function in there, upload it and call it a day.

Authors: if you don’t know the Wordpress admin panel, I suggest grabbing a free account and test blog at http://wordpress.com/ and mess around with it. It’s VERY different, but also more developed, user-friendly and fully supported by hundreds of thousands of users, and: IT’S FREE. I no longer have to pay ExpressionEngine a yearly fee to download new versions (which I gave up on doing eventually), or struggle with their really complicated code. And there are a million easily customized templates out there that do some pretty cool things.

All that is to say I should have done this like a year ago and saved myself a small frigging fortune.

Posted by Manwhore on 04/19/11 at 06:33 PM from United States

Does it mean that the threads will now be open to anons with a spoof email? I comment on a site run by wordpress and it seems balls to the wall like that.

The only other thing I don’t like about wordpress is that it eated some people’s comments in spam and no one can seem to trace the reason why (could be an issue for you). It’s also pretty much impossible to search for if you want to crawl old comments (or really threads even as far as I’ve noticed). Threads are counted-not title searchable. There’s a funny thing it’s update does on Ipads (I regularly use my ipad online now) where it takes the front page and re-orients it to look more like a scrapbook. Probably some snazzy developer thought of it, but it’s annoying and can be easily reverted by clicking on a “normal view” rollover at the bottom of the page.

That said, I really like that instead of needing to quote people you can just reply to them directly in comments. It presents number issues when trying to search by comment numbers, but who really does that?

Posted by InsipiD on 04/19/11 at 06:34 PM from United States

JimK, you do what you need to do to.  I’ve had a great place to argue now at your expense for quite a while, and you don’t deserve to have to do that.  You’re a scholar and a gentleman.  Thank you for that generosity.  As for where we’re going, just make the trail clear, and I’ll follow.

As for the stuff with your wife, that sucks eggs that it’s become a problem.  I wouldn’t blame you a bit if you washed it away as needed.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/19/11 at 07:18 PM from United States

I’ve been using wordpress on my own blog for some time.  Very easy to use.  Shouldn’t be any problem.

Posted by HARLEY on 04/19/11 at 07:20 PM from United States

jim, i know i havent contribuated lately, but what ever you decide to do is fine by me. I do not want to loose this collection of degenrates,that im proud to call friends.  This blog has been one very postive experiance for me, thanks jim.  oh btw i wont be on much since i somehow fried my modem and net surfing pc..so im stuck with this dam phone........see ya all on the flipflop.

Posted by on 04/19/11 at 07:30 PM from United States

Heard that. S’why I just stepped away. I didn’t like the person that getting down and dirty in the trenches of politics was turning me into. It took too little to push me into stuff I was never proud of the next day.

Obviously I want what is best for you, and for Donna. (Wow, and I thought I couldn’t hate Moore any more than I did before. Turns out it’s possible!) One question I have is, will Made of Awesome be disappearing? I haven’t exactly been doing my part to help keep it lively, but we could always give it another shot and try to remember it exists and needs some love. Or if the time and effort is just not there to be given to it, alas and goodbye.

Posted by JimK on 04/19/11 at 07:34 PM from United States

Manwhore, I should be able to require a valid email for comments. Or, worst case scenario, I will find one of the third-party systems out there, intense debate or my personal fave, Disqus. One way or the other I’ll make sure that people can still use nicknames but need to verify that they are humans and have to verify an email.

I’ll also look into making sure the mobile versions aren’t that terrible default template.

Thanks for the support everyone. When this is over the site will be faster, cleaner, easier to use and STABLE! :)

Posted by on 04/19/11 at 08:43 PM from United States

Jim, thanks for the years of fun with these sites. I certainly appreciate it. Moorewatch and this site were my first blog sites, and to this day are really the only ones I post to except an occasional post to VO. I’ll sign up wherever you set up shop.

As for old posts, who cares, it’s not like you’re going to get a blog post audit, and muirgeo’s new stuff will be as inane as any prior post.

Posted by on 04/19/11 at 10:52 PM from United States

Do whatever you have to do that requires the least amount of time money and stress, Jimk.

Love this blog. gratful for all of your hard work.

Posted by Manwhore on 04/19/11 at 10:55 PM from United States

Yeah, you know us. EE was great but I agree with you, it’s the internetz, open source that shit BABEE!! Dude, I know so many companies that are like honey badgers and just don’t give a shit. They go all google or yahoo, and fuck an IT department. I don’t blame you, and it’s all semantics.

Funny story about EE, while we’re on the topic. When I set our site up, I was mostly impressed with EE surrounding rich capabilities and the idea of CSS customization. I knew nothing of it other than it was possible from EE’s website. It was dwex who did all the heavy lifting.

That said, from the day I set the site up, the idea of subscription servicing on the internet has gone the way of the dodo, and google, yahoo, and MS are leading the way. They are the TV of the future, and you are apt to drop EE. They are EPIC FAIL in this new world.

In essence, Lee had the best tools available at the time and would’ve himself switched to open source (you know how he was about tech).

Just a .02

Posted by Manwhore on 04/19/11 at 10:58 PM from United States

Sorry, meant to add to the EE story. I registered, used my RTFLC nic, and I got an email back that said basically “sorry sir, we didn’t answer your question because we are a family company. Your nic is just so offensive, would you consider changing it?” I politely told them to fuck off because I presented money and, of course, those Mormans relented.

Funny how that shit works.

Posted by Manwhore on 04/19/11 at 11:29 PM from United States

Just be a Honey Badger dude:

Posted by JimK on 04/20/11 at 09:16 AM from United States

Rann: We’re totally into reviving MoA in a simpler format. Probably laying off the multiple authors/characters-in-a-post gimmick and just making posts about shit we love. I think we should do it as soon as the dust settles on the new server. I’ll archive the old and rebuild for the new.

Manwhore: HONEY BADGER DON’T GIVE A FUCK. I love that guy. His videos are great, but also actually educational. Kids would love that shit in school if we weren’t all so uptight with language....

Again, thanks all, you guys/gals (wait do we even have gals anymore or is this a pure sausage festival?) are making this easier on me…

Posted by AlexinCT on 04/20/11 at 11:02 AM from United States

Moogoo might be transgenderd or some sort of weird like that, in addition to his insane, so don’t leve him out, man.

Posted by Miguelito on 04/20/11 at 05:43 PM from United States

Yeah, Wordpress would likely be a lot easier, I always wondered why you guys stuck with EE so long, with all the other free options out there.  A few plugins like captcha or other comment options cuts way down on the spam.

How hard is it to do paypal subscriptions?  Get a few of us to kick in a couple $/month (I’d be willing to do a few) and it’d add up relatively quickly to help with the bills.  I know they can add up fast.

Posted by Manwhore on 04/20/11 at 06:58 PM from United States

Honey Badger just eatin’ up all the snakes, and he don’t give a shit. Eww, he’s just so nasty!