I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. - Thomas Jefferson

Syrian Bedfellows

Seriously, what the hell is going on in the world?  I’m currently having an online argument with a guy at the Cato Institute, which is surreal enough.  And now, the editorial page of the Washington Post, the Pravda of the Democrats, agrees with me on Pelosi’s little Syrian vacation.  Here’s what I wrote.

What bothers me is that Pelosi is legitimizing the Syrian regime by making an official visit.  That’s the job of the State Dept, to officially represent the United States on the world stage.  … I mean, agree or disagree with the “carrot versus stick” approach, this is totally inappropriate.  If Pelosi wants to go over and lick Assad’s balls she should wait until the Democrats are in the White House again, then she can do whatever the hell the president authorizes.  Visiting allies is one thing, playing kissy-face with our enemies is another thing entirely.

And how here’s the WaPo.

HOUSE SPEAKER Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) offered an excellent demonstration yesterday of why members of Congress should not attempt to supplant the secretary of state when traveling abroad. After a meeting with Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad in Damascus, Ms. Pelosi announced that she had delivered a message from Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert that “Israel was ready to engage in peace talks” with Syria. What’s more, she added, Mr. Assad was ready to “resume the peace process” as well. Having announced this seeming diplomatic breakthrough, Ms. Pelosi suggested that her Kissingerian shuttle diplomacy was just getting started. “We expressed our interest in using our good offices in promoting peace between Israel and Syria,” she said.

Only one problem: The Israeli prime minister entrusted Ms. Pelosi with no such message. “What was communicated to the U.S. House Speaker does not contain any change in the policies of Israel,” said a statement quickly issued by the prime minister’s office. In fact, Mr. Olmert told Ms. Pelosi that “a number of Senate and House members who recently visited Damascus received the impression that despite the declarations of Bashar Assad, there is no change in the position of his country regarding a possible peace process with Israel.” In other words, Ms. Pelosi not only misrepresented Israel’s position but was virtually alone in failing to discern that Mr. Assad’s words were mere propaganda.

I’m not a religious guy, but this has to mean the end of the world or something.

Posted by Lee on 04/05/07 at 05:21 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 04/05/07 at 06:29 PM from United States

It can mean that the worm is turning, also. Even the serious kool-aid drinkers have to know deep down that if Carter is saying “Good on ya”, then there is something seriously wrong in her move.

Posted by on 04/05/07 at 06:43 PM from United States

I think you are OK (for now), Lee.  But if you start to find the musings over at Democratic Underground reasonable, fair and well balanced ... well, then it might be time for a vacation - or even some serious professional help.

Posted by on 04/05/07 at 07:17 PM from United States

Stupid b*tch.  What the hell?

Posted by on 04/05/07 at 07:48 PM from United States

agrees with me

Dude, they did not use “lick Assad’s balls” anywhere in their article. You’re reaching a bit, bro.

Posted by ? on 04/05/07 at 08:04 PM from United States

Anyone what to take guess what profession Assad trained for before his dad died and he became the so called Syrian dictator????

david

Posted by dakrat on 04/05/07 at 08:38 PM from United States

I loathe guessing games.  Wiki says he did medical school in Damascus and did ophthalmology training in London.

Why do you think that’s important?  Do you think an heir to the Syrian presidency can just quietly slip away to do LASIK surgery in Kansas City?

Posted by on 04/05/07 at 09:27 PM from United States

Well she is from Frisco so of course she fell for it

I guess the old eye doctor rendered Nancy blind

Posted by on 04/05/07 at 09:33 PM from United States

The balls on that cunt - this is nothing but an attempt to set herself us a shadow president, circumventing the legitimate executive branch in a transparent show of “see, I know how it’s really done, I’m more presidential than the president and real diplomat”.

Of course, now that she’s shown herself to be a naive fool and been used like the pawn/idiot that she is, she’ll backpedal or claim “victory” on some level that doesn’t exist.

I’m sure the retards over at Daily Kos are just spooging in their pants over her show of “leadership” and “diplomacy”.  Of course, the real kiss of death for the whole thing was Jimmah Cahtah’s endorsement of her actions.  The man needs to learn that not only is he NOT the president, he was a miserable failure when he was in office.

Posted by on 04/06/07 at 06:57 AM from United States

i think she’s crazy. i mean that literally, i think the woman needs help

Posted by on 04/06/07 at 08:23 AM from United States

Not as crazy as Boxer, but pretty close.

Posted by HARLEY on 04/06/07 at 08:49 AM from United States

I think the WSJ, is indicating what she did might be a felony… hmmmmm

Posted by on 04/06/07 at 08:57 AM from United States

According to this WSJ article posted this morning Pelosi committed a cr
John Adams saw the danger in rogue foreign policy communications outside the state department (mandated arm of the executive branch) and made it a felony.

Posted by on 04/06/07 at 08:58 AM from United States

I think my hyperlink just exploded!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on 04/06/07 at 09:22 AM from United States

indeed they are. Dumbshitunderground, too

Posted by on 04/06/07 at 09:44 AM from United States

indeed they are. Dumbshitunderground, too

Having never looked at their blog, I took a peek. Holy mackeral, I thought Lee bordered on vulgar, he is an absolute Demosthenes compared to these potty mouths.

Posted by on 04/06/07 at 12:55 PM from United States

Why, Lee!  You almost sound like a ... a… BLEHHHHH!!!! BAARRRFFFFF!!!!!

REPUBLICAN!!!

Posted by on 04/06/07 at 12:58 PM from United States

Oh, and Hugh Hewitt calls her LuLu Pelosi for a reason.