No legacy is so rich as honesty - William Shakespeare

Targets of Opportunity

Iran is one of the more modern, better educated countries in the Middle East.  This is what their best and brightest look forward to.

The United States may see oil and terrorism as Islamic Iran’s main exports, but many young people here will be quick to disagree.

The Islamic republic, home to some of the most qualified young people in the Middle East, has been exporting its brain-power at an alarming rate—with an estimated 150,000 frustrated graduates taking flight every year.

And as a joke going around Iranian universities puts it, having a PhD means you’re more than likely to head overseas for a job doing Pizza Hut delivery.

“It doesn’t really matter what your graduation grade is. It makes no difference what contacts you have. You just cannot find a decent job,” complained Somayeh, a 25-year-old graduate of industrial design.

Officially, the unemployment rate among graduates stands at around 16 percent. Experts say the real figure is far higher, and caution further that the figures are also hiding an additional, far larger problem of underemployment.

This is the frustrating situation that a relatively modern, advanced, educated class comes against in a country like Iran.  This frustration is felt all over the Middle East, only multiply it based upon how backwards and restrictive their theocratic governments are.  Their young people look around and see how backwards they are, yet they have been raised since birth to believe that their piety and obedience to the will of Allah will make them his favorites.  So why has Allah forsaken them?  The answer, propagated by their governments, is to blame the Jews and the Americans.  So if you want to know “why they hate us,” and why they’re willing to hijack planes and fly them into buildings, there’s your answer.  Oppression plus ignorance plus radical fanatical religion plus a convenient scapegoat is not a good mix.

Posted by Lee on 05/31/05 at 09:04 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 05/31/05 at 10:28 PM from United States

Lee, this is a great post. I sometimes feel you think the problems in the Middle East are down to Islam/Muslims when really, as you seem to say (I hope I got it right here) its despotic regiemes and extremist theologians. Remove them, and you are a long way to solving the Middle Easts problems.

Posted by Aaron - Free Will on 06/01/05 at 12:01 AM from United States

Canadians suffer a similar confusion.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 06/01/05 at 04:25 AM from United States

The current generation in Iran doesn’t remember the Revolution and barely remembers the Ayatollah. All they know is their mullahs are trying to drag them into an unwinnable,possibly nuclear confrontation with the U.S. and Daddy’s rhetoric isn’t working anymore.

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 05:40 AM from United States

70% of the people in Iran are under the age of 30, and most of them LOOOOVE us.  Of course, they have this consipracy theory that we’re going to bomb them on the 17th of July or something ... I forget the exact date.  They believe it’s pre-planned, so this is cutting into their like of us.  That and reality television.

They are VERY patriotic, because they all remember the glory days of the persian empire.  This is why they call themselves Persians and not Iranians.

My theory is that the government in Iran WANTS us to attack them.  Doing so will invoke the patriotism of the Iranian people, and stop the democratic movement in its tracks.  They’ll also be able to get sympathy from Europe.  They know we won’t occupy them as with Iraq .. just a quick missle strike.

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 05:44 AM from Canada

Canadians suffer a similar confusion.

Yea sort of….  I can’t get a job here with my PhD because the industry I would work doesn’t really exist in Canada.  I could work in a university but I could make more money at my old job.  There is also the problem that I am not a minority and I don’t have a vagina.

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 06:06 AM from Canada

Iranians are different from the rest of the Middle East.  They are Persian not Arab, they speak Farsi (an Indo-European language) not Arabic, They are Shia not Sunni Muslims, and they have a proud history that predates Islam.  Most Iranians know that they are closely related by language and “race” to Europeans and Indians and they are not opposed to western culture (a few feel they are part of it).  They do not for the most part hate us.  In fact most Iranians have a positive view of the US.  Many educated Iranians are NOT serious Muslims, and a few are full blown apostates.  Iran IS the only legitimate example of a Muslim country where a tiny minority of the Muslims are terrorists or terrorist supporters.  It sucks because next to Saudi Arabia Iran represents the greatest threat to the US, most Iranians know this.

Posted by HARLEY on 06/01/05 at 06:35 AM from United States

Snowdawg, i have to agree with you, I’m in constant contact with a Young lady that is part of the democracy movement in Iran. She is VERY pro-US, and a Western style attitude toward culture and life.
I suspect that a VERY concentrated air strike on the gov. HQ’s and facilities, along with a pledge by George Bush that they will support a Resistance movement Publicly, could set off a new revolution.....
<note> she claims to have personal knowledge of secret American help to the Resistance movement .

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 08:33 AM from United States

That’s my ultimate wish in this case, that a Resistance Movement exists with the ability to overthrow the BBBs (barbaric bearded bastards) currently running the country into the ground.  Much better it happen that way, *from within*, than the US having to do all the work (somewhat like Afghanistan, where the US provided air cover for Northern Alliance troops fighting against the taliban).

Posted by www.deadissue.com on 06/01/05 at 11:16 AM from United States

India does the same thing.  This is not exclusive to the Middle East.

Is this a post that intends to offer a justification for ‘liberation’ perhaps?

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 11:21 AM from United States

Posted by SnowDawg on 06/01 at 03:44 AM

There is also the problem that ... I don’t have a vagina.

I thought you said you were Canadian? (dig) ;-)

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 11:57 AM from United States

While I think America is stronger to have hardworking, educated immigrants from around the world come here to make a better life, I question the impact it has on Iran. If their best educated people leave, does it not ensure that ignorance and theocracy will continue?

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 12:15 PM from United States

Anybody naive enough to think that the US isn’t supporting in some fashion the reform movement in Persia hasn’t been paying attention to US/CIA history since the end of WWII…

Drew, regarding your immigration/emigration question--I see your point about their best and brightest leaving, and its impact on the society, but tell me, are you suggesting we force those people to stay in Iran, somehow?

I’m not a proponent of just throwing our doors wide open with no control (Far from it), but to turn such people away is inhumane.

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 12:18 PM from United States

I think they would qualify as “persecuted”, when they are fleeing from a country where merely speaking kindly of “The Great Satan” can get you locked up.

Can you imagine what kind of punishment they would face for actually running away to the US? Think Castro, with ritual beheadings.

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 12:21 PM from United States

Miller-

I’m not suggesting we force anything. If we don’t let them in for that very reason, we’ll only piss people off and they’ll just end up emigrating to Canada or Brazil or Argentina or something. It would be counterproductive.

My mother’s recovering from cancer. She had an Iranian doctor. Thick accent. Good guy. I’m glad he was there.

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 02:40 PM from Canada

There is also the problem that ... I don’t have a vagina.

I thought you said you were Canadian? (dig) ;-)

In a way your right Drum.  In the Peoples Republik of Canada a sex change operation is fully covered by the government.  This includes not only the operation but the psychological counseling and ALL MEDICATION for life.  Most “trans-gendered” people stay on disability or welfare for life because of the “trauma” of the first part of their life.  So theoretically I could get a vagina but then I would not need a job because I would be a life-time welfare recipient.  Thats my tax dollars at work in The Peoples Republik of Canada {proudly hums anthem}.

And you people wonder why I want to move to the US when I am done my PhD.

I wonder if I could apply for citizenship as a refugee escaping a socialist regime?

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 03:23 PM from United States

Hey, SnowDawg!

I don’t wonder why you want to come here—as fucked up as this country is (seems?) sometimes, it’s still the best damn country in the World--

(The BEST!! You hear me, you douchebags? YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!)

I don’t blame anyone for wanting to come here for a better life. I love this place, and I thank God every day that I was lucky enough to be born here.

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 04:32 PM from United States

Well, if the theocrats in our own country suceed in banishing the teaching of science in our schools, we’ll sure need to get our PhD’s from somewhere.

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 04:44 PM from United States

Yeah, because they have done so well in forcing people to pray, study the Bible, and pass a test of Jesus before graduation, haven’t they?

Posted by Manwhore on 06/01/05 at 04:49 PM from United States

You hate it because you know its true.

Practicing your creationism, assmunch_?

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 04:52 PM from United States

Creationism? Moi?

Bwahahahahahahahaha.

You’re trying to unseat Stogy for the title of ‘Fucking Idiot’, aren’t you?

Posted by Manwhore on 06/01/05 at 05:05 PM from United States

You’re trying to unseat Stogy for the title of ‘Fucking Idiot’, aren’t you?

And you are trying to be “the most extreme post” of the day?

/goes to Drumwasters house and finds he worships a hotdog…

Posted by Manwhore on 06/01/05 at 05:06 PM from United States

Hey Drum,

Dont put Heinz on that, its a little bit too red..

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 05:14 PM from United States

I defy you to name which religion I practice.

Gwan, I DARE you.

When you get it wrong, please don’t be offended by the effusive laughter. Yes, I’m laughing AT you, rather than ‘with’, but don’t be offended.

Oh, go ahead and be offended, I don’t give a shit. You deserve to be offended on a regular basis, just for wanting to emulate Richard Gere.

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 05:18 PM from Canada

Three guesses he gets.  Nad the first two count not.

Posted by Manwhore on 06/01/05 at 05:18 PM from United States

Hey Drum,

I already said what you worship.

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 05:20 PM from United States

And what kind of a fucking idiot puts KETCHUP on a HOTDOG? Oh, sorry, I was being redundant. Forgot who I was talking to for a second, what with all that laughter.

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 05:20 PM from United States

Posted by Manwhore on 06/01 at 03:18 PM

Hey Drum,

I already said what you worship.

Yeah, and you got it wrong, too. Keep trying, infant.

Posted by Lee on 06/01/05 at 05:28 PM from United States

And what kind of a fucking idiot puts KETCHUP on a HOTDOG?

I do. :)

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 05:29 PM from United States

I dig kraut and onions and mustard. Needless to say, no one wants to kiss me after that.

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 05:33 PM from United States

Posted by Lee on 06/01 at 03:28 PM

And what kind of a fucking idiot puts KETCHUP on a HOTDOG?

I do. :)

Sacrilege! Infidel! I’mnotlisteningI’mnotlistening! Ican’thearyouLALALALALA.

:-p

Posted by Manwhore on 06/01/05 at 05:33 PM from United States

Keep trying, infant.

/Flame on.

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 05:34 PM from United States

/Flame on.

{Yawn}

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 05:42 PM from United States

(in best aristocrat accent)Prrroper hot dogs are to be embellished with mustard, rrrrelish, and cheese if applying chili.

Thank you, carry on . . .

Posted by Manwhore on 06/01/05 at 05:46 PM from United States

{Yawn}

hey Drum,

I was the one who stopped the fillibuster.

I titty fucked Jenna Bush at Ashton Kutchers house.

you still suck, and nothing you say will ever be that extreme.

Yawn is right. RIGHT>

Posted by Manwhore on 06/01/05 at 05:48 PM from United States

BTW,

WTFC what you worship?

I don’t.

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/01/05 at 05:53 PM from United States

Moron comma wotta comma one each.

Posted by on 06/01/05 at 11:58 PM from United States

He keeps talking, but all I hear is ‘Blah blah blah, Drumwaster sucks, blah blah blah, I’m so cool...’

--TR

Posted by Drumwaster on 06/02/05 at 12:04 AM from United States

All I was getting was the ‘blah blah’…

Next entry: Bosom Buddies