Chance favors the prepared mind - Louis Pasteur

The Beer of Court Jesters

So Obama has his beer meeting with Officer Crowley and Professor Gates (and, in a very dangerous move, Joe Biden).  I didn’t expect any racial problems to be solved, but looking over the reports I have to say:  What.  The.  Hell.

The four drank out of beer mugs. Mr. Obama had a Bud Lite, Sergeant Crowley had Blue Moon, Professor Gates drank Sam Adams Light and Mr. Biden, who does not drink, had a Buckler nonalcoholic beer. (Mr. Biden put a lime slice in his beer. Sergeant Crowley, for his part, kept with Blue Moon tradition and had a slice of orange in his drink.)

I have to agree with Sullum.  Crowley is the only one in the crowd with taste.

As for Obama’s selection of Bud Light, this has to rank as one of his worst decisions since taking office, somewhere between the stimulus package and the auto industry bailout. Regular Budweiser is bad enough. When you have a beer that already tastes like water, why would you add more water to it? And the less said about Biden and his Buckler, the better. In yet another example of the blatant misrepresentations for which the Times is notorious, Asimov erroneously reports that “Joe Biden, who joined the other three, enjoyed a nonalcoholic brew called Buckler.”

You will know a man by what he drinks.  Our late-lamented Lee, for example, was a Jack Daniels man.  ‘Nuf ‘ced.

Although I don’t drink very much, I tend to like a little bit of everything—I’m comfortable with Jack and I’m comfortable with Glenlivet; I can drink Guinness or I can drink Corona.  I’m happy with a $10 bottle of Rosemont Shiraz and I’m happy with a $50 bottle of something French I can’t pronounce.

The one thing I won’t drink is lite beer.  To quote Monty Python, I’d have sex in a canoe if I wanted something fucking close to water.  Forget Marxist leanings or birther conspiracy theories.  Do we really want one of “those”—lite-beer drinkers—in the White House?

This is a problem.  Come on, Barack.  I can respect your Veep for being a teetotaler (note to readers: this may be the last time I respect Joe Biden).  I can ... understand ... the Bud Choice since it’s a harmless domestic choice that won’t offend anyone and is manufactured in a swing state.

But be a fucking man.  What’s the worst that happens if you have a real beer?  You pass out drunk, Biden takes over and gets us into a war with China, India and Russia at the same time.  Is that worse than looking like a pussy on a national stage?

Anyway, an alcohol thread is a great way to kick off the weekend.  Talk about any aspect of the blessed C2-H5-OH you want.  But your first sentence should be what beer you would have with the President (remember the Secret Service will jump on you before you can throw it in his face).  I personally would have had a Guinness, while I still have to scratch to afford beer.

And possibly a hip flask in case we got into policy.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 07/31/09 at 11:44 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 01:18 PM from Germany

I would have an Asahi were I to be invited over to have a beer with the President.  I would have had a very difficult time not staring quizzically at the Bud Light.  When you can have whatever you want, why the fuck would you choose Bud Light.  That question will still be baking my brain on my deathbed ....

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 01:20 PM from United States

Old Speckled Hen, but only if that shit was on tap.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 01:34 PM from United States

Bells Two Hearted or Rogue Double Dead Guy ale.  Light beer sucks balls.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 02:01 PM from United States

Imperial Stout or a good Abbey Ale.

Posted by InsipiD on 07/31/09 at 02:01 PM from United States

When you can have whatever you want, why the fuck would you choose Bud Light.

When politics are guiding you far more than taste.  Just like everything else Barack Obama does.

I don’t know what I would order if invited to the WH for such a meeting, but I would sure try to get someone else to drink a Cement Mixer.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 02:14 PM from United States

Bud Light is a girlie beer that tastes like watered-down ass.  I would have given him more credit if he’d just had a glass of lemonade....

You will know a man by what he drinks.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 02:35 PM from United States

Alaskan Amber or something from the Pyramid.

Hist_ed’s drinking rules #4: Never drink a beer you can see through easily.

(#5: Never drink a cocktail you can’t see through)

Does this guy do anything in his fucking life that isn’t carefully calculated politically (Many times the calculations are spectacularly wrong, but there).

I would have had enourmous respect for Obama lining a up a row of Jack shots.  Can you imagine the MADD’s reaction?  They’s shit so many bricks they could build a fire station.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 03:11 PM from United States

For precedent Ozymandias to drink a Bud Lite on a national stage it would be a lot like him buying a Toyota that was manufactured in Tennessee.  They’re both owned by foreign companies.

And as for Sam Adams Lite, it wins awards after awards in regular beer categories. In my own opinion it has a stronger beer taste than Blue Moon.Not that Blue Moon isn’t a good tasting beer too.

FWIW, Biden was there for the sole purpose of racially balancing the table. It no longer looked like 2 on 1.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 04:18 PM from United States

Obama’s phoniness continues to astound…

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 04:20 PM from United States

Fat Tire, Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat and Newcastle.

Thats a hard list to make short.

Shiner Bock is whats for dinner this evening. It’s the only thing in the fridge, and I’m not fighting friday traffic for anything else. Will stock up for camping tommorow.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 04:35 PM from Germany

I would have had enourmous respect for Obama lining a up a row of Jack shots.

While I agree with you in principle, it would be billed as a colossal lack of judgment right here on this website.

I don’t mind him choosing a domestic - once again, it would be said that “he chose a ferrin beer, elitist pig that he is” ala the fucking Grey Poupon “scandal”.

I do think he should have chosen a good domestic microbrew - support local small business kinda thing.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 04:37 PM from United States

What?  Those evil small businessmen that don’t provide health insurance or have union labor?  They need to be in prison, not making beer…

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 04:44 PM from United States

Really?  Quick poll, how many would call Obama doing some shots with Gates and Crowley a “colossal lack of judgment”?

I know it would come from somewhere (not the press of course) but from this site?

Posted by Miguelito on 07/31/09 at 05:33 PM from United States

I’m not much of a beer drinker at all. Well, actually I’m not much a drinker really.. I just don’t see a point in drinking unless I’m gonna get a good buzz on.  Actually probably going to happen tomorrow around a small card game at my place.  It’s most ironic that I don’t drink much considering my dad.. so much so that people who know him well question if he’s my real father when they learn I don’t drink much beer at all.

Anyway.. when I do actually drink, I tend to go for things like ciders, though I do enjoy a Shiner Bock or other random, non-mainstream beer now and then.

Of course, he could’ve made a really weird choice like one of Avery’s new Demon or Holy Trinity of ale.. or picked from the Dictator series.  That would’ve been fun to watch the dissection of.

Yeah, I never would’ve known about those other then a friend at work.

Posted by on 07/31/09 at 05:51 PM from United States

Drinking a beer with Obama...probably one from my home state and favorite brewery: 1554 (a DARK Belgian black ale) from New Belgium.

“Ya know, Mr. President, I think the only thing thicker than my beer is your Vice President...”

Posted by Hal_10000 on 07/31/09 at 05:52 PM from United States

Nothing wrong with Shiner!  That was on tap at our wedding, although most people went with the Rosemont Shiraz or the champagne. (Hal’s rule of weddings: an open bar makes for happy guests).

Posted by The Contrarian on 08/01/09 at 12:48 AM from United States

Dr. Pepper.

Posted by on 08/01/09 at 02:21 AM from United States

Hey, lets not forget the advantages of light beer. Usually cheap and easily chugged. If your young with a reasonable tolerance there is no way you are going to get shitfaced off a dark micro. After five or six your too damn full. Busch or Hoegaarden is where its at. Other than that natural light is the cheap quick way to a good drunk time.

Posted by InsipiD on 08/01/09 at 04:36 AM from United States

Other than that natural light is the cheap quick way to a good drunk time.

Drank my share of Natty Light back in the day.  I’ve not had a drop since my income exceeded $4,000 a year.

Posted by on 08/01/09 at 10:24 AM from United States

I don’t drink beer-type stuff, mostly because the taste has never grown on me. Dos Equis is about the only “normal” beer I like well enough that I’d drink it other than just to fit the social situation.

Posted by on 08/01/09 at 05:24 PM from United States

1554, a good dark beer, made in America (they also claim to be worker owned, and wind powered so that would have played well to his base).

Budweiser is a terrible choice for quality, and PR as it’s no longer an American company (damn Belgium).  And light?  Come on.  Putin probably downs a quart of vodka before breakfast every morning.

Posted by Miguelito on 08/02/09 at 12:46 AM from United States

Well, after several ciders, a couple hard Mike’s (a friend) brought, sand some Shiner’s.. I’m still riding a nice buzz.  Took 2nd place in a friendly hold-em game to top it off. :)

Ah… a nice Sat night with friends and booze.  Now that everyon’s gone, I’m relaxing with my set of BSG on blu-ray.. 1/2 way into 2nd season. *sigh*

Next entry: Truth to power