Adventure is worthwhile - Aesop

The Best of Lee:  Nominations

Soon after we lost Lee, Jim came up with the idea of a “Best of Lee” segment, an occasional reposting of some of Lee’s more brilliant writings.  We’d like to try this out soon.  So use this thread to make nominations—any post that you think would be worth bringing up again.  Permalink URL’s are great, but even just a “I loved that post where Lee made fun of Sean Penn while he was in Iran” would be useful.

Update: from JimK

My thanks to Hal for this...I’ve been sort of putting RTFTLC in a box on the shelf, so to speak, because it’s really hard to deal with, even still. I think I got through those first few weeks based on nothing more than shock and a sense of wanting to hold the community together. Obviously since then I have been slacking as well as getting ready to go back to school (at age 39!), and you guys have been carrying the RTFTLC water admirably. SO...first of all thank you to all the writers and commenters and even you lurking readers. BTW, comment, you lurkers. I see you there.  Speak up! :)

Secondly, I think that this is so very Lee to do...keep the memory going by finding the best and funniest (which were often also the dirtiest) shit he wrote and laughing heartily at one of the world’s great personalities.  I will spend some time this weekend combing archives for my personal faves to nominate.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 08/04/09 at 06:00 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 08:18 AM from United States

This has always been my favorite post. I introduced most of my friends to Lee with this.

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 08:24 AM from United States

This was the post that got me visiting daily.

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 08:38 AM from United States

I just re-read that article (and the comments) and found this little nugget from Lee on how to win the war:

What we need to win this war is pretty much the entire focus of this blog.  Here’s what I think we need at a minimum.

1) Fire Rumsfeld.
2) Double the number of troops in Iraq.
3) Close the border.
4) Secure the ports.

He nailed the first two—not sure if 3 and 4 are necessary at this point.  Good foresight, nonetheless.

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 09:13 AM from United States

Any post where Lee takes Michael Moore to task.  thast what got me visiting here...coming over from Moorewatch.

Posted by InsipiD on 08/04/09 at 09:20 AM from United States

To me, a lot of Lee’s appeal was in his delivery and charisma.  It often wasn’t the message as I found that I was at odds with a view of his or another, usually the ones he posted the most about.  I trust those who knew him better to do a better job of handling his “greatest hits” list, but it is a great idea.

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 12:22 PM from United States

This might be a good one, not necessarily for any writing Lee did on it, but as a good example of the people from all walks of life that have wandered by this blog and felt compelled to speak out.

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 01:33 PM from United States

This has always been one of my favorites: http://tinyurl.com/mawpb9

Lee’s response to an Islamic apologist getting his panties in a bunch over the “Somebody Bring Me Some Fatwa” post :)

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 01:34 PM from United States

Oops, hosed the link:

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 02:12 PM from United States

I had forgotten why I was visiting this site regularly and now I remember - great nominations.  Lee was one-of-a-kind in his ability to provide eloquent insights in a humorous and meaningful way.

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 02:59 PM from United States

The first thing I ever read of Lee’s: http://tinyurl.com/kkc8c5

It’s about medical innovation and how damn expensive it is to come up with new things.  It’s particularly appropriate now that Obama is trying to socialize our medical system.  Where will the innovation come from of the profit motive is dulled or removed from the US medical system?

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 08/04/09 at 07:12 PM from United States

I thought some of Lee’s most insightful posts were about what Bush, Rove, and the “Movement conservatives” did to the Republican Party and conservatism in general.

I wish he were still around especially now; I’d have loved to see what he would have to say about Obamacare.

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 09:48 PM from United States

While it’s not really a “great” post, I think this, regarding Sean Penn in Iran, was the funniest thing I’ve ever seen on this site. I almost ruined my keyboard when I spit soda all over it.

He’s crouching in that position so you can’t see the erection he got when he heard thousands of Muslims chanting “Death to America.”

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 10:12 PM from United States

While it’s not really a “great” post,

Mark you are totally wrong.  That was a great post and a big part of Lee’s talent-profanely skewering the uptight, self important, assholes that think they are better than the rest of us (Actors, politicians, writers, etc.).

Posted by on 08/04/09 at 11:03 PM from United States

Don’t have a link, but I remember Lee posting on one of his blogs (I think LeeInChina) about how, since he had no plans to marry or have children, his blogs would be a part of his legacy and proof to the world that he had lived.  If someone can find this post, I can’t think of a better way to kick off a “Best of Lee” series.

Posted by Briggie on 08/05/09 at 06:32 AM from United States

I think I remember that post. Was that the post where he said he wanted “When it came to life, all I packed was a toothbrush.” written on his grave? I wonder if that request was honored :)

Posted by HARLEY on 08/05/09 at 07:47 AM from United States

Finding one particular post of Lee’s is difficult, given the volume of posts on RTFTLC. however i simply clicked one the last page of posts available and found this gem.
Lee did have a talent for predicting the path of political events.
And looking over the posts i enjoy again Lee’s style and total commitment to be loud and totally offensive to anyone, that probably why i liked the big bastard so much.

Posted by on 08/05/09 at 10:55 AM from United States

so many excellent posts to choose from.  Some of my favorites are the ones about nothing....like the flame wars that occured with Dawn Olsen and or the moxie-wars and the battle of the “deafies"."
Lee had a way with words, especially when it came to destroying morons...to wit:

Dawn:  You, sweetheart, are a serious fucking head case.  As someone else pointed out in a comment, I guess your “rigorous sensibilities” don’t preclude you mentioning that you’d like to anally rape my mother.  You really need to take a class in logic sometime, because you couldn’t make a coheive argument to save your life.
And as to the cloven-hoofed spawn that you are about to shit out and foist upon the world, the fact that you expect special treatment because someone had the horrible lapse of judgment to squirt their semen into your maggot-ridden vagina shows just how out of touch with reality you are.  For the record, Deb from Insomnomaniac is just as pregnant as you, and not one time has she ever brought out that fact during an argument.  You are a wretched shell of a person, Dawn, someone so unhappy with yourself that you thrive on the adulation of the banjo-playing applesauce-eaters that haunt your gas station toilet of a blog.  You hide behind a wall of your own bravado to cover the fact that you are, in reality, an insecure little thumbsucker.

Dawn, I implore you, give your unborn child a chance.  Give it up for adoption.  Don’t condemn it to a life under your tutelage—this country already has enough drug-addicted vermin, sleeping in pools of their own vomit and piss, begging for change at streetcorners.

Posted by NativeSon on 08/05/09 at 11:09 AM from United States

Wow. So many great posts to choose from. I think I started reading here a few months before Lee’s dad died. Harley’s link is a good sampling of his work. I too loved it when Lee posted about his youth. It’s odd.......... I never met the guy but I miss him everyday.

I’m not a big drinker. Usually just on weekends when I have a gig. And I usually just stick to beer (Shiner Bock!). But ever since Lee’s death, I will have at least one Jack and Coke before I start playing and I make sure I toast it to Lee. I sure do miss the big guy!

Posted by on 08/05/09 at 11:27 AM from United States

banjo-playing applesauce-eaters

BwhaHhahHAahhahahhaHAhHAHaa!!  Where did he come with that stuff?!?!

Posted by on 08/06/09 at 04:42 AM from United States

My personal favourites were always the ones where he dumped on Michael Moore, and where he made fun of those who opposed the Iraq war.  I remember meeting him a couple of times in Venice before he moved to China and will always treasure the long conversations we had as the shadows lengthened and the number of empty glasses in front of us got larger and larger.

Posted by on 08/06/09 at 02:56 PM from United States

I second kevinmkr’s suggestion and second in line for me is this one.

Posted by Para on 08/06/09 at 08:47 PM from Germany

Lee was one-of-a-kind. EVERYTHING he wrote was personal to him. EVERYTHING was a big deal. He was one of the very few to speak exactly what he felt , all the time, never sugar coating anything. He was a true patriot. That is the Best of Lee for me, not any individual post, rather, his entire body of work, which changed the art of blogging, and changed a lot of minds with his passionate arguments.

I have a hard time coming here. I’m sorry. I will try harder.

Posted by on 08/07/09 at 08:10 PM from United States

This is a great idea. We definitely should always remember his work. It will always be the heart and soul of this blog. I have a few in mind, and hopefully I’ll be able to find them. As has been said, a great writer and he wrote everything from brilliant, thought provoking posts to strange shit sometimes, and who couldn’t love every minute of it.

Posted by syddelish on 08/11/09 at 03:12 AM from United States

I honestly do not remember how I found this place. I only vaguely remember that the first time I posted here it was to drunkenly scream at Lee. Would he want it any other way?

I like the new posters, especially Hal, but… none of them have Lee’s wit, humor and biting satire. Plus, the place seems less fun without the random Lee posts about movies he liked/hated, music he loved/hated and the “what’s on your iPod” threads. Mainly because Lee called me a fag for loving the Cure, then admitted he also loved the Cure.

Don’t get me wrong, I still come here everyday. But the spirit of Lee seems to be missing because it has become nothing more than a political blog. Lee sprinkled in a certain sense of “let’s all have fun while bitching at each other” that has been missing since he left us. And that’s why my rare postings have become even more rare.

Plus, I’m still waiting for someone (hint, hint) to tell us all exactly what the holy fuck “blistering cheese” meant. Yes, I remember the domain change and the vague mention of what it meant. But, goddamn it, I want to know what a “blistering cheese” is!

Finally, I’m not the first to say this, and I know I won’t be the last, but I miss Lee.

Posted by on 08/11/09 at 07:19 AM from Germany

Thank you syd, you echo my sentiments exactly.  I like Hal and The Contrarian as guest writers, but the site has become unreadable for me lately with the endless whining about the coming end of the world now that the Democrats are in charge and we are (gasp!) spending lot of money.  Um, we have been deficit spending for eight years now and you guys have just caught on?

This is what led me here and away from liberal blogs - Dem’s constant whining during the Bush administration.  To bring it back on topic, even Lee’s near constant harangues about torture were peppered with his brilliant sense of humor.  I used to spend hours on this site per night watching him relentlessly tear into people stupid enough to engage him.  That was, for me, “The Best of Lee”.

So, why do I come here?  I have always loved the people on RTFLC and still do.  I come back hoping to find some of the Libertarian feel that the blog used to have.  Lee did work really hard to maintain a balance.

Yes, I really do miss him ...

Posted by on 08/11/09 at 09:46 AM from United States

... Shit, are we supposed to do more of that? I was kind of feeling shy about posting anything when it wasn’t something new or linked to a news story, especially that stuff.

Posted by on 08/11/09 at 10:08 AM from United States

… Shit, are we supposed to do more of that? I was kind of feeling shy about posting anything when it wasn’t something new or linked to a news story, especially that stuff.

People loved Lee for both his opinions and the shit that just amused him.  There is a reason that people here felt like they knew him even if they had never met him.  He really gave of himself on this blog and that was what people came back for ...

Posted by syddelish on 08/12/09 at 01:48 AM from United States

Please, please, more of this!

Yes, we are all here because of the politics, but we are on them tubes to have fun as well. I heart this blog, but the humor has been sucked dry lately.

And since I’m married now, I can’t remember what “sucked dry” means anymore!

We used to be dirty here, we used to have fun, we used to insult the living shit out of each other in jest. And when some dumbass decided to walk on train tracks even though she was deaf, we rallied around to defend Lee for being the glorious asshole that he was.

In other words, we used to defy the liberals’ conceptions of what conservatives are. All the posts lately have been boring and reactionary. Now it is all Obama did this, Obama said that, healthcare yadda yadda yadda, etc. Give us some ketchup for our french fries.

Just my two cents.

To the powers that now be, I humbly suggest another dirtiest joke thread.

Posted by on 08/13/09 at 07:57 AM from United States

Another nomination.

This may have been the post where I finally decided to register on the site.

Posted by on 08/13/09 at 08:18 AM from United States

Well said.

Posted by on 08/13/09 at 09:03 AM from United States

Are you fucking kidding me flogg? That is the most disingenuous statement I’ve seen here in quite some time. There was non stop bitching about the GOP and their half ass way of doing things, and their spending. It was completely justified. Now you want to pretend that we’ve just caught on? I hate to be rude to you, but you are full of shit and you know it.

Posted by on 08/13/09 at 09:21 AM from United States

I hate to be rude to you, but you are full of shit and you know it.

He is right flogg.

Posted by on 08/14/09 at 07:23 PM from United States

Hi all

John here. Long time friend of Lee since college when we were just pencil neck pledges for a fraternity in Texas. I received word today from his mom of Lee’s death after her searching in his emails and discovering an email I wrote him many years ago, I knew what the news was when she asked me if I knew lee.

Lee and I disconnected after his move to LA, something I thought long and hard to do with him but declined since he and I were both Young and willing to go anywhere but my small goals were just a bit different from his big goals. I saw him a couple times in the last ten years but after his move to China, our friendship sortof vanished. It is a joy to read all these words describing lee and his influence from all you guys and I am sure gals too. He was a true speciman. I too am sad he is gone, I know our paths would have crossed again someday if he did not leave and that is one thing that hurts the most.

I have started to read his blog from day one and I must say, he has not changed one bit since the day I met him. His choice of words and outlook on people, places and things is what set him apart from most of us.

I will miss you Lee

john burns

Posted by Miguelito on 08/15/09 at 12:40 PM from United States

FYI for those longing for the non-political stuff.. JimK, Donna and Rann keep that kind of stuff going over on madeofawesome.  Though it’s been slower over there during the summer.. and I’m sure life just getting in the way has a lot to do with less traffic.

Posted by syddelish on 08/16/09 at 01:49 AM from United States

Hey now! I go there every day and have even posted a few times. It isn’t that I don’t appreciate it, I just would like to see the humor brought back HERE.

I don’t need to surf two different blogs to know what is going on like this is some horrible Marvel comics crossover arc that I have to buy every X-Men, Silver Surfer and Fantastic 4 issue for a few months to know what is going on. I did that enough with this blog, moorewatch, right-thoughts and the occasional foray into he-who-shall-not-be-named’s blog.

And yes, I have no life! But I don’t live in mom’s basement!

Posted by on 08/22/09 at 09:19 PM from United States

It’s been about 4-5 years since I logged onto this blog, sad to hear about Lee’s passing.

RIP Lee