Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window - Steve Wozniak

The Gift of Life

Over at Captain’s Quarters Ed Morrisey’s “First Mate” is getting a kidney transplant.  As someone whose father died needing a heart transplant I can empathize completely.  If you’re a religious person please say a little extra prayer for a speedy recovery without complications.

And, most importantly of all, if you’re not an organ donor, what the hell is wrong with you?  Take a moment, right now, and give the gift of life.  If you happen to die tomorrow, wouldn’t you want something good to come from it?  Wouldn’t you want someone else to benefit from the tragedy of your premature demise?

I’m becoming emotional and choked up as I write this.  I can’t think of anything more compassionate, more selfless, and more humanitarian than being an organ donor.  YOU’RE DEAD, what the hell do you need those organs for?  Take a moment, print out the card, and know that if you happen to die unexpectedly you will give the precious gift of life to someone else.  As someone who had to make the agonizing decision to switch a parent off life support, please, don’t make someone else go through that.

Do it.  Now.

Posted by Lee on 03/30/07 at 08:10 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 03/30/07 at 10:24 PM from United States

I’d like to thank the nice guy who liked to hotrod around on his motorcycle without a helmet.  I’ve got a new ACL thanks to your retarded behavior at high speeds on the interstate.  I’m sure that many others have also benefited from your foresight and total lack of common sense when in traffic.

Posted by on 03/30/07 at 10:25 PM from United States

Oh yeah, my driver’s license says “organ donor” on it.

Posted by on 03/30/07 at 11:06 PM from Australia

Why don’t you have an opt-out system for organ donation? That way the ones who really feel strongly about it can put their names down on a register and avoid donation, but the ones who just can’t be arsed filling out the form aren’t lost to the system.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 12:10 AM from United States

I signed up years ago after I realized I was an ass for arguing against it. Take what you want and burn the rest.

Posted by Loud on 03/31/07 at 01:24 AM from United States

I know it’s kind of off-topic.. but speaking of getting choked up, go see Reign Over Me if you haven’t seen it.  Damn good film.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 09:55 AM from Canada

I completly agree; I really don’t understand why we don’t have this as well.

Posted by Tetzman on 03/31/07 at 10:13 AM from United States

I got the “gift of life”, after suffering through almost 3 years of dialysis, and having my life on hold.
June 1st, 2005, I got a kidney transplant from a good samaritan in my local area, who read my website, and wanted to help! Living donation is always a great option! Jim Needs A Kidney.com

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 11:15 AM from United States

My 41 year old brother died Jan. 29.  The Orange County Coroner said he died of a rare genetic heart condition.  If he would have been diagnosed, a heart transplant could have saved his life.  Since this disease can result in sudden death, we, his family, are being tested by cardiologist.  I had my tests yesterday-- no evidence of cardiomyopathy-- and my children, nieces and nephews and siblings are going to be tested, too.
Organ donation can really be the gift of life.  It’s too late for my brother, but there are thousands of people in need.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 01:27 PM from United States

Take what you want and burn the rest.

I agree.  That’s my request.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 08:00 PM from United States

I’ve been an organ donor for as long as I’ve had a drivers license...you might want to pass on my liver, however.

Posted by Lee on 03/31/07 at 08:03 PM from United States

you might want to pass on my liver, however.

You kidding me?  My liver is the strongest organ in my body.  It’s Ahnold Schwarzelivver.  You could take it, cut it into 10 livers, and save 10 people’s lives with it.

The rest of me?  Not fit for dog food.  :)

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 11:53 PM from Canada

Interestingly, the liver is one of the few organs you can actually do that - partial transplants. All down to its ability to regenerate.

Next entry: Meeting the Meeters