I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. - Thomas Jefferson

The Land Down Under Deep Under

Being married to an Aussie—one from Queensland, actually—I’ve been hearing a lot about the massive flooding hitting the area.  It’s bizarre to watch.  Last time I was there, Brisbane had gone a long time without substantial rain.  Now they’re inundated.  Seeing places Jindalee and Toowoomba underwater is just strange.  (My in-laws are fine).

One question everyone’s been asking me is why this isn’t getting more attention on the news.  I suspect the Tucson shooting is the biggest reason.  But another reason is that Australia is a functional country.  This is not Haiti or even New Orleans.  They are responding to the crisis rather than waiting for everyone else to help them.  While they can use some help, the Aussies will pick up, clean up and move on.  They’ll be back on their feet well before it’s time for the Maroons to wipe the floor with the Blues ... again.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 01/13/11 at 04:55 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 01/13/11 at 06:23 PM from United States

Spent a month this summer (their winter) down under and I can certainly say the people there were some of the most outgoing and friendly I have met in my travels.  Got buzzed by a bat as big as a German Shepherd and got bored with kangaroos. Headed to Tasmania in March.

I’ve sent my donation. Got to tell ya though Hal - I’ll be rooting for the All Blacks.

Posted by on 01/13/11 at 06:32 PM from Germany

All Blacks aren’t Rugby league mate....

But good on you for rooting for them.

I’d also encourage people to donate - it really is a disaster affecting thousands and thousands of people. Even if you’ve got your shit together, you still need a helping hand once in a while.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 01/13/11 at 06:33 PM from United States

Aussies are a hardy lot. I sometimes think it’s sort of what the American west might have been like if America were still part of the British Empire/Commonwealth.

It’s times like these I wish Lee was still with us to give us his perspective.

Posted by on 01/13/11 at 06:34 PM from Germany

ps - My German flag should be a New Zaland one…

Posted by on 01/13/11 at 06:38 PM from United States

All Blacks aren’t Rugby league mate

I know that - I just thought that there was nothing more intimidating than the Haka. I was at a conference in Auckland where I also got to see a bunch of 6th grade boys perform one as part of the opening ceremony.

Posted by Aussiesmurf on 01/13/11 at 08:41 PM from Australia

Thanks for the kind words about Australians.  With respect to all other countries, I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else.

The Queensland floods are horrific.  In my home state of Victoria, we copped the other end of nature’s fury a couple of years ago with massive bushfires.

I would particularly commend the Queensland Premier, Anna Bligh, whose performance over the last week or so has been magnificent.

And, on a lighter note, Australian Rules football craps all over Rugby (League or Union) as a spectacle and an athletic endeavour.

Posted by HARLEY on 01/13/11 at 09:34 PM from United States

The Aussies will pull through, no doubt about that..

Posted by on 01/14/11 at 12:41 AM from United States

Glad to hear your wife’s family is safe.  I know just what you mean, since it’s been more than a little unnerving here as well.  Coincidentally, my wife is also from Queensland, and my in-laws live in Brisbane and Toowoomba (all safe, thank goodness).

If anything, it’s the reports of flash flooding in Toowoomba that have me freaked out.  I was a kid back in ‘76 when we a flash flood ripped through the canyon around here, so I know all too well how much damage they can do.

Major thanks for the donation link.  I wasn’t aware of it yet, but I’ll certainly share it around.