Adventure is worthwhile - Aesop

The Outlook for the Dems

Coates starts in with what I believe will be the Democratic meme for the next two months:

Also, if you’re making a play for Hillary voters---older, middle-aged white women in rust-belt states--is the way to get it done by bypassing, say, Carly Fiorina and Kay Bailey Hutchison, to pick a former Ms. Alaska who’s only been governor for two years? There’s a meme about Barack Obama reminding older women of the slick, handsome guy who beat them out for a big promotion, even though they were more qualified. But here’s another very likely meme--Sarah Palin as the inexperienced, younger, attractive woman who beats them out for a promotion, even though they were more qualified.

...

Palin was appointed by a 72-year old man who passed over many more qualified, older women for a much younger, former Ms. Alaska with a thin resume. Add in the fact that this is a dude who left his wife after coming home from Vietnam for a much younger rich, former rodeo queen and you have the makings of a narrative. And it’s not the sort of narrative that attracts “Hillary voters,"--it’s the sort of narrative that attracts dirty old men. To be clear, I’m not saying that that’s what McCain is. In fact, I think it’s the opposite--this looks more hamfisted than sexist.

This is the angle the Dems are going to take, I think.  The most common description of Sarah Palin over the next two months will be “beauty queen”.  They’ll portray her as inexperienced (compared to Obama?) and the head of a small population (Limbaugh, in between fits of idiocy*, noted that Biden represents only 100,000 more people) and in the pocket of Big Oil.  How she fares in this crucible will tell us a lot about her future.

*Limbaugh was claiming that only radical leftists are vouching for Obama.  Apparently, he’s missed the endorsements from the very conservative members of the University of Chicago’s Economics Department.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 08/29/08 at 10:08 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 11:55 AM from United States

She is the most competent of the 4( McAmnesty, Hussein, Hairplugs, and the Beauty Queen).
This pick is a difference maker, and this election is over.
I say this because after watching the democratic national convention, I was convinced Mcamnesty would probably win anyway. Now its a no-brainer.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 12:14 PM from United States

Seriously?  Even after his statements supporting massive taxation?

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 01:03 PM from United States

I hope the Dems try and play this angle.  Not only will it not stick, but it’s counterproductive to a campaign that is supposedly above these types of personal attacks.  Palin’s weathered these types of attacks before, she’ll do it again.

BTW, I just made my first McCain campaign contribution.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 01:58 PM from United States

Obama’s and Palin’s experience are both about a year and a half.  During that time, she has been governing and making more decisions in a week than Obama has been making in his whole time as Senator.  AND, he’s been out campaigning for president the whole year and a half.  So while they have both been in office about the same amount of time, their “experience(s)” are vastly different.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 02:45 PM from United States

I was hoping for Sec. Rice but this is an amazing choice.  It’s only Friday and the Dem Conv. is already last weeks news.  Looks like the convention “bump” is turing into more of a dip(just like it’s candidate).

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 02:50 PM from United States

Guys, Obama has been a Senator for four years not two.  McCain (the actual nominee) is a Senator.  Senator is experience, OK?

Wikipedia Entry

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 03:37 PM from United States

I was hoping for Sec. Rice but this is an amazing choice.

Why would you want a failed Sec-state moving up instead of out? Rice is an unqualified disaster who desperately belongs back in academia.

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 03:39 PM from United States

No it isnt. Senators are comparitively unqualified for the executive branch when compared to the experience aquired being a governor.

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 03:40 PM from United States

shit....comparitively and compared in the same sentence :(....I have got to remember preview is my friend.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 03:43 PM from United States

Obama says he definitely wants a dog after the election, but alergies in his family make poodle the only practical choice.

Look. We are not going to have a commander in chief President Obama walking this on the White House lawn:

Poodle20.jpg

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 03:48 PM from United States

That dog is a gay homosexual.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 03:56 PM from United States

Well, McCain is fucked too, isn’t he?  Bullshit.  There have been many similarly inexperienced presidents that have done fine.  Jimmy Carter was a governor.  Duhbya was a governor.  It is totally about the individual.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 03:56 PM from United States

That dog is a gay homosexual.

Would that make him straight?  /rimshot

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 03:59 PM from United States

I never said they couldnt do fine without experience, I just am saying that being a junior senator for 4 years does not make you more qualified than somone who has been a governor for two...in fact probably less so.

Posted by HARLEY on 08/29/08 at 04:00 PM from United States

This pick is a difference maker, and this election is over.

No Ed, this election is still on.
ypou can bet your sweet ass the Obamma campaign is gonna go full tilt, and hammer every point herd, on her inexperience.
I have my concerns however, so far so good, well have to see how this develops in the next few weeks.
McCain, just might get mu vote, he has showed a bit of brains and balls with this choice, now is she shoes some leg and cleavage, they might wrapit up.
ok, now on with the circle jerk.

Posted by HARLEY on 08/29/08 at 04:02 PM from United States

as for the dog, if i saw it running loose id shoot it, thinking it had the some god awful mange or some something.

Posted by HARLEY on 08/29/08 at 04:05 PM from United States

Flogg, you might want to consider that this gal was on the job every day, Obamma, has a record of being not present or just “present” in congress.

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 04:12 PM from United States

No Ed, this election is still on.

beg to differ..

This chick is a winner.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 04:13 PM from United States

Harley, we have both been here a long time.  I don’t like the old switcheroo that Reps like too well.  All of a sudden, we have a new definition of enough experience.  Less than two years as a governor and some PTA experience.

For the record, I have never given a shit either way regarding experience.  I am very proud that we have come to the point in this country that we can have a black Pres or a woman VP.  McCain has shown that he is a risk taker.

Posted by HARLEY on 08/29/08 at 04:25 PM from United States

Less than two years as a governor and some PTA experience.

You forgot mayor, mother ect.

Palin is running for the VP slot, chosen by McCain, Not for the Prime spot.
Yes she isnt ready for the big chair that is what the job of VP is designed to train one for.  My big gripe with Obama experience is that he was a senator for 145 days,or so, before he decided he was presidential materiel. hubris, or Arrogance…
As things are Biden would be a better Presidential contender with Obamma in the training role. but Obamam chose to take the path to be president and stand on his record, what there is of it.

flogg, you are obviously a smart gal,and it take a heap of balls to hang with these assholes, you are doing good bringing up these points.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 04:34 PM from United States

You forgot mayor, mother ect.

LOL, I can cherry pick just like a Republican.

Experience isn’t such a big deal to me.  There will be advisors to take care of any gaps.  It didn’t work out so well for Bush, but it has for others.

Thanks for the vote of confidence ;-) ...

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 04:46 PM from United States

If CNN is to believed, this situation poses an extremely difficult decision for black women. Do they vote their race or their gender?!

CNN: Race or Gender?

Posted by HARLEY on 08/29/08 at 04:52 PM from United States

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 04:12 PM from United States

No Ed, this election is still on.

beg to differ..

This chick is a winner

you hope, a LOT can happen in the next few weeks.
Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 04:53 PM from United States

Why is it always inconceivable to white liberals that minorities can vote issues as opposed to their race, fiscal interest, or gender. It is their inherent racism unmasked when they show they think so little of the capabilites of others.

Posted by HARLEY on 08/29/08 at 04:55 PM from United States

There will be advisors to take care of any gaps.

another thing that bothers me about obamma.
Advisors.
Now some time back it was reported, reliabley thtObammahad 300 foreign policy advisors on call to him, a tad much dont you think?
Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 04:57 PM from United States

you hope, a LOT can happen in the next few weeks.

Of course, but I am feeling ery confident that his pick is huge. The timing is huge, Obama didnt get much of a bump from the convention, and this is dwarving his big speechy, and I think this chick is going to handcuff Biden very well.

Mostly its her battles against wasteful pork barrel spending and special interests. She has a lot of the appeal that Ross Perot had, without the annoyance. Perot gave Clinton two elections. She is going to sit well with the people he siphoned off from the repubs back in 92’ and 96’. Just some of my thoughts.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 04:57 PM from United States

Ed Kline - For the record, my post was obliquely sarcastic. To be clear, that CNN article is the most ridiculous and offensive article ever.

Posted by on 08/29/08 at 05:00 PM from United States

Maybe Barack Obama wants this dog:

poodle.jpg

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 05:00 PM from United States

Oh I got that...I was talking about the libs in the media....sorry I wasnt clear. I’ve read enough of you to know that wasnt your opinion.
In fact it didnt even cross my mind that I ought to be specific about whom I was talking about, because to castigate you for that would be absurd.

Posted by HARLEY on 08/29/08 at 05:01 PM from United States

OK ill give you that, and i think team McCains gonna get a bigger longer bump in the polls that Obamma got from the convention.

another thing, anyone see the post speech reactions of the crowd as they were interviewed? WOW you would have thought that they just saw Jesus or something, how are these people gonna handle Obammas possible Loss to McCain in November?

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 05:02 PM from United States

Could be worse, John Edwards had 300 advisors for hair and make-up.

Posted by HARLEY on 08/29/08 at 05:08 PM from United States

ah a salvo against PalinWe get to see some of her negatives..

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/29/08 at 05:11 PM from United States

Just as graciously as they did in 2000, and 2004.

Posted by InsipiD on 08/29/08 at 06:50 PM from United States

That dog is a gay homosexual.

Would that make him straight?  /rimshot

No, it would make “him” female.

Posted by on 08/30/08 at 04:22 AM from United States

A couple of points, she was runner up for Miss AK and libtards won’t need the beauty queen approach with someone that has pushed for creationism in schools and left her hometown with crippling debt due to her own mismanagement.

McCain’s vetting crew needs to be sacked. My guess is they didn’t have enough time after finally convincing him that Lieberman or Ridge was not possible.

Posted by on 08/30/08 at 04:24 AM from United States

And is Ed Kline 13 years old? Seriously who says “gay homo” after 8th grade and links their profile to a myspace page?

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/30/08 at 05:48 AM from United States

And is Ed Kline 13 years old? Seriously who says “gay homo

someone who is quoting a south park episiode ...

Posted by Ed Kline on 08/30/08 at 06:03 AM from United States

someone who is quoting a south park episiode

I guess I should say ‘referencing’ instead of quoting..

and links their profile to a myspace page?

I find it useful, and its not like I have anything on it I dont want people to see…

Posted by on 08/30/08 at 07:11 AM from United States

Reality check here:  She just gave birth 4 months ago to a special needs child (Down’s snydrome) in addition to having 2 other children under 9 years of age.  As a mom, I can’t see anything more important than bonding with that newborn and getting off to the best start possible.  With all of the qualified women in the Repub party to pick from, McCain picks her???  One of the most cynical ploys for the women’s vote I’ve ever seen.
If his is an example of McCain’s judgement, I see why hard core conservatives don’t trust him.

Posted by on 08/30/08 at 08:14 AM from United States

"They’ll portray her as inexperienced (compared to Obama?)”

Wrong, they’ll attack a central point of McCain’s campaign: if, according to McCain, Obama is inexperienced, then how, possibly, can Palin be qualified to be potential President?  Remember, McCain would be the oldest President elected: the possibility of his VP becoming President is very real.  That way, they’re able to do two things: first, they bring McCain’s judgement into question, and second, they use McCain’s own attacks against Obama to cast doubt on Palin.

There had to have been a better female VP pick within the GOP.  Tactically, nominating a woman was a brilliant pick: sooth those fence sitters who might’ve voted for Obama for the history of it, and possibly attract some Clinton voters.  However, this specific pick seems to be a backfire waiting to happen.

I’m not a parent.  But I like to think that when I’ve got a newborn in my arms, if I’m offered a big promotion at work that would take me away from that child, I’d say “No.” This is another weakness Palin brings, and its one Dems don’t even have to actively mention.  Imagine Biden at the convention saying: “I’d like to thank Governor Palin for being here, I know she’s a new mother for a fifth time, and I think it’s great she’s able to make time from her family and her newborn to participate in this rigorous campaign,” totally does that without being negative.

Posted by on 08/30/08 at 09:04 AM from United States

Please, please, please let Joe Biden be dumb enough to do this.

Next entry: Sarah Smile