No legacy is so rich as honesty - William Shakespeare

Turkeys of the Year

Last year, I gave out RTLC’s award for the Biggest Turkey of 2007.  So I’ll go ahead and do it again this year.  There’s been no shortage of political morons in our world and an election year brings them out in droves.  Use the comments to argue for your choice, but here are Hal 10000’s Biggest Turkeys of 2007.

Sarah Palin: Really, I hate to do this.  But she was woefully unprepared to run for national office.  From odd little lies about the Bridge to Nowhere to shopping sprees in New York, she became a national punchline.  The bizarre enthusiasm that the GOP is showing for her bodes ill for the future.  A generous slice of this turkey has to go to Bill Kristol, Palin’s biggest supporter, whose increasingly phoned-in NYT column is practically a documentary of conservatism’s collapse.

Sarah Palin’s Critics: Where do I begin?  Was is the bizarre theories about Trig Palin’s birth? Or Sandra Bernhard wanting Palin to be raped by black men? Or the seemingly endless stream of C-list celebrities denouncing her?  Or the hysterical reaction to the turkey slaughter during her interview? The only people who sounded dumber than Palin’s supporters were her critics.

Hillary Clinton: I give this one with some reservation.  Clinton has impressed me by accepting her defeat, campaigning for Obama and accepting his offer of State.  That having been said, I have rarely seen so incompetent a primary campaign.  Hillary seemed to think she just needed to show up and she would win.  Make no mistake, Obama won the primary more than Hillary lost it.  But when you go from a dead certainty to defeat at the hands of a 4-year Senator, you’ve earned a turkey.

The Congress of the United States: They have completely ignored PAYGO, racked up gigantic debts for the bailout and showed zero inclination toward fiscal sanity.  Their only accomplishment this year was a “stimulus” that consisted of borrowing against the future in the hope that people would buy big screen TVs.  They refused to consider the Columbia FTA.  I don’t even know why we pay these guys anymore since they’re clearly uninterested in doing any, you know, work.

Joe Biden: Is there any better gaffe machine than the Scranton Mouth, the honorable Senator from MBNA?  Late night comedians are having trouble making fun of Obama.  I think they’ll find their way eventually, but Biden will more than make up for it.

Dishonorable Mention: Elliot Spitzer, AIG, Citigroup, Ted Stevens, Al Franken, Nancy Pelosi, the fawning media coverage of Obama, Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, Elizabeth Dole, Harry Reid, Rush Limbaugh, Arnold Schwarzeneggerr and John McCain’s campaign staff.

I also recommend Gufield’s list and CNNSI’s sports list

Posted by Hal_10000 on 11/27/08 at 09:53 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 11/27/08 at 12:39 PM from United States

I’d throw Keith Olberdouche in there too.  For all his bombast and ridiculousness, least Rush Limbaugh doesn’t pretend to be a journalist and has no problem mocking himself.  Keith has degenerated into such a parody, that Ben freakin’ Affleck had no problem impersonating him.

If “Miss Precious Perfect” follows Keith around for the rest of his career, it will be deserved justice for embodying the brand of reactionary liberalism that dominated the left the last 8 years.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 11/27/08 at 03:11 PM from United States

I’d add The National review for pushing out reasonable conservatives and leaving hacks like Andrew McCarthy in place. Also the people who pushed the Barack Obama phony birth certificate BS.

Posted by on 11/27/08 at 05:17 PM from Germany

Huffington Post and Daily Kos deserve at least honorable mentions…

Posted by on 11/27/08 at 05:19 PM from Germany

Also the people who pushed the Barack Obama phony birth certificate BS

Are we really sure it is BS?  Seriously - it would have taken him almost zero effort to produce a long form birth certificate, there supposedly are witnesses to him being born in Kenya, and he DID travel, by his own admission, internationally without a US passport.

There is something stinky going on…

Posted by HARLEY on 11/27/08 at 05:50 PM from United States

Posted by Seattle Outcast on 11/27/08 at 05:19 PM from Germany

Also the people who pushed the Barack Obama phony birth certificate BS

There is something stinky going on…

Does it matter?  his mother was a us citizen, end of story.
Posted by on 11/27/08 at 06:15 PM from Germany

Does it matter?  his mother was a us citizen, end of story.

Normally I’d agree with that statement, but, if reports are accurate, his stepfather took him to Indonesia and had him made an Indonesian citizen.  Indonesia does not recognize dual citizenship.

Also, it would seem that when he went to Pakistan he most likely did so with an Indonesian passport.

As there is no record of his being naturalized as a US citizen, you can make a good case that he is still an Indonesian citizen.

Finally, as I understand it, if he was born in a foreign country and only one of his parents was a US citizen, he does not automatically qualify as a “natural born citizen”.

Since I haven’t looked up these laws myself, it all may be a house of cards.  However, it behooves Obama to at least provide the long form birth certificate to at least shut up people that are not going to be satisfied with the short form his campaign presented that has been declared a forgery by some document experts.

Posted by HARLEY on 11/27/08 at 07:29 PM from United States

yes that was curious , how they seemed to drag feet on that.
Posted by on 11/27/08 at 07:33 PM from United States

However, it behooves Obama to at least provide the long form birth certificate

He probably doesn’t have it.  When you ask for a copy of your birth certificate, all you get is a piece of paper from a laser printer with the pertinent information on it.  They probably never actually go into the vaults, they have the records on a computer.  It has the seals and such.  Apparently, this is what you get, according to factcheck.org.  You can’t get your long form.  Everything he can possibly produce will be a copy and subject to the same crackpottery that is on the internet.  How many times does he have to produce the same information?

Some guy was saying on a blog that they need to get out a gas chromatograph and do tests on the ink and paper of the original.  Fuck - if this is the new standard, they need to do it for all Presidents from now on.  I’m willing to call it a done deal, myself ...

Posted by on 11/27/08 at 10:14 PM from Germany

When I needed a copy of my birth certificate, it took a month, but I was sent a long form.  They are not difficult to get, if you request it.  Also, Hawaii state officials have stated that they will produce the long form upon request, so it isn’t that they only issue short forms.

The difference in this case is that Hawaii allowed you to register foreign births if done within a year of the birth.  In such cases, there is no long form, you get get a short form.

Even if he was born in Hawaii, there is then the question of his mother and stepfather having likely surrendered his US citizenship for Indonesian citizenship when he was a child.  When he did much of his traveling earlier in his youth, he did not do it as a US citizen and did not have a US passport.

While nobody knows what country issued him a passport instead, the only two that would were Kenya and Indonesia.  Indonesia does not recognize dual citizenship, and would have required him to give up any claim to US or Kenyan citizenship.

If you give up your US citizenship, even if born one, and come back to live in the US, you don’t get a free pass to just claim you are an American again - you have to go through all the hoops of any other immigrant.  It appears that he just didn’t bother to tell anyone that he actually wasn’t a US citizen any longer and pulled out his short form birth certificate and said “here ya go”.  Who is going to bother to question it?

There is a strong possibility that Obama is not a US citizen at all.  Like I said, it is in his own best interest to definitively put these questions to rest, if he can.  His continued stonewalling and smoke and mirrors act only goes to convincing people that he is hiding something.

Hell, until he started playing games on the issue I wouldn’t have questioned his citizenship at all.  Now, I think he’s legally an Indonesian citizen - let him prove he’s not and produce the long form birth certificate and the passports he traveled under.

Posted by on 11/28/08 at 02:11 AM from United States

Um.... Seattle… Bullshit.

How about this?

A photo of the “Honolulu Register” from August 13, 1961, showing the birth of a son, August, 4, 1961 to Mr. & Mrs. Barack H. Obama:  Honolulu Register

You think he’s an Indonesian citizen? Based on what? A few crazy internet blogs and a deep desire for it to be true.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up.

The McCain campaign had more money and time than you’ll ever have, and they didn’t even make the fucking stupid claim you’re making.  Hillary Clinton, with the entire power of the Secret Service and a former President for a husband, didn’t make this claim that you’re making.

Crawl out from the bunker, and join the reality based world.

Fuck…

Posted by on 11/28/08 at 02:17 AM from United States

Seattle -

Further… You don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about.

A child cannot renounce his US Citzenship, nor can a parent renounce US Citzenship for a child.  You just can’t do that.

Here’s the relevant passage from the US State Department.

A person wishing to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

1. appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer,
2. in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate); and
3. sign an oath of renunciation

Obama, at any age, didn’t do this, so not only is your logic fucked up, but so is your factual knowledge.

Will these facts matter to you...? Doubtful. You’ll just continue spouting bullshit that you know is bullshit because it fits your narrative.

Posted by on 11/28/08 at 04:49 AM from United States

Gadman, You are quick to anger, huh?.......If there is no issue, let urkel provide a birth certificate.  Short and simple.  Get rid of the issue by providing a copy.  You followers of the “one” really have some mental issues going on.  Get help.. Please. Soon

Posted by Lee on 11/28/08 at 05:17 AM from China

There is something stinky going on…

The evidence of something fishy about Trig Palin is vastly more impressive, but you don’t seem too gung-ho about that.

Look, I’m a dual citizen.  I know how this works.  I was an American citizen from the second I was crapped out my mother.  It doesn’t matter what fucking country I was in, I am an American because I have an American parent.

Is his mother American?  Then he’s an American, That’s it, game over, end of story.  The rest of it is horseshit.

As Gadman clearly showed, your parents can’t “renounce” your citizenship for you.

Posted by Lee on 11/28/08 at 05:21 AM from China

As for the birth certificate thing, allow me to tell you a personal anecdote.  Remember how I had my bag stolen while I was driving from CA to TX on my way to China?  In that were my US birth certificate, my Australian birth certificate, and my Record of Live Birth of an American Citizen issued by the State Department.

I was lucky enough to get those back, so I still have them.  If I didn’t, it would have been fucking near impossible for me to get a copy of them.  They were all hand typed, for Christ’s sake, it’s not like today where it’s all on a computer.

Let me put it another way.  I have absolutely no idea where my Social Security card is.  I couldn’t produce it if someone had a gun to my head.  Does this mean that I don’t have a SS number?

Posted by on 11/28/08 at 10:53 AM from United States

Scott -

The fact that Obama has provided a birth certificate hasn’t assuaged people like you.

It’s a forgery.
He’s Indonesian.
He’s an Arab.
He’s Kenyan.
He’s ineligible to be president.

Um… Bullshit.

As I said earlier.

Grow the fuck up.

Posted by on 11/28/08 at 12:18 PM from Germany

As I said earlier - it may all be a house of cards.  Nor did I think there was anything to the story until he appeared to have gotten dodgy about it.

Go blow yourself - I freely invited people to prove me wrong and stated that I hadn’t looked into the relevant laws.

This very point seems legit to me, so I did some internet searching on the topic.  Some sources claim that there are caveats to this, including number of years spent inside the US as an adult before giving birth in a foreign country when only one parent is an American (which his mother hadn’t done), yada, yada - which is why they are so keen on showing Obama was born in Kenya.

Posted by on 11/28/08 at 12:48 PM from United States

Hey, all I said was for him to put it up so everyone will SHUT UP about this.  Urkel has a full plate and is going to need all of his limited thinking skills come Jan., so the less distractions he has the better for everyone.

Grow the fuck up