Do, or do not. There is no 'try'. - Yoda

Two Newspapers

Check out the political hagiography of George Clooney in today’s LA Times.

He subscribes to two newspapers and can quote the top political columnists.

Wow, two whole newspapers!  And he reads columnists!  My God, this should qualify George Clooney as Emperor of the Universe!  I mean, anyone who actually reads two newspapers has to be some kind of fucking übergenius.

Here’s a little reality check for George Clooney.  I read about 6 newspapers a day, I subscribe to 5 different political magazines from all parts of the political spectrum, I read maybe 30 or 40 blogs regularly, I’ve written a blog continually for five years while simultaneously working 70 hours a week, and I still don’t hold myself in a fraction of the smug “My shit doesn’t stink” self-esteem that you do.

Update: This was, of course, parodied beautifully in Team America, when that intellectual midget Janeane Garofalo says:

As actors, it is our responsibility to read the newspapers, and then say what we read on television like it’s our own opinion.

Much like Janeane, George Clooney also subscribes to two newspapers and can quote top political columnists.

Posted by Lee on 03/31/07 at 04:04 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 03/31/07 at 05:30 PM from United States

Speaking of newspapers, check out which librul rag says Rummy was wrong.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 05:46 PM from United States

Except that he’s much better looking, doesn’t appear to buy his clothes at the Salvation Army, and does appear to bathe regularly....

He’s still an asshole, though, just as she is.

In their world it probably is something special to read something besides GQ, Vogue, and the National Enquire.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 06:45 PM from United States

Lee -

You’re off base here.

Additionally, you’re being disingenuous. The article speaks of the newspapers he SUBSCRIBES to.  You extrapolated that to the number of papers he READS.

Guess what, I subscribe to ZERO newpapers, yet, like you, I read probably 10 nespapers papers a day on-line, in addition to my regular 30-50 blogs per day, Google news, Yahoo News, ESPN, FoxNews, MSNBC and so on and so on.

But, based on that, I’m ignorant (by your standards) because I don’t subscribe to any newspapers.

If you’ve ever heard Clooney interviewed, you KNOW he knows the topics he’s discussing.  He routinely cleans the clock of the interviewer challenging him - much like Mike Farrell.

When has Clooney, ever, EVER, made a comment like Michael Moore, Sean Penn, Rosie O’Donnell, etc?  If you have such a comment, I’d love to hear it.

I know the guy, Lee. You’re way, way wrong.

Posted by LandoGriffin on 03/31/07 at 07:05 PM from United States

Lee, Lee you’re glib. You don’t know the history of Clooney’s reading habits, Gadman does.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 07:11 PM from United States

"It became an issue of Hollywood versus the heartland,” said Clooney

just goes to prove many of us in fly over states are just rubes in his far superior mind

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 07:21 PM from United States

Hey GADMAN, maybe you can share some links covering Clooney interviews where he exhibits this mastery of the topics and was sufficiently challenged.
Something more serious than Bill Mayer, Larry King, or Chris Matthews, please.
To me he seems like an over indulgent narcissistic gasbag who reads the same blogs as Rosie, but I am willing to be pursuaded to the contrary.

Posted by Lee on 03/31/07 at 07:52 PM from United States

I know the guy, Lee. You’re way, way wrong.

Perhaps.  You say you know the guy, so you’ve obviously got more firsthand experience than I do.  I only go by what I see in the media.  But based on that, I’ve never seen anything to indicate that he was particularly insightful or informed.  You give the example of Mike Farrell, and I’ll totally agree with you there.  Farrell definitely knows what he’s talking about.  Martin Sheen is another one.  Al Franken would be another.  All guys that I totally disagree with politically but they all seem to know not only what they think but they can back it up with a solid argument.  I’ve never really gotten that impression from Clooney.  He seems more to be like a Janeane Garofalo, someone who sounds relatively intelligent but really only regurgitate the opinions of others.  (This was one of the main themes of Team America.) You know as well as I do that good actors are good primarily because they are experts at pretending.  So there are many celebrities who are experts at pretending like they sound like they know what they’re talking about but they actually don’t.  Susan Sarandon would be a good example of this, Brad Pitt would be another.  They’re intelligent people, but there’s a difference between being intelligent and knowing what you’re talking about.  If I had to put Clooney in one of these camps I’d say he’s more of a Brad Pitt than a Martin Sheen.  But, again, I’ve never had a conversation with the guy so I’m going based on media reports.

The thing I thought was so funny, though, was that sentence in the LA Times.  Remember a few years back when it came to light that Bush never really read the newspapers?  Can you imagine what people would have said if Bush’s spokesman came out and said, “The president is definitely informed on public opinion.  He actually subscribes to two newspapers, and he can quote all the political columnists.” I mean, come on, you’d laugh your ass off at that and so would I.  Or what if someone came on this blog and accused me (as often happens) of being misinformed on some issue and I said, “Hey!  I subscribe to two newspapers, and I can quote all the popular columnists!” I’d look like a moron.

To be fair Clooney didn’t write that, but I’m sure his publicist saw it.  It wasn’t an adversarial piece, which is why I referred to it as a political hagiography.  Clooney knows how to go to Africa and get his picture taken in Darfur, but he’s never really given me any indication that he understands the situation there better than, say, some Pittsburgh steelworker who might take the same tour.

He’s a multi-gagillionaire.  He could subscribe to every newspaper on the planet if he wanted to, or he could do just like you and I do and read all of them online.  He makes more in one hour than I make in an entire year, so the fact that he subscribes to two newspapers doesn’t impress me.  It doesn’t mean that he only reads those two papers, but I subscribe to 5 different magazines and I never bring up that fact to somehow make a point about how informed I am on an issue.  Anyone can subscribe to a magazine or a newspaper, especially when you’ve got gold bricks falling out your ass like Clooney does.

Posted by on 03/31/07 at 10:59 PM from United States

I not only read this blog, but I also read quite a few of the comment posts.

Posted by on 04/01/07 at 04:19 PM from United States

Janeane is by far the worst. She must read nothing online or hardcopy. Rants on any topic can have the conclusion, “Halliburton. Cheney. Karl Rove. Kerry really won the election because of Diebold and Ohio.”

Next entry: Shit!!