I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. - Thomas Jefferson

Warner Bros.

Warner is retiring.

Sen. John Warner, R-Virginia, said Friday he won’t run for re-election.

“I say that my work and service to Virginia as a senator will conclude upon the 6th of January, 2009, when I finish ... my career of a then 30 years in the United States Senate,” said Warner, 80.

[…]

Warner served in the Navy during World War II, enlisting at the age of 17, according to his Web site. He also was in the Korean War as a U.S. Marine. He worked in the Department of the Navy for five years during the Vietnam War and was secretary of the Navy from 1972 to 1974.

Warner was first elected to the Senate in 1978 and has been re-elected four times. In addition to the Armed Services Committee, he is on the Intelligence Committee, the Committee on the Environment and Public Works, and the Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs.

Last week, Warner called on President Bush to start the process of bringing U.S. troops home from Iraq in September.

Bob Dylan once said, “You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind’s blowing.” Warner’s been around long enough to see which way the wind is blowing.  The GOP is about to get trounced in 2008, and he’d rather go out on top than be thrown out on his ass with the rest of the corrupt shitbags in his party.

Posted by Lee on 08/31/07 at 01:15 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 03:01 PM from United States

Yeah, what’s a young buck like Warner doing tossing in the towel so soon?

It’s gotta be because he senses impending doom.

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 03:33 PM from United States

It’s gotta be because he senses impending doom.

What else then? Is he ill or infirm? Eighty or eighty one and a half, doesn’t seem to make much difference.

No, it can’t be because he doesn’t want his legacy tarnished by flaming bag of shit the GOP has become and I do stress fahlaaayming.

Posted by dwex on 08/31/07 at 04:28 PM from United States

I like Warner. He’s one of the few who stands on principle. I don’t always agree with his positions, but he doesn’t waffle, and he isn’t afraid to (a) admit he’s wrong or (b) tell powerful people that he thinks they’re wrong. There’s a lot to respect about John Warner.

Posted by on 08/31/07 at 06:21 PM from United States

There’s a lot to respect about John Warner.

True, which is why he doesn’t fit in anymore.

Posted by West Virginia Rebel on 08/31/07 at 06:36 PM from United States

Nah, he’s another one a them libruls what don’t understand grit like Bush and other real Amurkans do.

Posted by on 09/01/07 at 06:17 PM from United States