If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

We Know You

Every time Walmart tries to open a store in a poor neighborhood, a bunch of well-meaning wealthy people object to it.  Their argument ... I think ... is that bringing jobs and cheap goods to poor neighborhoods is somehow a bad thing (Penn and Teller did a great episode on this some time ago; you really should watch it).  Funny enough, the poor people who live in these areas really don’t have a problem with jobs and cheap goods.

Reason has been covering a similar incident from the “we know what’s best for you” Left in Jamaica Plans, a largely Hispanic neighborhood of Boston:

For 47 years, the Hi-Lo grocery store provided J.P. residents with staple items and a vast stock of Latin American products. But when Knapp Food group, the Massachusetts-based owners of Hi-Lo, decided that they had had enough of the supermarket business, they pulled out of Jamaica Plain, shuttered a local landmark, and negotiated a 20-year lease with Austin, Texas-based grocery giant Whole Foods.

You can guess what happened next.

Whole Foods, of course, is a bete noire of the Left right now because their owner—while stocking organic food and compensating his employees generously—opposes unions and opposed Obamacare (Balko has posted a hilarious guide to creating a lefty-protest-proof store).  Mackey’s employees are happy, his customers are happy—but because he does not have correct views on unionization and healthcare, he’s evil.

You really have to read the entire article from Reason.  It’s filled with all kind of over-educated fact-free pontification from activists.  They are so completely wrong on everything—gentrification, the quality of Hi-Lo, the needs of the community—that it’s almost laughable.

And it gets even stupider.  Balko flagged a blog from a liberal who just moved into the neighborhood.  He wrote a piece opposing Whole Foods and his website was flooded with long-time local residents disagreeing with him.

His response?  He shut off comments.

We sometimes talk about the intellectual insularity of the Left, but you will rarely find as perfect an illustration as we are seeing in this Boston neighborhood.  The economists tells us Whole Foods isn’t hurting the neighborhood, the employees tell us they like working for Whole Foods, the residents say the want a Whole Foods.  Whole Foods is exactly the kind of business the Left should applaud.

But they have their point of view—Whole Foods bad, local businesses good.  And nothing and no one will be allowed to challenge this received truth.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/22/11 at 09:30 AM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 04/22/11 at 11:54 AM from United States

For shame!

They should be begging for a Central Market instead - better food, lower prices, bulk candy, ethnic food aisles, large wine selection…

Posted by on 04/22/11 at 02:00 PM from United States

In all seriousness, I fucking hate Whole Foods, or at least the ones here in Seattle.  But not for any of the reasons the libtards do.

Everything is hideously overpriced, sometimes by as much as double what it sells for only a block or two away, the staff is pretentious, and the stores are crammed with self-important old hippies and hipsters that yammer on about “organic” and “fair price” as if it actually meant anything relevant.

I find it to be like a Trader Joe’s (which I also despise), only larger and with even more smug.  Oh, and they always seem to be located someplace that has horrid traffic and parking.

Posted by Manwhore on 04/22/11 at 02:05 PM from United States

I only agree about scrutinizing the big boxes that need to be approved by city councils. I do this because if the store decides to close the city is then left with an enormous piece of property that no one else will be able to fill.

That said, Walmart’s go forward plan seems to be making smaller more regionally correct stores because they are A.) Easier to track for key item success and B.) much easier to get out of should they need to.

Posted by on 04/22/11 at 02:22 PM from United States

Are they really well meaning?  I think they get a lot of self satisfaction from what they do, get to show off to their friends about how they’re standing up to the corporate machine, etc.  I can’t believe they think they’re doing the poor any good, but then I’ve never been a liberal.

Posted by on 04/22/11 at 03:37 PM from United States

OT, but where is the obligatory post lampooning the dirt worshiping festivities known as Earth Day? My house backs up to open spaces (where I can blink wild furry critters with little interruption and fanfare) and I have been waiting all day for some do gooder to plant some trees so I can rip them out when he is gone and use them to ignite my bon fire made of old tires that I will commemorate this special day.

The closest Walmart for me is in Napa, about 25 miles, too far to be a regular. but I do like Trader Joe’s, they have stuff that I can ‘t get anywhere else, and the snooty patron’s don’t bother me. I park my gas guzzling American made SUV right next to all the Prius’, with this bumper sticker on it:

obamaposter41824.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hasn’t been “keyed” yet.

Posted by on 04/22/11 at 04:09 PM from United States

I find that just about anything I can get at Trader Joe’s (not everything, but damned close to it) I can pick up someplace else for less, with equal or greater quality.

For those few items that they carry that just can’t be located elsewhere, my wife just LOVES going there so I let her shop among the barely washed hippies.

Posted by on 04/22/11 at 05:09 PM from United States

Alright, I’ll get the ball rolling

Look, I like clean air, clean water, and recycle as much as the next guy, but how can anybody not want to strangle the life right out of these people? The women are usually fuggly (hairy pits?please) and the guys need to cut back on the estrogen injectons. And who are they kidding about focusing on the work day?

Tomorrow the high school is having a “Plant a tree” day to celebrate, my kid is going to score some extra credit (GPA and all that, you know), I gave him some choice talking points to mention to the teachers present, like, “It’s a shame how they are demonizing the unions”, and ,"If only they would just get out of the way and give Obama a chance), I figure if he plays his cards right he can be out of there by 11.

Posted by InsipiD on 04/22/11 at 07:39 PM from United States

Has anyone else seen this ad for the new Civic Hybrid yet?  It seems a little unwise to bite at the hand that feeds you, but this is hilarious.  We all know the types, and I can smell them from here.

Posted by Hal_10000 on 04/22/11 at 08:30 PM from United States

I’ve been swamped today, but am thinking about a post.  really, does anyone care about Earth Day anymore?

SO, agreed on Whole Foods.  I’m not a fan either.

Posted by on 04/22/11 at 10:24 PM from United States

As I was checking the ‘local on the 8’s’ via the Weather Channel last night a meteorologist referred to it as EARTH WEEK.(for real)