No legacy is so rich as honesty - William Shakespeare

What Did the Five Fingers Say to Jerry Brown’s Face?
by

Slap!

From the LA Times via Mish.  The best part of the whole article bolds by me:

“We’ll present a budget on Jan. 10. It will be a very tough budget, but it will be transparent,” he said. “We’ll lay it out as best I can. We’ve been living in fantasy land. It is much worse than I thought. I’m shocked.”

More deliciousness:

Brown has refused to publicly discuss his budget plans, but he has met privately with lawmakers and interest groups. People involved in the meetings expect him to enact an austerity budget in the spring, then hold a special election in which voters can decide whether to raise taxes or other revenues in order to restore services. He pledged during the campaign not to increase taxes without voter approval.

“This is really a huge challenge, unprecedented in my lifetime,” Brown told hundreds of educators, union representatives and parents who had gathered at UCLA. “I can’t promise you there won’t be more cuts, because there will be.”

Talk is cheap, of course, but to see Governor Moonbeam talk like this is just so satisfying on so many levels.

A remark from “beecnul8r” in the comments section jumped out at me, because I think it’s a classic example why California is in the shape that it’s in now:

Cool part of all this hubbub is that retirees like me can get the heck out of CA and enjoy much less costly living elsewhere.  It is a huge problem that so many folks don’t pay one red cent in state income taxes.  Nice to tell OTHERS how to spend THEIR tax money as long as YOU DON’T HAVE TO PAY ANYTHING.  We need a radical change so everyone pays something....then maybe they will realize how out beloved jokers in Sacramento blow it all on stupid programs.  Brown won’t make a dent in the shortfall because HE is PART of the PROBLEM, not the SOLUTION.  It was his programs that got us here in the first place.

As most inquisitive readers know, California’s pension system is a ticking time bomb that threatens to make the state’s budget go completely pear-shaped.  It’s not just the generous, gold-plated benefits a lot of these government workers recieve--it’s the fact that the state political machine THEY helped create, in many cases, isn’t even being supported by them in their retirement.  They cash out, move to a lower-populated state with a lower cost of living and friendlier tax structure, and proceed to disproportionately bend the cost of living upward in their new areas of residence.  So California (and others, like New York) doesn’t even get the “kiss from your sister” benefit of having these people stay in-state and put some of those taxpayer dollars back into the state and their communities.

Now, I don’t blame these people one bit for getting the hell out of Cali.  One of my ex-girlfriends and I split up in large part because I absolutely refused to move out there after she finished law school; I know damn well how fucked the state is right now, and you could not pay me enough to settle out there.  I don’t give a shit how nice the weather is.  What does bug me is when they move to these low-tax havens, and immediately begin agitating to turn their new communities in the high-tax, high-regulation, PC-hellhole that they just left, primarily because their very presence threw the previously sustainable economic scale these places had enjoyed completely out of whack--a phenomenon that’s seems to have been a trend in throughout the American West for the last 25 years.  If they loved that environment so much, why the fuck did they leave?

All that aside, I’ll be interested to see how this plays out in the coming weeks.  The SEIU and AFSCME goons aren’t going to be happy at all if Moonbeam actually follows through on those spending cuts.

Posted by on 12/16/10 at 05:28 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 12/16/10 at 10:29 PM from United States

My company has a major presence in SoCal and is gradually beefing it up while at the same time minimizing my office.  One of the things that has slowed down this trend is that they know from experience that, given the choice, over 95% of the employees will quit rather than move.

Quite bluntly, if we wanted to live in California, we’d already be there.  The place is fucked, and we haven’t been shy about telling them that.

Posted by on 12/16/10 at 11:02 PM from United States

I moved away from there two years ago. The weather is nice, but getting four seasons is even better in my opinion. Outside of my friends, I don’t miss it one bit. And they still owe me 400 dollars in tax refunds. I got an IOU that no bank seems to want to take, even though it was supposed to be valid for deposit after oct of last year.

Posted by on 12/16/10 at 11:41 PM from United States

I love Brown’s election for one reason.  THIS

I got to crank this to my social studies kids the day after the election.  Ahhhhhhh.  A bunch of 8th graders telling each other to “mellow out or you will pay”

sweet sweet DKs

Posted by on 12/17/10 at 06:40 AM from United States

It looks to me like Brown is making the right moves. He is saying basically that he will cover the basics and if you want the extras you have to pay for them. And by putting it up to a vote, it’s all in the voters’ lap.

Posted by AlexinCT on 12/17/10 at 09:17 AM from United States

Heh, I need to see it in action to believe it. I doubt Brown does anything that will hurt the powerful unions, and that means in the end the people that will pay are all the other retards that have been subsidizing the demcorat machine in CA.

Posted by on 12/17/10 at 12:02 PM from United States

No argument here.

Personally, I’d love to see Gov. Moonbeam give the left all it wants and raise taxes...maybe an 80% rate for everyone making over $1 million...and huge tax increases on business. Then I would pull out my stop watch and time how quickly the hypocritical ‘tax me more’ hollywood left abandon ship.

Posted by on 12/17/10 at 12:38 PM from Australia

Get the stopwatch out in advance or you’ll miss it completely.

Posted by on 12/17/10 at 03:57 PM from United States

they have already killed Oregon/Washington State with the first exodus in the 80’s and they are trying real hard with the rest, Iowa, where I used to live is coming in with the new onslaught, they have been driving up the real estate costs for a few years now.

Posted by Manwhore on 12/17/10 at 05:00 PM from United States

Great post HL.

It sounds right, but HL and I have been blogging about CA’s implosion for quite some time. The problem is not the desire to cut programs but the legally binding conrtracts with labor that prevent us from downsizing.

As HL pointed out, the ballooning pension system is supported by the very same political lobby (Public labor Unions) that are a huge voting majority in state/local elections. Try to tell them their gravy train is over and they’ll get you kicked out on your ass. Try to furlough them and they’ll waste tax payer dollars in court. Try to negotiate with the Unions for layoffs and they refuse.

In addition to the pensions themselves there is also pension spiking (where an employee will save up all their sick time and vacation and cash it all in on the final year--thus counting as your “highest” annual salary and spiking the calculation used to calculate the pension), re-hiring after retirement (Jerry Brown is guilty of this), and the threats of denial of public services if there are layoffs.

Honestly, California’s only option seems more likely to be bankruptcy, and I believe that just transfers the burden to the Fed.

We’re screwed.