Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window - Steve Wozniak

Where Mah Money?

Oh this is exactly what we don’t need.

Iraqi money gambled away in the Philippines. Thousands spent on a swimming pool that was never used. An elevator repaired so poorly that it crashed, killing people.
A U.S. government audit found American-led occupation authorities squandered tens of millions of dollars that were supposed to be used to rebuild Iraq through undocumented spending and outright fraud.

In some cases, auditors recommend criminal charges be filed against the perpetrators. In others, it asks the U.S. ambassador to Iraq to recoup the money.

Dryly written audit reports describe the Coalition Provisional Authority’s offices in the south-central city of Hillah being awash in bricks of $100 bills taken from a central vault without documentation.

It describes one agent who kept almost $700,000 in cash in an unlocked footlocker and mentions a U.S. soldier who gambled away as much as $60,000 in reconstruction funds in the Philippines.

“Tens of millions of dollars in cash had gone in and out of the South-Central Region vault without any tracking of who deposited or withdrew the money, and why it was taken out,” says a report by the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction, which is in the midst of a series of audits for the Pentagon and State Department.

If I was Bush I’d come out first thing tomorrow, call a press conference, and head this off at the pass by announcing a high-level public investigation into these charges.  Because the Democrats in Congress are sure as hell going to do it.  He won’t do this, of course.  He’ll wait until it’s snowballed into a major election issue, then make some kind of weak-ass two sentence response like he always does.

Posted by Lee on 01/29/06 at 11:25 PM (Discuss this in the forums)

Comments

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 01:37 AM from United States

Bush really pisses me off sometimes. He has delayed this border security fence for 5 years, and the other day his operative Karl Rove played the old saw of Mexicans doing jobs Americans won’t do, when asked about the fence on Hewitt’s radio program.

I called my California state senator (Dem) the other day, and her phone person literally laughed at me when I told her how upset I was over her vote for the bill giving licenses to illegals. Geez, these are citizens of another country who don’t even vote here.

With Bush, everything is a fucking smokescreen. His goal in life is to do absolutely nothing, and to delay everything for 3 more years when he is out of office. Then he get gets to work on his stupid library while the rest of us suffer.

Fuck all of you.

Posted by mikeguas on 01/30/06 at 01:56 AM from United States

I agree SUV. Fuck Bush and the GOP. I wouldn’t be pissed about the CA senator though. It was either that shitbag Boxer, or numbnuts Fienstien you were dealing with. Don’t expect anything better from them.

The GOP needs to get back to doing what it does best. Sitting on the outside looking in, telling us all if they had a chance to make things different they would. If I’m going to have to rip on a person for pushing the Democratic party principles, it should a Democrat I’m ripping on. I can’t see the GOP lasting much longer. We already have a Democratic party. What a major waste of opportunity these guys were given. They’ll never get it again. Fuck ‘em.

Posted by mikeguas on 01/30/06 at 02:03 AM from United States

I called my California state senator

Oops. Didn’t see the word state. That’s even worse. They still pulling that 20% approval rating? I’m so ready to leave this state.

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 02:42 AM from United States

Someone please explain to me how these $2 tomatos grown in Mexico I buy at Safeway today are going to cost $5 when California growers are forced to employ legal help. The damn things are IMPORTED from Mexico or Chile already!

And even if they do cost $5. Imagine how much money you could make PICKING UP tomatos when you are paid $2 per tomato in the field.  I’m no expert tomato picker, but I think I could do TWO PER MINUTE. That’s like $4 per minute, or $240 per hour. Fuck Bush & Rove, let’s elect Kerry next time. This is bullshit.

Posted by HARLEY on 01/30/06 at 05:38 AM from United States

Well, Whit do you expect? Bush is obviously a piss poor manager. but the whole border thing is about $$$.... you try to get some white kids ,or black for that matter, out there in the hot sun sweating their ass off to pick fruit for you. WONT HAPPEN.....
Swear we are becoming more like Rome everyday....

BTW, i grow my own tomato’s durignthe summer, they taste a lot better than anything i get from the store..

As for theIraq thing, sounds liek some piss poor contorlsand leadership at this Privisonal Authority, they should all be sacked…

However, lets put this in a historical prospective. How much money was wasted during the Reconstruction of Europe in WW2, I’m willing to bet incidents like this were the norm too.
I am not excusing this, just mealy showing that things like this happen when people ans $$$ are involved in such situation.
watch for George Clonney to make a Movie out of this…

Posted by HARLEY on 01/30/06 at 05:52 AM from United States

speaking of a wast of money read this....

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 07:53 AM from United States

suv, Bush can’t run next time. I don’t think Rove is camera friendly enough to be elected. I think he realizes that and has no plans to run. Having said all that, why would Lurch do any better job keeping the smelly Mexicans you so despise from your sight? As I said before, I just can’t get that worked up about this Mexican thing. I’ve been in Mexico. It’s a shithole. I can’t them for wanting to be here.

The current immigration policy is broke. Bush did propose an alternative but people like you balked at it since it would still mean you would see Mexicans. What is your proposal? Shooting people who try to climb the fence?

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 08:37 AM from United States

However, he has let it be known that his “clandestine services” will be available to any GOP candidate that wants them.

Given his track record off “outclevering” and confounding the hapless democrats at virtually every turn, I’m sure someone will take him up on his offer.

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! etc. *grin*

Posted by mikeguas on 01/30/06 at 10:45 AM from United States

People balked at it because it would have meant simply handing out a card and saying, “Here, you are a guest worker.” No one has a problem with Mexicans coming here, as long as it is done in an orderly and legal manner, with a protected border. What’s this bullshit about how the government should be allowed to have more authority to spy on its citizens here, while non citizens can just run around our borders without scrutiny. If someone from Mexico wants to be a citizen or work here then great, but they should have to go through the legal process like everyone else on the planet.

So people decide to patrol the border themselves (many on private property as well) and Bush calls them vigilantes, because he is Fox’s bitch.

Here are some other things:

-- Huge Debt
-- Pushed the biggest increase in Socialized medicine in the history of this country with his Medicare bill
-- Talked about SS reform once, then forgot about it
-- Still hasn’t caught Bin Laden (Though I will admit that if a Democrat was in office in 2001, and today, we’d still be waiting for UN permission to have the Taliban hand him over)
-- The GOP talked about less dependence on foreign oil, then shot down ANWR.

Big, bloated, incompetent government. The GOP is different from the Dems how? Maybe I’m just stupid. Someone please let me know how they are all that different. How many feeding tubes do I have to shove in my body to get some action
out of these pricks?

Posted by Drumwaster on 01/30/06 at 11:01 AM from United States

Like Dennis Miller said, “We don’t mind if you come here. Just sign the guestbook on the way in...”

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 11:58 AM from United States

mishu - When Rove was talking on the radio, he said nothing about your “smelly Mexicans” - that’s sort of a sleazy thing to say. Rove was spewing his plan designed to fail of legitimizing illegal workers (amnesty), and asserting that nothing could be done with the border until everyone jumps on board with their amnesty plan. They know exactly what they are doing - stalling indefinitely.

Just remember the next time you are waiting hours in an E.R. (yes, that does happen now), that Mexican citizens are using the hospital beds Americans don’t want. Lots of Americans would enthusiastically pick tomatos for $240/hour.

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 02:29 PM from Canada

They’re paying $240/hr to pick tomatoes? Where? Sign me up.

Go to a private hospital then. Let the supply/demand thing work its magic.

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 06:49 PM from United States

The scare story we always hear is tomatoes will cost $5 if only legal workers are used. If they pay you only $2 to pick each one, and you can do 2 per minute, you get $240/hour. Clearly the scare story is ridiculous.

E.R.s must serve everyone who walks in, regardless of whether they are private, regardless if the patient is insured.

Posted by mikeguas on 01/30/06 at 08:47 PM from United States

Go to a private hospital then. Let the supply/demand thing work its magic.

The laws of supply and demand of the free market goes out the window when the government is a player. Mishu, I had the impression that you were more of a conservative leaning person. Maybe I was reading someone else’s posts, or maybe you are one of those that thinks the GOP is such the pillar of freedom and pro free market that you are willing to sit back and watch them march with the Dems down the Socialist trail.  The proof is in the action of the party, not it’s rhetoric.

Posted by on 01/30/06 at 09:01 PM from Japan

Health care provision is a little different from services subject to regular market forces, in that it requires substantial regulation.

The trick is to find a way to create competition without undermining public health.

Next entry: Brokeback